Main Menu

General Lettering Discussion

Started by Bolt-01, 07 August, 2009, 03:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Odd_Bloke on 01 September, 2009, 12:19:00 AM

What font are you using here that isn't Comic Sans or Tim Sale?  And where can I find Tim Sale?

Tim Sale is a font from Comicraft, who are currently doing a special offer on Tim Sale: Upper and Lower Case (they're separate fonts, because Upper uses both character sets to provide variant character shapes), plus Tim Sale Brush (aka 'The Titles Font for Heroes') for a bargain $49 (~£30) -- the second of Emperor's two links takes you to that offer (also, here).

The font I've used to label the font samples is Bank Gothic, which will probably be familiar if you've ever watched '24' ...

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 01 September, 2009, 08:06:18 AM

Tim Sale is a font from Comicraft, who are currently doing a special offer on Tim Sale: Upper and Lower Case

Correction. The offer above is only for a physical CD with the fonts on.

If you scroll to the bottom of this page, then you can get the same deal for $0.95 more, although the international version (which you'll need if you want little things like a pound sign) is a less tempting $99.

Sorry for the misinformation.

Cheers!

Jim

Dog Deever

Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

SuperSurfer

I've posted this before, but I don't care about repeating myself if it helps to stop the Comic Sans epidemic.

http://bancomicsans.com/home.html
According to Microsoft: it's "the groovy script font". It's "FUN."

Dandontdare

Recently picked up The Marvel Visionaries: Spiderman by John Romita (from the bargain shelf in Travelling Man - just six squid)

It's got some of those amazing early spidey stories, but I wonder if poor sales can be attributed to this HORRIBLE typeface that is used throughout the book? It's ugly, barely legible and offends my eye!

Or is it a work of genius and I'm just a out-dated philistine? Give me THIS anytime!:

Emperor

Quote from: Dandontdare on 30 September, 2009, 07:08:37 PM
Recently picked up The Marvel Visionaries: Spiderman by John Romita (from the bargain shelf in Travelling Man - just six squid)

It's got some of those amazing early spidey stories, but I wonder if poor sales can be attributed to this HORRIBLE typeface that is used throughout the book? It's ugly, barely legible and offends my eye!

Oh I dunno - I as always a fan of the Ringpin of Crime. Urmm.. hold on. That sounds nasty, like if you broke your ass and they had to pin it back together.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Jim_Campbell

Man, that's fuckin' horrible!

Cheers!

Jim

Mike Gloady

The first job of a typeface is to communicate effectively.  If it doesn't do that then it may as well be linear B to me.

That it's plain ugly is almost a side issue.  But it is.  It's bloody hideous.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Bolt-01

Hoagy

I frikkin hate it when they refuse to use u's in the language too.

As in COLOUR amongst others. Its the pre-empt to chav-speak I tells yer! Kolloh!
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Mike Gloady

Recently came across the American spelling of "sulphur" can you guess?

That's right.

"SULFUR"

For funt's sake!
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Emperor

Quote from: KevLev on 07 August, 2009, 04:38:50 PMI'll just throw this out there as an aid to other amateurs looking for a relatively quick and cheap way of getting their own style of lettering as a usable font. The kerning is a bit off here and there - but I managed to make what I think is a passable hand-lettered style font.
http://www.yourfonts.com/
It's really simple - download the template - fill it in - upload it - test it and then pay the $9.95 via paypal to download your font. The font is a truetype .ttf file useable on both mac and pc.

Anyone use this, which seems to do the same thing but for free?

www.fontcapture.com
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Emperor

Free font from Phil Elliott:

www.elliott-design.com/font.html

TordelBack

Emperor

Todd Klein has written a lot of logos - now there is a tricky type issue:

http://kleinletters.com/LogosTop.html
http://kleinletters.com/Blog/?cat=4

Also - how not to letter comics, from a review of the Twilight manga by the ever reliable Chris Sims:

QuoteUnfortunately, once you actually start reading the book, it all falls apart completely.

And it's all because of the lettering.

That might seem like a small thing to pick on, but that's because like coloring, when lettering is done well, it doesn't draw a lot of attention to itself. As a result, a lot of people who are new to comics or who don't spend a lot of time thinking about them don't understand that lettering is an extremely complex art form unto itself that's evolved over the past 70 years into something that integrates with the art and dialogue to tell a story in a very specific way... when it's good. But like coloring, bad lettering is very, very easy to spot.

And "Twilight" has the worst lettering I have ever seen.

And by Tharg's third nut, it is bad!! Anyone going to Hi-Ex should buy Bolt a pint, thanks to his hard work it is less easy to sneak terrible lettering into even a small press comic. Scarily, this is not only professional work but it is going to be one of the biggest selling graphic novels of the year (after Watchmen I assume).

www.comicsalliance.com/2010/03/18/twilight-manga-review/

Now picture this: Jim Campbell running down to the book store, fighting off all the Twihards (Twitards?) and emerging with the tome in his sweaty fist, just so he can wallow in the terrible text.