Main Menu

-=>SONY vs NINTENDO

Started by -=>DEMONIZER<=-, 10 March, 2004, 03:01:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

-=>DEMONIZER<=-

Video games have mutated into terribly flashy but empty experiences in recent years - does anyone find the current glut of 1st/3rd-person shooters simply boring after a few goes?

Sony with their Playstation 2 have given us one of the best games ever made - GRAND THEFT AUTO (the third one was the groundbreaker, with VICE CITY upping the brilliance even more) - but it has spawned lots of derivative and bland immitations that nevertheless sell by the bucketload.

Innovative new ideas are an increasing rarity - something totally never-done-before like PONG, SPACE INVADERS, BREAKOUT, PAC MAN is simply not going to happen when games producers are preoccupied with the demand for "realistic action" and guns, guns, guns.

I am grateful to Nintendo for refusing to bow to the Sony mentality of churning out macho and hot-selling but soul-less fare aimed at 14-year-olds.

Nintendo certainly make games aimed at kids, but craft their software with thought for adults and an ingenuity that lifts even their most whimsical theme way above the more realistic/serious "that'll-do" games offered by the Playstation mob.

stront692

i always said this was going to happe when SONY came in to the videogame market - they upped the stakes, a lot of what we are playing now are just 3d versions of the ATARI originals with knobs on

i make a habit of supporting the underdog, it means i can buy less games a year comfortably but i think it keeps a bit of diversity in the market

the dreamcast was brilliant, and there are so many criminally under supported games on that platform SEGA has now sided with NINTENDO as well now (although with SEGA AMERICA largely siding with MICROSOFT and SEGA JAPAN largely siding with SONY but they are making ingenious new title for the under supported platform that go on to be hits bcos of a lack of software support)

NINTENDO pulled the plug on the original PLAYSTATION famicom CD drive bcos they didnt like SONYs ideas for videogames (they were something like the old FMV games and they wanted freedom to make their own, they basically want to converge movies, music and games onto one medium costing ?40 a time with mega sales), i think a lot of people have forgotten this

the old 2d shooters can be good when done right though

VampiraJen

i'm currently playing grand theft auto: vice city..oh, the mindless violence, oh, the crass swaering...oh, how i wish K-chat radio was real...i'm in heaven.

I was a sega person in my youth, then PSOne, now PS2...so i guess....

....DEATH TO NINTENDO!  DEATH TO THE MARIO BROTHERS!  LONG LIVE SONIC, LARA, CRASH BANDICOOT AND THE ENTIRE CAST OF FINAL FANTASY SEVEN (excluding cait sith)!!!!

-=>DEMONIZER<=-

Mario games have loads of depth - in comparison Sonic and Bandicoot have not.

The Legend of Zela games have ingenious levels and engrossing puzzles to solve - Tomb Raiders pale in comparison.

Final Fantasy series is highly rated I suppose.

Toad would kick Sonic's spiky ass, let alone Mario!

Steamboy

Topic close to my heart, I used to love computer games with a passion, it was MY pass time and I knew so much about it and was also good at it. I found that with the passing years and the market push towards 3D action games that everyone can enjoy have led to a massive dumbing down of games and as a result i find I've gone from purchasing a new game every week to getting maybe 2 titles a year, then only if they're worth the time and money to play. I dont want to play Tombraider 10 or Medal of Honour generic shooter I want a bit of originality in my games, dumb ass 3D action games that all control the same because of lazy ass PS2 owners cant be fu#ked learning a new control layout......gah I'm ranting this topic always does that to me sorry if none of thats coherant I guess my main point is I'm fighting with Nintendo Block who you with?
One last thing the best 3D game ever made would have to be Metroid Prime pure sweet original gameplay(sure it looked like a FPS but the gameplay was so well translated from the earlier 2D games it was anything but a FPS).

CU Krestel

stront692

we have always had this debate since the 8 bits, the c64 owners had the biggest market being popular in america and all - the spectrum had the iggest number of owners while i had an amstrad cpc and was very happy, sure we had to put up with a few spectrum ports but u just bought those on budget and every else took the mick out of us so im used to that but we had a dedicated fanbase that made games for our computer that other machines couldnt cope with

now its moved but u still have playstation with the most titles and units, microsoft coming in with the most money and not much else and again im quite happy with my gamecube (i have an xbox for the essentials mind but if a game comes out cross platform that i like, i buy it on gamecube - just bcos)

Jared Katooie

Nintendo have a heart albeit a small one. Sony do not. I dearly love sonic but SEGA putting him in games that are sh1t.

I dont care whether kids can play a game or not. I buy it if it's good. Or rather I would except I have no money.

Sony have gotten away with murder for years. Cursing and violence subtly creeping into their adverts and crap game after crap game selling millions.

The playstation 2 is regarded as the best console out there game-wise and even power-wise despite the fact that the X-Box has a better processor, spectacular games and a free hard drive which makes memory cards unnecessary.

Even the gamecube a fairly processor weak console has graphics which easily outstrip those of the PS2 but does anyone care? No, because the Playstation can afford to hang onto grand theft auto so every child in the world can nag their idiotic parents into buying them one and the gamecube is for "babies" and the X-box is for "nerds".

Games are my life, not just playing but studying them experiencing the world of games. Unlike comics games are successful but like comics profiteering is killing them.

The new X-Box will come without a hard drive. Why? Because it's more cost-effective to take the Sony route and rip people off with expensive memory cards than it is too be generous and hope younger gamers will be smart enough to realise it. They wont. They're stupid and rich and all they want is the game their friends tell them they should want.

I'm sorry if it appears I've gone insane but this is the one subject in the world which is really important to me. I like games but I'm not rich enough to play them anymore. And with todays consoles you cant win anyway...

So in answer to your implied question I like Nintendo better.

But if you want a company with a future look elsewhere.

http://www.famitsu.com/game/special/e3/2001/2001/05/17/69_260_mario.gif>

Matt Timson

Ok people, it looks like we have a problem.  Somebody switched Jared with some other thoughtful, sensitive kid.

Jaredkatooie in "straight from the heart" shocker!

;)
Pffft...

Jared Katooie

Bah! I have no heart. I'm just... bitter because others make more money than I do!

Matt

GGGRRRRRRR....now all this Sony slating has gotten me in a fighting mood. Okay the PS2 may not be the most powerful console on earth, and yes there is a huge glut of developers churning out pap games, but with a little help from the likes of Gamespy it's not too hard to short out the wheat from the chaff. Over the past year I've being fortunate to play some of the best games on PS2 that I've ever experienced, and I've being playing games week in week out since the speccy 48k. Splinter Cell, Vice City, Prince of Persia, Everything or Nothing, Hitman, Freedom Fighters, SSX 3 and Manhunt have all kept me enthralled and fired my love affair with the console.

As for "...azy ass PS2 owners [who] cant be fu#ked learning a new control layout", all I can say is if it ain't broke don't fix it. The Dual Shock pad is still one of the best control pads going. And I don't buy this arguement that Sony = big corporation = capitalist scumbags. I think you'll find that most PS2 games can be bought online for under 30 quid. You try finding Nintendo new releases that cheap.

Matt

"I want a bit of originality in my games"

What like Mario Kart, Super Mario Kart, Mario Kart 64 and Mario Kart Double Dash? And don't even get me started on Mario Land, Starfox & Mario Party. All bursting with originality eh ;)

Slippery PD

I always find these arguments great.  Its pretty poor all in all and quite indicative fo the Brittish mind set, if something is doing something well and is popular its about time we knocked them down.  

In all forms of entertainment, the most popular things tend to be toned down and bland.  Look at books!  Look at the music charts!  Look at comics!  Look at Films! All the same.  Its quite astounding that anyone thinks that games will be different...

As with most things popular means that things will be copied, if someone pays for something once why not try and get them to pay for something similair again.  Its how making money works.......  

Anyone should be able to distinguish a good game by reading reviews etc, and similarly know if they will like it or not.  The MAJOR advantage the PS2 has is that it was backward compatible, allowing all PS1 games to be played on it.  No one really wants three old systems lying around in their house taking up space, just so they can play an old game every now and then.

Jared - loved yer post.  But holding up Microsoft as a Paragon of Virtue against Sony is rather funny :)

Yer Slips  

Jared Katooie

"Jared - loved yer post. But holding up Microsoft as a Paragon of Virtue against Sony is rather funny :)"

That wasn't quite the point I as trying to make Slips, but I'll let it slide. >:)

Jared Katooie

http://www.alinden.demon.nl/humor/doceng/images/ntdoes.jpg>

Pyroxian

>LONG LIVE LARA

No, no Lara is dead - Eidos have killed the license with the latest few games.

Now Prince of Persia, that's how Tomb Raider should've been...

Still prefer my Dreamcast though ;) Mmm, Ikaruga...

Steve