Favourite kids t.v programme

Started by Gonk, 03 March, 2012, 09:07:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gonk

coming at a cinema near you soon

Satanist

That show was plucking disgusting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kclq2zGQy4w

I liked Dungeons and Dragons but watched it not long ago with the kids and its crap.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Spikes

Mmm, so many to choose from really but ill go for this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYkkfBMK-7c
The Changes (1975) was pretty freaky stuff, and can well recall the warning that came before the programme, and being a crafty 7 year old, id turn the volume down so my mother wouldnt come through and make me switch it off.
Doubtful we'll ever see a full DVD release for this, but maybe somebody could licence it from the BBC.

SKD

Noggin the Nog, Bagpuss, The Clangers & Ivor the Engine. Smallfilms are the kings of childrens TV, timeless magic.  :D

Stew. (feeling old)

SpetsnaZ99

A great one from when i was a kid

Teach Yourself Gibberish
You ever notice that everyone who believes in creationism looks really unevolved? Eyes real close together, big furry hands and feet. "I believe God created me in one day." Yeah, looks like he rushed it.

strontium71

Far too many from the past to warrant calling them favourites , but I used to really like the Red Hand Gang , the Machine Gunners , Stig of the Dump ( original one ) , and Phoenix and the Carpet ( again , the original one ).
There was also another programme that I liked , I can't remember it's name though. It was foreign , and had a lad , a goose and a magic laser or something?

Me too feeling old.
...because I hate you.

SmallBlueThing

It's hard to mention anything else but dr who, really. That was the kids' show that i liked best when i was a nipper.

Otherwise, ivor the engine every time. And lost islands.

SBT

Beeks

"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

Gonk

coming at a cinema near you soon

Professor Bear

Fave old school shows were probably Ulysses 31, Trap Door, Gilbert's Fridge, Alias the Jester, and Duckula.

Quote from: Judge Jack on 03 March, 2012, 11:22:13 AMDoubtful we'll ever see a full DVD release for this, but maybe somebody could licence it from the BBC.

I watched The Changes only a few days ago via Youtube, and while I'd agree that the premise alone is something that could never be made by the cheese-eating mums that currently run the BBC, it actually isn't much good and wouldn't stand up to the scrutiny of modern kids and their postmodern deconstruction, as it is essentially a story about how anyone who doesn't live in the city is a hair's breadth away from becoming a murdering savage, though middle class schoolchildren are luckily on hand to point out what an idiot you are and tell you what to do even if you are a billion year old monolith who is also Merlin and this is why things will turn out okay.

Current fave kids' tv shows - because when you watch shows for adults that are more juvenile than a lot of cartoons you may as well be watching cartoons anyway - are probably:
House of Anubis, a largely rubbish soap which sucker-punches you with gothic undertones that build up as the series progresses into a melodramatic mystery surrounding the goings-on in an exclusive English boarding school.  It doesn't play anything up or draw attention to the spooky stuff, it just has it happen matter-of fact onscreen and then moves on, giving it a feel of something akin to a regular daily soap, albeit one for younger teens.
Thundercats - the rebooted show.  Sacrilege to say it, most likely, but it's a far better show than the original.  [spoiler]Panthro having both his arms ripped off in the act of murdering a friend who betrayed him and then saying "Worth it" is a genuinely badass moment.[/spoiler]
Transformers Prime is probably the first time I have enjoyed anything involving animated Transformers since I was 8.  Like the Thundercats reboot, it has its ups and downs, but is largely entertaining stuff.
Kamen Rider Fourze - latest entry in the Kamen Rider series, and by now the ongoing mass murder of cast members has been dropped in favor of colourful toy advertising and pratfalls, but as much as I couldn't get on with iterations that preceded this such as 000 or Double, there's something about this one and the main character's daft quest to unironically fist-bump everyone that tries to murder him that makes it fun.  Not even on nodding terms with logic, it's as good an endorsement of ADD as you'll ever find.
Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc is probably the first time I have ever actually enjoyed a Scooby Doo cartoon on its own terms.  Heavily influenced by 1970s horror movies right down to having the DJ from the Warriors on their crew and a score that sounds very John Carpenter-ish, there's a lot of hand-waving at the notion of looking for a logical explanation in a world where a talking dog attends high school and solves mysteries, but it's still pretty fun.
Tower Prep, from several years ago, is a teen soap opera from Batman: The Animated Series creator Paul Dini, and is basically The Prisoner in a high school.  A young man wakes up in an exclusive school surrounded by huge walls, sheer cliffs and woods in which things prowl by night and is told that his parents have dumped him there because of his troublemaking back home.  Could have been utterly terrible, but in eschewing the juvenile reliance on gore, cheap shock and dated-as-soon-as-they're-uttered cultural references that make watching something like Supernatural or Secret Circle such a chore, it feels like you aren't being patronised for watching it, an increasingly rare feeling with a lot of modern genre telly, I feel.

Roger Godpleton

You're the ghost of Mike Gloady, aren't you?
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Link Prime

Too much to choose from...Transformers, Godzilla, He-Man, MASK, Spider-Man & his Amazing Friends???
All good, but for me it had to be 'Ulysess 31'. Sweet Grud, the intro / theme song has been playing in my head for 27 years!!!!

Batman's Superior Cousin

Various including:
Alienators: Evolution Continues, American Gothic, Aladdin, Alvin and the Chipmunks, A Pup Named Scooby-Doo, Are You Afraid of the Dark?, Around the World with Willy Fog, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes: The Animated Series, Back to the Future: The Animated Series, Barbar, Barney & Friends, Batman Beyond, Biker Mice from Mars, Boot Street Gang, Brum, Bucky O'Hare and the Toad Wars, Captain Planet and the Planeteers, Captain Simian & the Space Monkeys, Cardcaptors, Conan the Adventurer, C.O.P.S., Cow and Chicken, Dexter's Laboratory, Digimon, Dinosaurs, Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears, Don't Eat the Neighbours, Doug, Dr. Zitbag's Transylvania Pet Shop, Earthworm Jim, Eerie, Indiana, Eerie, Indiana: The Other Dimension, Extreme Ghostbusters, Fantastic Four, Fantomcat, Fillmore!, Fraggle Rock, Free Willy, Galaxy High, Gargoyles, God, the Devil and Bob, Halfway Across the Galaxy and Turn Left, Hammerman, Hey Arnold!, Insektors, Invader Zim, Iron Man, Jackie Chan Adventures, James Bond Jr., Johnny Bravo, Land of the Giants, Men in Black: The Series, Mighty Max, Oscar's Orchestra, Out of Sight, Out of Tune, Peter Pan and the Pirates, Pingu, Pinky and the Brain, Popeye and Son, Potsworth & Co., Power Rangers, ReBoot, Recess, Rocko's Modern Life, Roger and the Rottentrolls, Roswell Conspiracies: Aliens, Myths and Legends, Samurai Pizza Cats, Sharky & George, Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century, Sonic Underground, Spider-Man, Stressed Eric, SuperTed, TaleSpin, The Adventures of Grady Greenspace, The Adventures of Jonny Quest, The Angry Beavers, The Animals of Farthing Wood, The Baskervilles, The Batman, The Demon Headmaster, The Dreamstone, The Hurricanes, The Incredible Hulk, The Invaders, The Moomins, The Morph Files, The Mummy: The Animated Series, The New Adventures of He-Man, The Pirates of Dark Water, The Raccoons, The Real Ghostbusters, The Smurfs, The Ren and Stimpy Show, The Spooks of Bottle Bay, The Storykeepers, The Tick, The Tomorrow People, The Trap Door, The Wizard of Oz, Time Trax, VR Troopers, Where's Wally?, Wish Kid & X-Men.
The Key Favourites being:
Are You Afraid of the Dark?, Around the World with Willy Fog, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes: The Animated Series, Back to the Future: The Animated Series, Barney & Friends, Batman Beyond, Biker Mice from Mars, Boot Street Gang, Bucky O'Hare and the Toad Wars, Captain Simian & the Space Monkeys, Cardcaptors, Conan the Adventurer, C.O.P.S., Digimon, Dr. Zitbag's Transylvania Pet Shop, Earthworm Jim, Eerie, Indiana, Eerie, Indiana: The Other Dimension, Extreme Ghostbusters, Fantomcat, Fillmore!, Free Willy, Halfway Across the Galaxy and Turn Left, Hey Arnold!, Invader Zim, Johnny Bravo, Land of the Giants, Men in Black: The Series, Pingu, ReBoot, Recess, Rocko's Modern Life, Roger and the Rottentrolls, Roswell Conspiracies: Aliens, Myths and Legends, Samurai Pizza Cats, Sharky & George, Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century, Sonic Underground, Spider-Man, Stressed Eric, The Angry Beavers, The Animals of Farthing Wood, The Baskervilles, The Batman, The Demon Headmaster, The Dreamstone, The Invaders, The New Adventures of He-Man, The Pirates of Dark Water, The Raccoons, The Real Ghostbusters, The Ren and Stimpy Show, The Tick, The Tomorrow People, VR Troopers & Where's Wally?
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Batman's Superior Cousin

Sorry for the double post but I have UPDATED the list:

Various including:

Alienators: Evolution Continues, American Gothic, Aladdin, Alvin and the Chipmunks, A Pup Named Scooby-Doo, Are You Afraid of the Dark?, Around the World with Willy Fog, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes: The Animated Series, Back to the Future: The Animated Series, Barbar, Barney & Friends, Batman Beyond, Biker Mice from Mars, Boot Street Gang, Brum, Bucky O'Hare and the Toad Wars, Captain Planet and the Planeteers, Captain Simian & the Space Monkeys, Cardcaptors, Conan the Adventurer, C.O.P.S., Cow and Chicken, Dexter's Laboratory, Digimon, Dinosaurs, Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears, Don't Eat the Neighbours, Doug, Dr. Zitbag's Transylvania Pet Shop, Earthworm Jim, Eerie, Indiana, Eerie, Indiana: The Other Dimension, Extreme Ghostbusters, Fantastic Four, Fantomcat, Fillmore!, Fraggle Rock, Free Willy, Galaxy High, Gargoyles, God, the Devil and Bob, Halfway Across the Galaxy and Turn Left, Hammerman, Hey Arnold!, Insektors, Invader Zim, Iron Man, Jackie Chan Adventures, James Bond Jr., Johnny Bravo, Land of the Giants, Land of the Lost, Malcolm in the Middle, Men in Black: The Series, Mighty Max, Oscar's Orchestra, Out of Sight, Out of Tune, Peter Pan and the Pirates, Pingu, Pinky and the Brain, Popeye and Son, Potsworth & Co., Power Rangers, ReBoot, Recess, Rocko's Modern Life, Roger and the Rottentrolls, Roswell Conspiracies: Aliens, Myths and Legends, Samurai Pizza Cats, Sharky & George, Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century, Sonic Underground, Spider-Man, Stressed Eric, SuperTed, TaleSpin, The Adventures of Grady Greenspace, The Adventures of Jonny Quest, The Angry Beavers, The Animals of Farthing Wood, The Baskervilles, The Batman, The Demon Headmaster, The Dreamstone, The Hurricanes, The Incredible Hulk, The Invaders, The Moomins, The Morph Files, The Mummy: The Animated Series, The New Adventures of He-Man, The Pirates of Dark Water, The Raccoons, The Real Ghostbusters, The Simpsons, The Smurfs, The Ren and Stimpy Show, The Spooks of Bottle Bay, The Storykeepers, The Tick, The Tomorrow People, The Trap Door, The Wizard of Oz, Time Trax, VR Troopers, Where's Wally?, Wish Kid & X-Men.

The Key Favourites being:

Are You Afraid of the Dark?, Around the World with Willy Fog, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes: The Animated Series, Back to the Future: The Animated Series, Barney & Friends, Batman Beyond, Biker Mice from Mars, Boot Street Gang, Bucky O'Hare and the Toad Wars, Captain Simian & the Space Monkeys, Cardcaptors, Conan the Adventurer, C.O.P.S., Digimon, Dr. Zitbag's Transylvania Pet Shop, Earthworm Jim, Eerie, Indiana, Eerie, Indiana: The Other Dimension, Extreme Ghostbusters, Fantomcat, Fillmore!, Free Willy, Halfway Across the Galaxy and Turn Left, Hey Arnold!, Invader Zim, Johnny Bravo, Land of the Giants, Land of the Lost, Malcolm in the Middle, Men in Black: The Series, Pingu, ReBoot, Recess, Rocko's Modern Life, Roger and the Rottentrolls, Roswell Conspiracies: Aliens, Myths and Legends, Samurai Pizza Cats, Sharky & George, Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century, Sonic Underground, Spider-Man, Stressed Eric, The Angry Beavers, The Animals of Farthing Wood, The Baskervilles, The Batman, The Demon Headmaster, The Dreamstone, The Invaders, The New Adventures of He-Man, The Pirates of Dark Water, The Raccoons, The Real Ghostbusters, The Ren and Stimpy Show, The Tick, The Tomorrow People, VR Troopers & Where's Wally?
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Mardroid

I liked American Gothic, but it definitely wasn't a kids show.

Unless there are a couple of programmes sharing that title of course, which is quite possible.