Main Menu

'V' series 2009

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 09 November, 2009, 03:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

COMMANDO FORCES

I've just downloaded the first episode of this and quickly checked to make sure it's okay before I watch it tonight (looks perfect).
Anyone seen it already and if so is it any good?

Obviously I'll post my thoughts in the wee hours.

Goaty

COMMANDO FORCES

I did a search but obviously I didn't look far enough down the list as all that came up was V for Vendetta, Batman v Aliens, the V.C.s etc...

COMMANDO FORCES

Well, I thought it was quite enjoyable. I haven't watched the original since watching it when it first aired (somethings are best left as nice memories) and this was spot on.

It had all the things we know from the original but obviously with a modern take and references.
One bad effect with the fighter crashing but I can live with that.

Also I now believe that Obama is an alien with his 'Universal Healthcare' ;)

Peter Wolf

Where do you watch this ?

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

COMMANDO FORCES

I downloaded it earlier. I could only find the first episode which is a pity.

Pete Wells

Hey CF, I watched it and kinda liked it (I'm posting in this thread 'cos the other is for the trailer.)

I remember watching the original as a kid, it was a huge event wasn't it? I think I was too young to get all the science/religion refs as a bairn so enjoyed these much more as an alleged grown up.

[spoiler]I liked how the Visitors were already here, as terrorists and stuff, slowly making things shite so that the overt Visitors would be welcomed with open arms when they showed up.[/spoiler] Was that in the original?

I think the next episode airs in the US tonight CF so it'll probaly show up online tomorrow...

COMMANDO FORCES

I can't remember if that was in the original but I agree it makes it very interesting and opens it up with who could possibly be one of them in future episodes.
Roll on tomorrow!

Satanist

I was surprised how much of the original story they raced through in the first ep. I hope (imagine) this is to get past what we already know and get on with their own version of V. I'll keep an eye on this.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Professor Bear

I did see the original fairly recently: time has not been kind, but it's a cheesy bit of throwback fun if you like that kind of thing and skip the final five minutes with the kid as it's a bit of a 'deus ex', though there probably wasn't enough time to realistically do much else with the story by that point.

With the new version, I thought the stuff about the aliens already being here was the weakest part of it, reducing the show to just another conspiracy theory series much akin to Earth: Final Conflict, right down to the svengali/PR-savvy aliens and minimalist apple-store design of the alien ships and tech.  Also, in the original the aliens just show up and rely on charisma and nobody noticing the strong nazi parallels, which is a bit more convincing than the new treatment, which is basically that scientology takes over the world and the internet has nothing to say on the matter beyond voicing approval.

Mind you, the new one has a higher bar than the original to navigate in terms of sci-fi literacy among its audience, so it was always going to be seen as lacking, really.  I suppose if you liked Earth: Final Conflict, you'll like this.

Van Dom

I saw this on the TV3 schedule for either tomorrow night or Thursday night, for any Irish forumers who are interested. I'm going to check it out. Based on the episode title and a quick check online it seems to be episode 2 so the pilot must have aired last week, when I was out of the country. Bum. Well, Ill have a look anyway.
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

the shutdown man

I'm curious about the show, but I find the whole "four episodes now, and the rest in March" a bit off-putting. I don't want to start enjoying it and then have to wait three months for more. I may just wait for DVDs....
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

soggy

Quote from: Van Dom on 10 November, 2009, 02:53:16 PM
I saw this on the TV3 schedule for either tomorrow night or Thursday night, for any Irish forumers who are interested. I'm going to check it out. Based on the episode title and a quick check online it seems to be episode 2 so the pilot must have aired last week, when I was out of the country. Bum. Well, Ill have a look anyway.

Yes the first episode was on last thursday at 10, so the second should be on wednesday at 12.30 with the third episode ao 3e sometime in march

Richmond Clements

Eric Plumrose

Ah, Miss Diana. I'm off to look for my spanner.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.