Main Menu

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: THE TEMPEST

Started by JOE SOAP, 20 July, 2017, 09:32:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Quote from: Mardroid on 01 August, 2017, 04:34:20 PM
Yes, I haven't read it yet, but I've genuinely read positive things concerning the third book!

I was reluctant to read it as I wasn't keen on the second, but I may look out for it in future.

I'm not going to say it was great, but it was really solid stuff, and had a decidedly different flavour than what came before.
I picked up the oversized hardbacks- gorgeous, with great production values.
The slipcase sure looks pretty on the shelf.

Apestrife

To me it felt like the best bits of both DKR and DKSA, taken in a new direction. Something I really liked with is the meta aspect. It recognizes the influence both DKR and DKSA (which it had, but in another way than DKR) have had (for good and bad), and puts a twist on it.

Would be cool if Moore took things in a similar direction. But regardless, I'll be quite happy if Tempest delivers a twist to that's even half as insane as when [spoiler]Antichrist Harry Potter killing one of the main characters with lightning from his penis[/spoiler] :P

Rudolph88

Looking forward to it. The whole swipe [spoiler]Harry Potter being the Antichrist[/spoiler] I felt was Moore being a bit cynical and a little snobbish.

TordelBack

Quote from: Rudolph88 on 16 August, 2017, 02:37:06 PM
Looking forward to it. The whole swipe [spoiler]Harry Potter being the Antichrist[/spoiler] I felt was Moore being a bit cynical and a little snobbish.

Wasn't really just [spoiler]Potter[/spoiler] though, was it? [spoiler]It was all young wizards/chosen ones, the antichrist had a bit of Will Stanton from The Dark is Rising too, and if I'm remembering the right parody even Angelica Button from The Simpsons: likewise the railway and the school are mash-ups of numerous magical trains and schools of wizardry. If anything Moore is taking a pop at the narrow repetitive nature of a large and popular subset of children's literature.

However, his introduction of Voldemort in Century 1969 did rather steer us in this particular Rowlingward direction, and it would be odd to look at fictional characters of 2009 and not place Potter slap-bang centre stage: 450 million copies sold is a veritable literary singularity, which is probably the point.  [/spoiler]Better than bloody Bella Swan anyway!

Also its not like [spoiler]Potter's public school predecessors [/spoiler]got off any easier (look at Bunter in the Black Dossier!), or indeed ANY of the dominant heroes of an earlier generation.  Look at poor Quartermain himself.