Main Menu

Judo's sci-fi writing

Started by Judo, 20 February, 2012, 03:13:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judo

clement I would quite happily give intellectual property of my entire brain to get a story in 2000ad ;) x
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

TordelBack

Quote from: Judo on 20 February, 2012, 07:34:19 PM
...I would quite happily give intellectual property of my entire brain to get a story in 2000ad ;) x

"And so began the Tragedy of the Magus..."

Judo

'intellectual property' is all made up anyways :P «devils advocate» x

Judo

should I be concerned about the length of time it takes to critique? I'm nervous noo x

Emperor

Quote from: Judo on 20 February, 2012, 08:11:39 PM
should I be concerned about the length of time it takes to critique? I'm nervous noo x

That'd depend on when the person critiquing it read it I suppose.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Judo

now you're just teasing me yah meanie. I'd be nervous if it was 2 mins of 2 years cos imma nervous sort. I'm on night shift so boring I might eventually get round to doing some actual work like I get paid for. Might also spam this with some art if I have time, though my arts a bit shit x

The Enigmatic Dr X

Copyright just needs to be asserted: "Copyright (C) 2012 Alan Moore".

The date of first publication is an issue if someone blags it, but only as a matter of proof (ie showing you had it first) and only if it is pretty much a wholesale lift. The bigger issue is the fact that copyright does NOT protect the story or the idea. (If you think about it, how else could you get endless genre clones of each other?). Rather - and the clue is in the name - it is a right to stop the copying of your words.

There's a grey area between modifying something to make it new and just lifting the text of something wholesale, but in general it is fairly easy to nick an idea. You cannot "copyright that idea", even if you lay claim to something in the pub.

That said, I'd happily give feedback on anyone's scripts. I struggle to get any feedback on my stuff, and know how hard it is to get impartial (and necessarily brutal) advice. It's the only way to improve.

CAVEAT: I am no more qualified than any other wannabe to comment on someone's writing
Lock up your spoons!

Judo

well I'm the oldest of 14 cousins so I was always brought up to find copying to be the highest of compliments. I am also willing and helpful with ideas and stories for the sheer joy of it. The only copyright I need to do is email my uncle a copy, have his law firm sign it and put it in My file - which I have done but I seriously doubt anyone would push me so far as to need a court appearance. Writing is just fun :D and 2000ad is...of course...the bucket list!

I'm sorry you're just too slow to read it as emperor was kind enough to give a complimentary critique I am almost content to send it away (after a full night agonising over a couple of minor details of course as every writer knows) but I am happy to read anything you like tho try not to make it too much of an epic. But! I warn you I am very honest and can be quite critical - but only in the belief that you're work be the very best it can be. My biggest piece of advice to any writer is to read it allowed in a mirror or with a friend as the saying goes... If you speak like a nob you read like a nob. Ok that's not a real saying but it should be x

Judo

k so sorry the powers of be have spoken on reading my scripts but I draw stuff too so will see if I can post off my phone. I cannae really draw but and this is just for fun, so need to be mean ;) x x

Judo

this ones actually the page before the other one but this doesn't have text on it because I don't have photoshop text is a pain in the rear x

Judo

its basically a fantasy/scifi romp that's akira meets lord of the rings but with slade surrealistic dream sequences and the themes are memory and the nature of self. That's the quickest description I can give. Not putting up the full thing for obvious reasons, just some pages in progress x

GordonR

Quote from: Judo on 23 February, 2012, 12:20:22 PM
its basically a fantasy/scifi romp that's akira meets lord of the rings but with slade surrealistic dream sequences and the themes are memory and the nature of self. That's the quickest description I can give. Not putting up the full thing for obvious reasons, just some pages in progress x

And Lord of the Rings meets Akira is going to fit into 5 pages, you think?

My advice: stop telling us how awesome your story is going to be, and get it finished and submitted.

Judo

text is just for me to make sure things will fit and isn't finished. I'm a writer who cannae afford an artist (not an artist) but I'm happy with the script for this so far and you are welcome to read it but I willnae post it publicly x

gordon this isn't a future shock this is random cos I can't put the future shock up - this is just a personal project

Cthulouis

Must... resit... urge... to make sarcastic comment about Gordon R advising other people to finish what they've started...

(Disclaimer: I understand that money in the bank is the winner of any realistic contest, and he finished Missionary Man at least, so that's me happy)

(Second disclaimer: It is good advice.)

GordonR

http://m.facebook.com/pages/Glasgow-League-of-Writers/286466241380171?id=286466241380171&refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.co.uk%2Fsearch&_rdr

Glasgow League of Writers, for - surprise surprise - Glasgow-based comic writers, meeting regularly in the Hope Street Studios, home base of Frank Quitely et al.