Main Menu

The 2000 AD Thrill-Cast - the official podcast of the Galaxy's Greatest Comic!

Started by Molch-R, 22 January, 2015, 10:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molch-R

It's the final episode of our EPIC interview with John Wagner on the Thrill-Cast! We conclude with more talk about Judge Dredd, Strontium Dog, his thoughts about the future, and a shock announcement!

www.2000ADonline.com/thrillcast

Thanks again for all the great feedback, we really appreciate it!

inkymonkey

A great wrap-up to John's interview, still trying to figure out what Molch-R and John were actually doing while they chatted - checkers?

Thanks for the highly frustrating tease on the BIG SECRET, Molch-R. I'm sending someone to "have a chat", don't worry, it won't hurt too much.  ;)

Also very gratified to hear John enjoys Patrick O'Brian's maritime novels, they're a ripper. Read them all a few times over myself..!

Dan Dare

Loved the Wagner interviews. You can hear exactly where the humour comes from in his scripts just by listening to the man speak. He comes across as being one cool guy too. So glad he reversed his decision to retire. Good job Molch-R :)

abelardsnazz

Great third part, florix grabundae to all involved. I'm a fan of Michael Connelly too, nice to know I'm in good company  :)

Muon

takem together, the three parts of that interview are the best podcast episodes I've heard in a long time. And I listen to a lot of podcasts. Listening to John Wagner talk is like listening to 2000 AD speaking.

And I reckon [spoiler]Judge Hershey[/spoiler] will be killed off.

JayzusB.Christ

Well, that was frickin' awesome.  John Wagner has been a major part my life, since I was a very wee lad indeed.  Hearing him speak about his own life and influences is absolutely fascinating.  Also, hearing that he isn't going to retire any time soon makes me happy beyond words.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Apestrife

Molch-R, a splendid 3 p. interview. Enjoyed the hell out of it. Thanks :)

dweezil2

Epic Thrill-Cast Molch-R!

Many thanks for such an interesting and informative listen and to John Wagner for giving his time.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

CalHab

A great interview, very enjoyable.

I was a bit confused when he was saying that he doesn't read comics. This is something that I've heard in a few interviews with artists and writers. I can understand that working in the field might mean you wouldn't read them for pleasure, but wouldn't you look at others' work out of professional curiosity at least?

Citi-Def_Joe

Another great episode to round of the Wagner trilogy of Thrillcasts
Quote from: CalHab on 20 March, 2016, 09:31:25 PM
I was a bit confused when he was saying that he doesn't read comics. This is something that I've heard in a few interviews with artists and writers. I can understand that working in the field might mean you wouldn't read them for pleasure, but wouldn't you look at others' work out of professional curiosity at least?

This confused me a bit too, he was saying he likes various peoples work but I wasn't sure how he could asses that if he doesn't read comics...

James Stacey

I suspect John reads some occasional stories rather than reading comics. I can imagine that Tharg might occasionally ask him to read a story just so he knows what else is happening, especially now other writers are taking a bigger role.

Fungus

[First up, great interview and always great to hear JW]

Yes, creators do tend to deny interest in reading comics (not just the mainstream ones, but everything). It's bizarre and veers towards snobbery which is odd in that it's the field in which they choose to work. Worthy of a follow-up question, that didn't happen.

Chaykin has said he doesn't read comics, there's no enjoyment there for him. But he [still] loves the craft of putting them together. This viewpoint does make sense to me.

As for the character to be killed off, a couple spring to mind. Knowing Wagner he might do the cool thing (I hope) of being a bolt from the blue, and avoid foreshadowing as far as possible. There is a problem now in that Wagner tales this year will include a virtual question mark on Dredd's supporting cast as things unfold. People have already starting guessing in this thread.

sheridan

Quote from: Fungus on 21 March, 2016, 12:55:19 PM

Yes, creators do tend to deny interest in reading comics (not just the mainstream ones, but everything). It's bizarre and veers towards snobbery which is odd in that it's the field in which they choose to work. Worthy of a follow-up question, that didn't happen.
A common reason is to allow plausible deniability if somebody accuses them of stealing ideas.

CalHab

Quote from: sheridan on 21 March, 2016, 01:31:31 PM
A common reason is to allow plausible deniability if somebody accuses them of stealing ideas.

But surely that logic would also mean that a writer shouldn't read novels or watch films?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Fungus on 21 March, 2016, 12:55:19 PM
Yes, creators do tend to deny interest in reading comics (not just the mainstream ones, but everything). It's bizarre and veers towards snobbery which is odd in that it's the field in which they choose to work.

Good God, it's not snobbery, it's a simple exercise in sanity-saving. You think chefs go home and cook the stuff they spend the whole day cooking up in the kitchen? It doesn't mean they don't appreciate a nice, well-cooked meal, but it does mean they have a very different relationship with the product to that of the punters.

I spend all day, every day looking at the pages of comics. I love comics. I love my job. But if you think that when I knock off at the end of the day, reading more comics is anywhere near the top (or even the middle) of my list of recreational activities, you're off your rocker.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.