Main Menu

Prog One remake, care of Warren Ellis

Started by Ryan Thomason, 08 March, 2010, 06:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Thomason

Nobody seems to have posted this yet? Warren Ellis wants to know what the cover of 2000AD Prog One should have looked like.

http://freakangels.com/whitechapel/comments.php?DiscussionID=7850&page=1

Gibson Quarter

Cool thanks for bringing this to my attention...I might take a crack at this one!

Dark Jimbo

In retrospect those chaps in 1977 really didn't have much of a brief to work with, did they?
@jamesfeistdraws

Colin YNWA

To be honest Prog 1 has a horrible cover which I always thought was a shame. I guess its function was to showcase the Space Spinner, which it does. With the power of hindsight and having seen the wonderful art inside it could have been so much more.

Fun idea for a competition therefore it'd be great if someone from the board was able to win.

Emperor

The board can sweep all before it!!

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 08 March, 2010, 08:24:54 PM
To be honest Prog 1 has a horrible cover which I always thought was a shame. I guess its function was to showcase the Space Spinner, which it does. With the power of hindsight and having seen the wonderful art inside it could have been so much more.

To be fair, I did buy half a dozen copies of prog 1 just for the Space Spinner, as I was too young to read the comic, so they all went in the bin. So job done there.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Emperor

Michael Carroll should submit with Nineteen Hundred AD!!
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Dan Kelly

Was thinking about flagging this up myself.

This is the part of the weekly art competition over there, so make certain you look at the rules to make sure that you don't piss off the locals, and especially not Warren.

They've been running a while, so don't be surprised if you post and get no reaction.

It's worth having a butchers at the previous weeks comp as well, which was Superman #1, and generated a lot of external interest

Emperor

Quote from: Dan Kelly on 08 March, 2010, 10:28:40 PMThis is the part of the weekly art competition over there, so make certain you look at the rules to make sure that you don't piss off the locals, and especially not Warren.

They've been running a while, so don't be surprised if you post and get no reaction.

It's worth having a butchers at the previous weeks comp as well, which was Superman #1, and generated a lot of external interest

Good points - you have to try and ignore everything you actually know about the comic and contents and just go with the design brief as posted in the first post.

If you look at the earlier one you can see the wide variety of ideas and none with a guy wearing his undies on the outside:

http://freakangels.com/whitechapel/comments.php?DiscussionID=7801&page=1

So just be wary about laying down your concept of what prog 1 should have looked like as it is liable to make Warren Ellis unhappy.

Thinking about it though, a "how would you do the 1st issue of 2000 AD (knowing what you know now)" would make a great forum competition and would have some very different results from what Warren Ellis is looking for.

uncle fester

I really didn't need to know this competition was open... Anyone having a pop at it from here?

IAMTHESYSTEM

Borrowing from Colin YNWA maybe re-imagining the first issue cover would be a good start to the new Art Thread Competion?

Jim Campbell wants to extend the deadline to a couple of months at least and with more time to concentrate on your design you could come up with something spectacular!

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Ryan Thomason

I have no idea how I got this finished last night:

Kev Levell

Shetland - you are my new hero, I love that!

I reckon Colin & IAMTHESYTEM are right as well, make this the next art comp. Genius!!

Zarjazzer

The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Emperor

Quote from: shetland on 09 March, 2010, 08:12:18 PM
I have no idea how I got this finished last night:

Well done!! I saw it over there and really enjoyed it, as I have enjoyed them all, of course.

The Legendary Shark

"EDITED BY WARREN: SORRY, BUT JUST REARRANGING ELEMENTS OF THE ORIGINAL COVER GOES AGAINST THE SPIRIT OF THE THREAD. REMOVED." That's all right, Warren, I'll put it here instead.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]