Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rs_jr

Hey guys

which volumes include post doomsday stories that were not collected in trades?

thanks

Dash Decent

I've just received volumes 85 & 86 and discovered that Hachette have charged me $41.98 for each volume instead of $19.99 each.

Any other Aussies who've recently received their books might want to double-check the invoice too.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

rs_jr

any list showing which progs are included in each volume?

thanks

rs_jr

Thank you so much

This is exactly what i was looking for. I am trying to fill in the gap after the case files unto the most recent dredd trades.

sintec

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 05 December, 2018, 07:42:51 PM
Somebody on the Facebook group is above to launch an iOS app that lists all the stories and the progs/megs they came from. That might help.

Awesome - I was considering writing something much like this myself (although it would have ended up being an android thing rather than iOS because that's what I have).  Will drop him a messsage as I'm pretty sure I have most of the additional data he's asking for in a couple of csvs.

sintec

Which group is that from as I'm struggling to find the original post?

I've sent the guy a PM anyway and offered him some data and a hand doing an android version if he's interested.  We'll see where it goes

Jade Falcon

I've been rereading large parts of the Mega-Collection and the other day I reread the Day the Law Died. 

I noticed something a big strange.

Around the time of Block Mania/Apocalypse War I'm sure it was stated that the approximate population of Mega City One was 800 Million people as the city stretched down the entire Eastern Seaboard, basically from Canada to the Florida peninsula.  Once that is over, the cities population is basically halved, and well, post Day of Chaos, Necropolis etc we know just how bad the Big Meg is....

Anyway, my point is that Day the Lawed Died is just after Cursed Earth, pretty much the time when the city is at it's peak in terms of population.  However, the beginning says that the cities population is 100 Million.  Was there a rather....ahh, accelerated breeding program when I wasn't looking.  :D
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

IndigoPrime

Just a scripting cock-up. Something similar happens during the democracy arc, when Ennis starts getting the figures wrong. That said, as has been mentioned elsewhere (most beautifully by Michael Carroll on the Thrillcast), the population thing remains bonkers anyway. 800 million for a city of that size may have seemed a lot at the time, but the population density would have been minimal. And today's MC-1 – 130 million – would mostly be like a ghost town, given how packed into massive city blocks the citizens are.

rs_jr

pick up :

brothers of blood
chiefs judge man
total war
mandroid

that should bridge the gap from case files 32 upto origins,  right or is there any other volumes you guys recommend to bridge the dredd gaps?

Thanks

Jade Falcon

Well, I finally got a reply about my issues with War in the Streets and to say I'm ticked off is an understatement.

"We are very sorry that you are unhappy with Judge Dredd issue 90. We have looked into the matter and can confirm that there aren't any known problems with this issue and that we have reproduced the materials provided as best we can. We are unable to process refunds from trade customers, so in this instance we would advise you to return the issue to the retailer you purchased your copy from.

Kind regards,
Ruth
Hachette Customer Care Team Leader"

First off, I'm wondering if they're confusing Issue and volume number as the last numerically was Lawless which was fine. This is despite me continually emphasising to them that issue and volume were not the same so that story theme was a bit varied.

I still say if the reproduction they have on war on the streets is the absolute best they could get, there is plenty of other decent Dredd around.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

robert_ellis

I'm confused. Wasn't War on the Streets the last volume to come out? It was the 90th book issued? I assumed the volume number is the spine number. I have no knowledge of how these books are made but I'd assume Rebellion select & send the files over. I agree that much of the b&w reprint was sub-par. I wish they'd scan from the 80s Titan volumes but at £10 for 200+ pages it's not viable. The series was great fun, I try not to let the repro get me down!

Jade Falcon

No, they do that to avoid blocks of stories being released in one go. It's so for instance that themed books like Anderson, Dark Judges, Day of Chaos, Devlin Waugh etc were spread out.

The same is true with the 2000ad collection, so you'll not get all Slaine or Rogue trooper or whatever, the collection varies. War on the streets was issue 90, the last one sold but the spine was 88. This shows up on the Wikipedia entry.