Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: DrRocka on 22 January, 2018, 12:35:33 AM
I have literally just THIS SECOND realised that when Fink Angel refers to his "pizen" it's his Cursed Earth Drawl way of saying "poison" 🤯

What on earth did you think he meant?!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

DrRocka

I've no idea! I must have been about 9 or 10 when I first read The Fink so all I can assume is that I thought it was some kind of futurespeak that meant nothing. I do love a good 2am moment of sudden realisation.

Next up, I'll be revealing that Monty Python and Pink Floyd weren't actually real people, and that the world wasn't actually black and white until someone invented colour in the late sixties.....
Never ever bloody anything ever

TordelBack

Quote from: DrRocka on 22 January, 2018, 09:12:12 AM
Pink Floyd [was]n't actually real people...

He was, he just wasn't well and stayed back at the hotel.

Woolly

Quote from: TordelBack on 22 January, 2018, 09:16:15 AM

He was, he just wasn't well and stayed back at the hotel.

Yeah but, which ones Pink?

NapalmKev

Quote from: TordelBack on 22 January, 2018, 09:16:15 AM

He was, he just wasn't well and stayed back at the Hotel

Well done, that man! Made me smile.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

And reading this, I've just this second realised that when Fink says "pizen", he is probably saying "pye-zen" and not "pizzen", as I have been reading the whole of my damn life.
SBT

sheridan

Quote from: Dash Decent on 08 January, 2018, 09:20:09 AM
Yep, left handed people are bad and sinister.

If you're ambi-dexter-ous, it's like you have two right (i.e. good/useful) hands.

And right handed people are dextrous / have greater dexterity.

sheridan

Something it took me three stories to realise was why Harry Heston is called Heston (Planet of the Apes).

JayzusB.Christ

Just been watching loads and loads of Steptoe and Son (it was a bit before my time) and realised that Look Out for Lefty (in Action, also a bit before my time) is blatantly Steptoe meets Roy of the Rovers.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

Bit of S&S trivia: the "Son" in Steptoe and Son is Albert, not Harold.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 08 February, 2018, 11:16:36 PM
Bit of S&S trivia: the "Son" in Steptoe and Son is Albert, not Harold.

Just discovered that recently too!
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

Heh, poor old Harold hasn't even got his name on the gate. Those old fashioned writers really thought things through!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 08 February, 2018, 11:26:40 PM
Heh, poor old Harold hasn't even got his name on the gate. Those old fashioned writers really thought things through!

Never twigged that,  absolute genius.

Fungus

That's inspired  :)
Very likely it occurred to them in a flash (no planning required) but in any case it's just perfect...

The Legendary Shark

On the same note but a different track, I remember an interview with Bob Larbey and John Esmonde in which they revealed a secret about Margo from The Good Life which informed their writing of the character but was never revealed in the series. As a teenager, Margo fell for a boy from the wrong side of the tracks and was sent away to have an abortion. Though not a suitable topic for sit-com, this character fact explains her secret attraction to the unconventional Tom, her repressed loathing of her conventional husband and her obsession with keeping up a respectable appearance.

I think they had similar secrets for all the characters in the series but I can't remember what they were or if they revealed them.

Now that's how to write characters!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]