Main Menu

Manga Studio

Started by Jim_Campbell, 09 March, 2010, 04:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dyl

that does look exactly the same as when the stroke in stroke out boxes are checked.

pauljholden

That's definitely the stroke in / stroke out options in effect. So the question is: are those stroke in / stoke out options ticked? (they should be unticked) and if they are unticked then why is your setup ignoring those settings?

-pj

James

Ok, it seems I AM being a twat, the stroke in/out boxes were ticked, I hadn't tried them unticked as that's what I thought gave you the pressure sensetivity.

Now they're unticked I ca get on with having a proper go.

Cheers, all.

Happy Easter.

James

Ok another newbie question.

I've got a vector layer I'm inking on and I want to fill a large area with black. So I select the area with the magic wand and try to use the bucket to flood the selected area it wont let me, giving me the 'no entry' symbol.

Any ideas?

Jim_Campbell

Still haven't used the vector features, but it sounds to me like you're mixing the vector and bitmap functions.

You certainly don't need to use the magic wand to fill -- the paint bucket autodetects the area to be filled. Note the "Close Gap" option, which ignores breaks in the linework when filling an area.

Cheers!

Jim 
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

davethomson

It's good to see I'm not the only one having some trouble getting to grips with Manga Studio and it looks like you are all making better progress than I am with it. The moment MS opened and filled half my monitor with toolboxes and settings panels I tearfully ran back to Photoshop.

I don't reckon I would use it for more than inking but I reckon I should have a proper go at learning how to use it. Sadly my free trial has run out so hopefully someone can answer a question for me before I buy the full version. How is Manga Studio 4's dual screen support, if there is any at all?
Everything I know about life, I learnt from old school hip-hop. Don't sweat the technique!

pauljholden

I use MS with a cintiq - effectively a dual screen. I have two copies of the same window on each monitor, and when I draw it updates in real time - which is some Photoshop CS2 doesn't manage (it updates after finishing a stroke).

So I'd say it's pretty good. Initially, I didn't like that you could do a full screen in the same way you can in PS (pressing F) the MS window could be set to fill the screen but it would always keep the button bar along the top - turns out with a cintiq this is a good thing.

-pj

Emperor

if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Emperor

And Dylan Teague's breakdown of drawing a page of Dredd and how he used Manga Studio for it:

http://dylansdrawingboard.blogspot.com/2010/07/another-page-step-by-step.html
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Bhuna

I know quite a few people are now using MS. Can I ask what is their favourite pen option when inking??

Cheers
Bhuna
twitter.com/Bhuna1967
twitter.com/pigdogpress

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Bhuna on 02 August, 2010, 05:12:55 PM
I know quite a few people are now using MS. Can I ask what is their favourite pen option when inking??

Kabura. However, you can customize the pressure responsiveness of any brush or pen by clicking on the blob next to "Size" in the General tab of the tool options. You can leave the dialogue to customize the pressure curve open while you practise strokes until you find a setting you're happy with. I have my pen relatively unresponsive in the initial part of the curve to make drawing fine lines easier...

In EX, you can save this using the New Settings option and call it something different.

Cheers!

Jim

Professor Bear

Does anyone know how to make MS memorise the placement of windows?  It seems to be touch and go if it puts the navigator and toolbar where I left them the last time I shut the programme down and 'save current positions' does naff all.  It's a minor niggle, I know, but often the first thing I see when I turn the thing on.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Professah Byah on 02 August, 2010, 06:35:44 PM
Does anyone know how to make MS memorise the placement of windows? 

No -- it's an issue for me, too. I'd suggest reporting it as a bug -- you can fill out a bug report form from the link towards the bottom of this page.

I also have problems with the pen tools depositing all-too-realistic blobs of ink when certain settings are deployed, which I know both PJ and I have reported.

Cheers!

Jim

Jim_Campbell

I'd managed to miss the fact that there's an update available for Mac to v4.2.2 which fixes a lot of flaky behaviour in the stroke thickness and shape options, and finally allows me to create a rectangular pen tip aligned to stroke direction, which feels a lot like my old faithful Gillott 303 nib.

Annoyingly, it's not a patch, Smith Micro makes you go through the whole online purchase process to buy the item at a zero price, and then you have to DL a 780Mb .dmg which takes forever, but it definitely worth it.

Cheers!

Jim