Main Menu

Dredd World - Mega Cities World Map

Started by Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty), 17 March, 2012, 07:46:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emperor

Quote from: maryanddavid on 21 March, 2012, 11:22:59 PM
Love the Map, one thing that has always left me wondering, why is the whole world radiated in Dredds world?
I could understand parts getting hit in a war, but why is the whole globe?

A nuclear war would result in radioactive dust being entrained in the upper atmosphere. The medium term result would be a volcanic winter, but short term you'd see a lot of the dust settling out around the planet or being brought down in the rain and snow, this would depend on weather patterns.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

WhitBloke

Pesky fallout, spewing all over those pinko hippy nuclear-free zones.  Yes, Iceland...  Bob Booth hates you.

Oh, there's also Hong Tong as a sizeable population centre.
So this is der place then, Johnny?

A.Cow

If it was me lining up the pre-set targets for the nukes, and had a few missiles going spare ... well, just out of spite, I'd target any self-declared 'nuclear free' zones like Australia and the London Borough of Lambeth.

(However, I'd leave Canada and New Zealand out of the plan, because I like them.)

The Adventurer

The main reason why Dredd-World is so awesome is; not only is a Cyberpunk Dystopia Future. Its also a Nuclear Post-Apocalyptic Future. Its like, the most two most awesome future (Mad Max + Bladerunner) options rolled into one.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Pioneer

"I was just marking it up as a Great Germ War reference in the case of Chicago, though I also suspected that it may be the case that some aborted storyline was being referenced in the map."

Can anyone elaborate on the Great Germ War? Has it ever been explained?

WhitBloke

I think it's still pretty much one of Mega-Life's great mysteries but it does crop up in Prog 61 with this quote from Red about the 2T(Fru)T virus that clobbers Mega-City Two during The Cursed Earth:  A Disease left over from the Great Germ War.  You know... the one that came after the Atomic War.
A tediously lengthy quote, I know.  I apologise.  I can't elaborate on it much myself.  All I've got is that quote about that war and things (like the map above) that I have read Germ War inferences into.

For myself, I suppose I just lazily put a lot of the mutations outside the mega-cities down to that war as much as the nuclear one, or a combination of their effects.  Being the clever-clog scientific genius I am, I have no more a reason for this than, "It sounds clever enough."  Anyway, I guess every time I've seen a Cursed Earth township full of mutations, or even a dog vulture, I've attributed it as much to the Great Germ War as anything else. 
This may have been a mistake on my part but it was reinforced during Origins when we saw Chicago avoid any on-panel direct hits from the nukes.  For me, the implication had always been that Chicago - despite being a natural fourth US mega-city site - had been obliterated along with so many other places, until Origins gave it a possible reprieve from outright nuclear destruction.  And then seeing the map above got me thinking of why Chicago, if it did indeed survive the retaliation against Booth's nuclear mad-on, might still have good reason for never having shown up in Dredd related stuff.

Of course, another way of looking at the Great Germ War is as an early Pat Mills passing-mention addition to Dredd's world that, for any of a variety of possible reasons, John Wagner hasn't felt inclined to revisit since. 
So this is der place then, Johnny?

Steve Green

You could have answered it yourself, it survived the Atom War but got infected in the Germ War, similar to Day of Chaos...

I thought it could have been explained as a last ditch attempt by Booth, who obviously had control of Mek-troops to gain an upper hand over the Judges, rather than an another international war between 2070 and 2100.

vzzbux

The great Germ war could have been a naturally occurring epidemic like the influenza outbreak after WWI which killed between 50 and 100 million person's.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

JOE SOAP

Would it be called a war then? I'm thinking it was more a way of controlling or getting rid of the cursed earth survivors that didn't entirely work.

vzzbux

Suppose it depends on your point of view if you are fighting the spread of disease.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

TordelBack

Simplest explanation for me would be that the Germ War and the Atomic War are part of the same conflict.  The nuclear exchange is over in a matter of days, ending the Atomic War.  Then the biological warfare that was instigated at the same time becomes prevalent as epidemics start to spread, and the Germ War phase begins.

Sector Chief

Quote from: Sector Chief on 20 March, 2012, 09:48:56 PM
Quote from: Art on 20 March, 2012, 08:35:31 PM
Anyone know what Seattle is doing on there? Has it ever been mentioned in the Dredd universe outside of that map?

Posted from Seattle.

Pretty certain it's never had a mention in the strip.

Seattle was mentioned in the original Harlem Heroes strip (Chico and Sammy returned from a spell on loan to the Seattle Swifts) which links directly to Dredd's world......

Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty)

Quote from: Sector Chief on 22 April, 2012, 10:57:11 PM
Quote from: Sector Chief on 20 March, 2012, 09:48:56 PM
Quote from: Art on 20 March, 2012, 08:35:31 PM
Anyone know what Seattle is doing on there? Has it ever been mentioned in the Dredd universe outside of that map?

Posted from Seattle.

Pretty certain it's never had a mention in the strip.

Seattle was mentioned in the original Harlem Heroes strip (Chico and Sammy returned from a spell on loan to the Seattle Swifts) which links directly to Dredd's world......

So Seattle is worth an exclusion. Thanks for your input Sector Chief! I will have something to show the board by end of play this week. :)
Never rub another mans rhubarb

Art

opaque

Quote from: TordelBack on 23 March, 2012, 10:32:03 PM
Simplest explanation for me would be that the Germ War and the Atomic War are part of the same conflict.  The nuclear exchange is over in a matter of days, ending the Atomic War.  Then the biological warfare that was instigated at the same time becomes prevalent as epidemics start to spread, and the Germ War phase begins.

Also it doesn't need to mean that the Germ War affected everywhere. A war could just be attributed to one region, one city etc.