Main Menu

Women don't age in dredd universe?

Started by Suede1971, 22 August, 2018, 07:16:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suede1971

Hershey was 38 as far as i can remember in the cal files, she kind of looks the same now. Shouldn't she look more like a woman in her 50s? can't imagine a judge would would be too bothered about looking more mature.

TordelBack

Some artists do (Colin MacNeil gives her these great little wrinkles), some don't: it is the way of Dredd.  Anyway, everyone lives longer and looks healthier in the 22nd C, so there's that to look forward to.

Richard

The Sisters of Death took it upon themselves to age on behalf of all the other women. They're only 26.

JOE SOAP

Joe Pumpernickel Face Dredd has had a few cosmetic treatments; CJ Goodman (43 years in the Chief's chair) nipped-in to get his regular rejuve during The Day the Law Died, so I'm sure the ladies ain't averse to a quick facial between shifts.

Richard

You are still talking about cosmetic surgery, right?

Frank

Quote from: Suede1971 on 22 August, 2018, 07:16:51 PM
Hershey was 38 as far as i can remember in the cal files, she kind of looks the same now. Shouldn't she look more like a woman in her 50s? can't imagine a judge would be too bothered about looking more mature.

You're imposing 20th century values. The idea that ageing confers dignity or authority, and the obverse - that disliking the process admits to a troubling deficiency of character - are comforting lies we tell ourselves because we can't get out of it.

As soon as halting the ageing process becomes as easy as taking a shower* or a yearly check-up, nobody will ever look much older than 28 again.

* Nobody reeks of body odour and excreta anymore, even though absolutely everyone did only a century or so ago. Aristocracy included

TordelBack

Quote from: Frank on 22 August, 2018, 08:42:59 PMNobody reeks of body odour and excreta anymore, even though absolutely everyone did only a century or so ago.

My regular commute begs to differ.

Proudhuff

I'm still touting my Anderson destroys half a city block when her menopause starts story... if anyone's interested.
DDT did a job on me

Professor Bear

I tried to draw Anderson age-appropriate in a Zarjaz strip, but backtracked when it became apparent that the results were variable.  Trying to capture the simplest of details on a face - cheekbones, the philtrum, the cheek folds - can age even youthful characters, so I imagine most artists just opt out of the problem and draw females with fewer readily identifiable or recurring facial characteristics, hence why a lot of artists' female characters look suspiciously similar apart from their clothes or hairstyles.

Plus no comic artist ever went broke drawing fit birds.  Quite the opposite, from what I can tell.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Richard on 22 August, 2018, 07:59:29 PM
You are still talking about cosmetic surgery, right?

Whatever works for you.

JOE SOAP

Tjm86

Quote from: Professor Bear on 22 August, 2018, 11:15:28 PM
Plus no comic artist ever went broke drawing fit birds.  Quite the opposite, from what I can tell.

Very true!  Rob Liefield is particularly well known for his athletic penguins and power lifting vultures.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Professor Bear on 22 August, 2018, 11:15:28 PMPlus no comic artist ever went broke drawing fit birds.
The problem is when those are the only women in the strip, and when it's rather absurd when Anderson looks like a Page Three girl. (Never mind that MC1 still has a major problem with balance. Given it being set 100+ years into the future, it's very... white. And very, very male. It'd be lovely to see that change.)

Professor Bear

That kind of failure has been a team effort - artists tend to default to what they know and writers tend to use the word "blonde" a lot in character descriptions.  Of late there's been a conscious effort to push back against it - which you can tell is happening because single men on the internet are furious about it.

Steven Denton

Wasn't it mentioned in one Anderson story that she couldn't re-juve  or take anti aging drugs as they interfered with her Psi abilities? I think it was one of the Arthur Ranson Illustrated storied in the Megazine.

Traditionally comics has denoted middle age by drawing the person exactly the same but with grey hair around the temples. I can't really draw women anyway so it's never been a problem for me.