Main Menu

'The Pacific' by HBO

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 24 January, 2010, 04:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

COMMANDO FORCES

There I was last night relaxing in front of the telly before I went to work and up pops a trailer for this.
Now, I loved Band of Brothers and knew that the same team were going to make another 10 parter but of the battle in the Pacific and had heard nothing since. That was until last night, when this trailer came on.

I moved to the edge of the seat, turned the volume up and ushered the words "SHUT UP!" as the goosepimples started to form.
Have a look at this trailer and get as excited as me.
This will be another box set coming my way when it's released.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e99B80crU3E&feature=channel

After you watch this one, have a look at the other two ;)

Tiplodocus

Well it look slike they've upped the visual effects quotient from BAND OF BROTHERS but that might not be a bad thing (I could have done with seeing a few more tanks at the Bastogne) and there also seems to be scenes of people at home and with their girlies (the absence of which was one of BOB's strong points I thought).  So I'm slightly worried that we may be straying into BAND OF BROTHERS Directed by Michael Bay territory.

However, Episode 3 of Band Of Brothers (Carentan) remains one of the greatest single hours of television I have ever watched (even though it has Marc Warren in it!) so if they can channell some of that, I'll be happy.

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

SuperSurfer

On the subject of war films, I recently saw 'All Quiet on the Western Front' for the first time.

Just astoundingly good. Moving, depressing, and yet some moments of humour in the banter of the soldiers. I bought the DVD recently for £5 from HMV. Criminally cheap. Someone has posted the whole film on Google video. Probably the best war film I have seen. (The only clip I had seen before was the final scene which was in a top 100 'Best film endings' programme. What an idiot I was for watching a programme of 100 film spoilers.)  

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 24 January, 2010, 11:12:11 PM
On the subject of war films, I recently saw 'All Quiet on the Western Front' for the first time.

The 1930 Lewis Milestone version? Yeah ... it's fantastic. It's also a fantastic book, if you haven't read it.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

SuperSurfer

Yes, the 1930 Lewis Milestone film. Worth making that clear, as going by the clips I have seen online, the 70s version seems pretty poor in comparison. I must buy the book.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 24 January, 2010, 11:15:02 PM
Quote from: SuperSurfer on 24 January, 2010, 11:12:11 PM
The 1930 Lewis Milestone version? Yeah ... it's fantastic. It's also a fantastic book, if you haven't read it.
It's a book I reread on a pretty regular basis. As Remarque has it in the dedication: "an account of a generation destoyed by war, even those who survived the shelling." Powerful stuff. I've seen the b&w film and it's a pretty good translation, but I didn't realise there was another.

I've never got round to watching Band of Brothers despite the number of people who recommend it. I really need to fit it into my busy schedule.
We never really die.

Mikey

Sweet! I'm not at home so can't see the trailers here - are there plans for a terrestrial showing?

Like CF I'd heard about this a while ago and nothing else until now. As it happens I've just started watching BOB again and Caretan is indeed quite the special episode.

You see that Dredd film? You see that Lt Spiers (Matthew Settle)? He gets my vote for the lead.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: The Cosh on 25 January, 2010, 12:01:43 AM
I've seen the b&w film and it's a pretty good translation, but I didn't realise there was another.

It's no patch on the original, even with a great turn by Ian Holm as the Sergeant. John Boy Walton is the main dude.
@jamesfeistdraws

COMMANDO FORCES

It's going to be shown on Sky movies HD, I think. Best get onto the old web and well you know ;)

Mikey

I recently got a new pc with high def monitor. ;)

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

COMMANDO FORCES

If you have a spare 20 minutes then you should watch this making of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94et1Bb53mw&feature=sub

IAMTHESYSTEM

The Pacific campaign was horrendous bloodbath. Tarawa was a fortress of death with overlapping kill zones truly nightmarish and I still can't believe what Allied troops went through aboard the Japanese Hell ships.

Many men lost their minds and crawled about in the absolute darkness armed with knives, attempting to kill people in order to drink their blood or armed with canteens filled with urine and swinging them in the dark. The hold was so crowded and everyone so interlocked with one another that the only movement possible was over the heads and bodies of others.[4]  
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

the shutdown man

I've just seen the first episode and it is, as expected, great stuff. The one thing I'd say is that the main characters don't seem quite as engaging as the boys of Easy Company; It's not a case of bad acting or anything (everyone is quite good so far), but there's no-one who immediately stands out like Winters, Nixon or Speirs did in Band of Brothers. Still, there's plenty of time.
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

Goatilocks

Speaking of Japan, my wife and I recently watched the full Shogun series with Richard Chamberlin. Really enjoyed it, even if some of the love scenes read like Attack of the Clones.

COMMANDO FORCES

Cheers for that the shutdown man, I'm downloading two HD versions of it now and hope to watch before bed. Strange as I just watched the first episode of Band of Brothers and noticed that Simon Pegg was in it :o