Main Menu

Dave Evans, R.I.P.

Started by Mike Carroll, 07 May, 2021, 11:32:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dunk!

This is devastating news.

Dave was a diamond of a man. Funny freindly always please to see people and passionate about 2000ad.

Conventions will not be the sam ewithout his presence.

He will be much missed.

My heart is with all the Bolts at this terrible time.

Loved ya Dave, you were the best of us.

Dunk!
"Trust we"

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Ah no- I can't believe that. Bolt was lovely- a genuine gent and the heart of fandom. My condolences to his family, and his friends. What a truly horrible thing to happen. Rest easy, sir.

SBT

Link Prime

What a gut punch.

Lovely, lovely guy both in real life and on the forum.

RIP Bolt.

shaolin_monkey

Just this minute heard the news. So shocked! Absolutely gutted! First met him when I hit the Cardiff cons as Judge Pal many years back, and instantly taken by what a nice guy he was. It was always so great to catch up with him at cons afterwards. This must be such a shock for his family - my heartfelt condolences.

What a sad, sad day.

flip-r mk2

My thoughts are with his family, Dave I'll see you again in the great comic con in the sky.

filippo
It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

broodblik

From 2000AD's twitter feed:

"We are devastated to hear of the death of Dave Evans - also known as Bolt-01 - a much loved member of the 2000 AD fandom, as well as editor of Futurequake, Zarjaz, Dogbreath and a host of other fanzines. Our hearts go out to his family and friends.

See you at the bar, Bolt."
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Richmond Clements

I have not been on the board for a long time. But the phone call from his family is the worst thing I have had in a long time.
Dave was and is by a long measure the best friend I have had in my life (to give some context, the best friend from my teenage years  died on Thursday night) I am utterly bereft. I have lost my soul mate. I have always referred to Dave as my comics life partner, without any irony. I loved him and he loved me.

pauljholden

Utterly devastating.

Dave was one of the sweetest nicest people I knew in comics, and for me Dave defined the best of what comics can be, and he was the small press as far as I was concerned, he'd email occasionally asking if I was available for a cover and if I was I'd never turn him down. Why would you? he was lovely.

I can't imagine the loss his family feels.

Hawkmumbler

First I just want to echo all that's been said before. Dave was a good friend and genuinely one of the nicest people in the entire world or comics, and he was loved by myself and many others. I was shocked to discover the news recently and i'll be typing up some of my memories with the amazing fellow later. Nothing but love and affection to all who knew him and the rest of the Evans clan, he brought up three wonderful kids who I am also blessed to call friends. We'll miss you Dave. Thanks for everything.

Greg M.

Dreadful and deeply shocking news. Sadly I never had the opportunity to meet Dave in person, but he always had a kind and constructive word for my small-press writing, providing helpful advice as I was learning the ropes. He was clearly a font of irrepressible enthusiasm for all things comics. Condolences to all who were close to him.

Pete Wells

Bolt was just so, so lovely and the absolute best of us. Utterly selfless, always very kind, super enthusiastic about 2000 AD. His keen eye and nurturing nature will have helped launch loads of careers.

I loved seeing Dave and would always make a beeline for him at cons. I spent many happy hours drinking and chatting with him. This is a sad day for 2000 AD fandom.

My heart goes out to his equally lovely family (his relationship with his daughter was beautiful) and to Richmond, whose post above has just broken me.

I just want you all to know, although I dont post as much, that lots of you really do mean a lot to me and I appreciate you all. I'll be having a drink to Dave, and the rest of you, tonight.

von Boom

Shocking and devastating news. I always enjoyed Dave's contributions here and elsewhere. I never got to meet him in person but he was always a genuinely great human being.

My heart goes out to all his friends and family during this terrible time.

Dr Feeley Good

Really sorry to hear, met him a few times at various conventions... :(

Richmond Clements

I'm never going to have a drink with my best friend again. Fuck you life, FUCK YOU.

Endjinn

Oh man. I saw the news on Twitter and had to reactivate my account to post my condolences.

I remember Bolt-01 back in the days of 2000adreview - he was so generous with his words and time. I remember reading Dogbreath in 2004-5ish and thinking it was such a cool tribute to Strontium Dog.

My thoughts are with his family and all that called him friend.