Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Monarch

Wait wait wait oz is no 3? I thought total wars supposed to be no 3?

The Monarch

shaolin_monkey

I'm about halfway through Doomsday for Dredd, and really enjoying it.  So far it's all stuff I missed as a result of my decade long 200AD hiatus.  While I've read The Pit since, I still had no idea what happened to DeMarco afterwards, and this is filling in the gaps a bit.

However, the stories does hop from 'DeMarco is a Sector Chief' to 'DeMarco has been kicked off the force' without explanation as to the latter.  It's a bit jarring.  I guess her story of how she failed Justice Dept will pop up in another book, but I couldn't help thinking it would have been nice to see her arc collected in one volume.

robert_ellis

I was amazed by the Beyond The Call Of Duty story in this volume. Stunning! I'm really hoping DeMarco's change of careers is covered in another volume. I'm guessing there are other stories before she leaves being a judge? On a seperate note I loved Simon Davis on Dredd.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 20 August, 2015, 07:54:59 AMHowever, the stories does hop from 'DeMarco is a Sector Chief' to 'DeMarco has been kicked off the force' without explanation as to the latter.  It's a bit jarring.  I guess her story of how she failed Justice Dept will pop up in another book, but I couldn't help thinking it would have been nice to see her arc collected in one volume.
There's a lot of this in the MC, and it's the collection's one failing for me. We could have done with more context in-between stories occasionally, which could have referred to other volumes. Democracy Now jolts in a similar fashion.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: James Stacey on 19 August, 2015, 11:48:21 AM
He's painted over a cyan lined repro hasn't he ? you can see similar faint markings bottom right where there are movement lines around Dredds helmet (oo er)

So you can! Thanks for spotting that.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Robes

Having not read The Pit is it worth me waiting before reading Doomsday for Dredd?  Presumably The Pit will come out at some point?

I, Cosh

Quote from: Robes on 20 August, 2015, 09:53:20 PM
Having not read The Pit is it worth me waiting before reading Doomsday for Dredd?  Presumably The Pit will come out at some point?
Probably not. It introduces a few of the characters but a lot of the build up happens in bits and pieces along the way: Bad Frendz, Scorpion Dance, Beyond the Call of Duty, the one-off introducing the new Lawgiver, etc.
We never really die.

IndigoPrime

Personally, I'd be tempted to hang on until Doomsday for Mega-City One is in your mitts. The two books work really nicely read together. Odd that the gap between the two is going to be months.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 20 August, 2015, 10:21:22 PM
Personally, I'd be tempted to hang on until Doomsday for Mega-City One is in your mitts. The two books work really nicely read together. Odd that the gap between the two is going to be months.

Yeah defo this. I waited (until I'd got a copy of the trade of the Meg issues) when I caught up and it was well worth it.

A very underestimated epic in my book.

TordelBack

This is a tough decision for me - Doomsday (specifically previews of Kennedy and Wilson's art) was what brought me back to 2000AD from the Cursed Earth, but this means that my knowledge of the preceding period is spotty. So while the first volume looks as gorgeous as ever, I think I'll hold on for the Casefiles version and get the full publication context.

Cover is great, mind!

Skullmo

Yeah - I think these slow burner Wagner stories work better in the context of the case files - having said that I am sure they are a blast for new readers.

You have to get both!
It's a joke. I was joking.

Satanist

I've never read the Doomsday stories so was quite looking forward to reading them this weekend but now feel I might be missing out without having the other one. To wait or not to wait, hmm.

Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Hawkmumbler

Once upon a time my local library (before it was closed down) owned both of the Doomsday trades. Reading them side by side was bloody good fun and an interesting idea for a crossover (did it have any effect on the much latter and much more unique Trifecta?).

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Skullmo on 21 August, 2015, 08:53:17 AM
Yeah - I think these slow burner Wagner stories work better in the context of the case files - having said that I am sure they are a blast for new readers.

You have to get both!

I've read none of this period before and it's fascinating (knowing that Doomsday looms on the horizon) seeing the pieces slowly begin to come together. It's interesting that as early as Case Files 23 we're getting introduced to the major players!
@jamesfeistdraws