Main Menu

What happen to the new dredd movie ?

Started by Disate, 21 August, 2009, 06:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

when is the new movie going into production  ?

?
6 (26.1%)
??
17 (73.9%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Disate

I heard a while that new dredd movie was going into production ...what happened .

Did I miss something .

Also I`m a new member here ...SO HI EVERYBODY !!!
and were can I get Subscription to 2000 A.D. magazine .

thank you

Disate

JOE SOAP

Don't hold your breath about the film. I'm sure Wake the site administraator will give you the contact details for subscriptions since the main site is being refurbished.

Or you can buy each new prog digitally via www.clickwheel.net

Dandontdare

I'm not sure, but after long consideration I voted for  ?  rather than  ??.

Voting now stands on a knife-edge at 50:50

LARF

Back in may at the comic con the script had been written. Wagner had been given the script to read through and comment on, I expect well here more at Birmingham later in the year.

planetoid

QuoteBack in may at the comic con the script had been written. Wagner had been given the script to read through and comment on, I expect well here more at Birmingham later in the year.

That's interesting news. I guess the finance needs to be secured to make it actually happen but if the screenplay is written that's the first stage done. Let's hope Wagner gives the script the thumbs up. Perhaps he could be hired as a script consultant? Maybe deferred payment. He gets paid if the film gets made.  :D

Mike Gloady

Quote from: planetoid on 25 August, 2009, 12:21:16 PM
Let's hope Wagner gives the script the thumbs up. Perhaps he could be hired as a script consultant? Maybe deferred payment. He gets paid if the film gets made.  :D
Good idea.  That would ensure that he (and presumably Rebellion) are pleased with the script.  At least before the inevitable rewrites, the love interest, the introduction of full on democracy and Joe settling down with Hershey to raise helmeted brood of uncompromising but elected law enforceres.  It would also mean a lot of work, and therefore less wagner Dredd & Stronty Dog in your prog.  Still, it'd be worth it to get a GOOD movie made.

It would also be a nice touch to reward him for all the hard work he's done over the years.  Yes, he gets paid, but I think the man's commitment to the character (and the comic in general) is rather above and beyond.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Mike Gloady

Wow.  A whole 80% of us think "??" - YAY!

I think....

Odd_Bloke

shapeshifter

After re-visiting the Animatrix movies recently, I thought that doing the Dredd movie using CGI  in the vein of The Final Flight of the Osiris or the Final Fantasy movies would end the need to cast actors (read: Egos/Money Pits/Egos) and would be considerably less expensive than live action. The rendering engines available today, as the Rebellion game guys will attest, seem to make this a viable option, or at least one for consideration. ???

planetoid

QuoteAfter re-visiting the Animatrix movies recently, I thought that doing the Dredd movie using CGI  in the vein of The Final Flight of the Osiris or Final Fantasy the movies would end the need to cast actors (read: Egos/Money Pits/Egos) and would be considerably less expensive than live action. The rendering engines available today, as the Rebellion game guys will attest, seem to make this a viable option, or at least one for consideration.

Er...

Last Pixar film - Up.    Production Budget: $175 million

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=up.htm

Final Fantasy - The Spirits Within. Production Budget: $137 million

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=finalfantasy.htm

Viable option for Rebellion? You mentioned Final Fantasy - that cost over 100 million dollars to make. Withr respect, I think your example doesn't stand up to the facts! I think the only reason why we haven't seen a 2000AD film is the cost of  production, be it live action or CGI or cartoon. Film making, certainly at the level needed to bring Dredd or Rogue Trooper etc to life and do it well is ridiculously expensive, and it's most likely the reason why the recently announced Dredd film will never happen. We'd love to see a new Dredd film but we have to be realistic.

8LX- Compost Droid

Mike Gloady

Hey, I know this is crazy and I've no idea where the idea came from but I'll throw it out there.

Why don't Rebellion merge with Disney?

Hello?  GUYS?!?

planetoid

QuoteWhy don't Rebellion merge with Disney?

Judge Mouse, I presume.  ;)

I guess if a big company owned 2000AD/Rebellion it would increase the chances of a new Dredd film but my gut feeling is Rebellion would want to remain independent so they retain creative control over any 2000AD films and other media stuff. One of the reasons the original Dredd film was a bit crappy was IPC sold the rights to the producer Edward R. Pressman. IPC lostcreative control over the property and had no say how the film would end up. My guess is if Disney or DC owned 2000AD, Rebellion would not retain shares in the company and Disney or DC could do what they like with a new Dredd film. Having said that, DC didn't do bad with The Dark Knight. That was pretty good.

Odd_Bloke

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 01 September, 2009, 11:11:32 PM
Why don't Rebellion merge with Disney?

That would be an awesome art competition.

planetoid

I think the problem for 2000AD is its great strength - it's British - so it doesn't follow the conventional superhero route and it would be hard for a company like Disney to be interested. Walt Disney - the home of Mickey Mouse and Judge Dredd. I dunno, can't see it happening, the two don't seem to go together! :D And I can't see Tharg being told what to do by rich Disney executives.  ;)