Main Menu

Meg 391 Brute Force

Started by Proudhuff, 20 December, 2017, 01:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

judgerufian

Cheers all, the Wagners Walk missing episode really threw me and when i checked the front of the floppy and saw it skipped some issues of Tornado, i was none the wiser!
I have to say these reprints are far superior to prog stuff released only a few years ago, any 'new' stuff like this gets my vote for future editions.

Magnetica

I have just read Wagner's Walk.

Personally i think it is good to have non 2000AD re-prints as there is far more chance I haven't read them before.

The story strikes me as fairly typical of the time and is similar in feel to stuff like Invasion or Disaster 1999 from 2000AD, in as much as it is a fairly episodic adventure  (despite being portrayed as part of a wider ongoing narrative, which seems to just be an excuse to keep it going), with our "heroes" getting into a scrap each week and then finding a variety of unlikely ways to get out of them.

Also as seemed to happen to some other strips it wraps up incredibly quickly which comes across as not because the story is done, but more that editorial needed to it to end ( I don't know it that is actually the case - that is just how it looks).

It also features some major plot holes, the worst offenders being:

- surviving an Atom bomb blast at point blank range
- the way Seremkov decides to help them and the way he smuggles them into the base
- curing radiation poisoning with a blood transfusion
- how come Hilder helps Wagner and his friends and then a couple of episodes later turns totally against them?
- how come Wagner and Karl were going to be executed immediately but Hilder not until the morning, conveniently giving Wagner time to rescue him?

but...this sort of thing was par for the course for some strips of that time and it was aimed at 8 to 10 year olds, not 48  to 50 year olds...

A.Cow

Quote from: Magnetica on 21 January, 2018, 05:13:13 PM
It also features some major plot holes, the worst offenders being:
- surviving an Atom bomb blast at point blank range

It's a mistake to think that everything is vaporised in a nuclear explosion.
https://youtu.be/znmZeEycRwE?t=19m06s

OK, it's improbable that a human being could survive (e.g. Indiana Jones in a fridge) but don't forget that the early atomic bomb tests used relatively small devices.