Main Menu

Y'know what really grinds my gears?

Started by Link Prime, 12 April, 2014, 01:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amines2058

Quote from: radiator on 15 April, 2014, 10:54:32 PM
Almost as obnoxious is spitting or phleming in the street.

I long for a future where a fleet of small hovering drones float around and DNA test gob on the pavement, then hunt down the perpetrator and deliver an extremely painful electric shock to them.

Same for dog owners who don't clean up after their dog.

Not as far off as you might think. Well not for the dog poo anyway
See here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/28/dna-test-dog-poop-naples-700_n_4876022.html

Banners

Quote from: radiator
People who don't understand the concept of editing, so upload several thousand uninteresting, poorly-lit, out of focus and just plain bad pictures of their holiday/night out or especially their children on facebook, along with one or two good ones.

I once had a photographer who gave me 2 DVDs worth of unedited shots from a theatre show (we only needed one pic). All were taken from the same place, and from the same distance. The shots were appalling, but by quickly scrolling through the approx. 2,000 images, at least I got to see the play for free.

Banners

Quote from: radiator
You see this a lot in the cinema - when the lights go up there's invariably popcorn and drinks cups all over the shop. Certain people seem to think that just because someone is employed to clean an area, it's totally fine to just throw whatever crap they want on the floor.

The contrary argument – which better applies to not clearing your table in McDonald's – is that you're creating employment.

TordelBack

Quote from: Banners on 16 April, 2014, 07:41:36 AM
The contrary argument – which better applies to not clearing your table in McDonald's – is that you're creating employment.

Also applies to vandalism, alcoholism, obesity, child abuse... whole industries would vanish overnight if we behaved like decent human beings.  Won't somebody think of the economy! 

Or at least read the odd Future Shock.   ;)

JamesC

Brand Loyalty/evangelism.

People who blindly buy products simply because they support a particular brand and will defend said products as being the best (see teenage designer/sports label peer pressure and people who never grow out of it).

People who will slag off all competing products to the product that have chosen to support (Marvel/DC rivalry and game console wars).

People who won't buy foreign but won't accept that they already have (loads of these as most British manufacturing is now foreign owned but the best example is people who were still buying over priced, crap Rovers because they were British).

Moggot Lover

Seeing people driving their cars using mobiles, or even worse Ipads. How this doesn't register in their brains, that driving while using 8-10 inch tablet is dangerous and down right stupid beyond belief >:(
"We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go." --Col. Tigh. BSG.

Banners

Software updates.

You spend hours getting everything just right and how you want it, then an update comes along offering fancy new features or a critical fix, and then it buggers everything.

Case in point, my Synology server that I use for backups – which was quite happy prior to the Heartbleed fix. After the update, the 1TB disks have become 100% full for some reason, up from around 650GB (I can't access music from my phone any more either, but that's a minor issue).

So now I have to spend time which I can ill afford fixing all this, or coming up with a workaround.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Banners on 16 April, 2014, 09:24:56 AM
Software updates.

You spend hours getting everything just right and how you want it, then an update comes along offering fancy new features or a critical fix, and then it buggers everything.

Oh god yes - which numpty at microsoft decided that windows users were just too damn busy to click the little square to maximise a window? So they made it impossible to drag a small window anywhere near the edges of the screen without it automatically maximising. WHY???? (Finally found out how to switch this off however!)

CrazyFoxMachine

Software update

Not sure what happened but a new Wacom update rendered my tablet inert. I had to reinstall it from scratch to get it going again - roll back the update.

THANKS WACOM. THACOM.

Recrewt

Quote from: TordelBack on 15 April, 2014, 06:41:43 PM
Yeah, litter is the one thing that brings out my inner Dredd,  fly-tipping even more so.  When I see it, 'it's knee-poppin' time' as the great man might say.

There has been an interesting scenario playing out in the UK over the last few years.  The Tips Household Recycling Centres all got these booths and you were stopped on entry and asked about what you had.  A friend was doing some garden work and had a few bags of rubble/soil that he took.  This needed a couple of trips but on the second visit they started getting a bit shirty and advised there was a limit to the number of bags of rubble he could bring in a day.  He managed to get rid of what he had and even pointed out that he doesn't normally do such work every day so averaged over the year, he would be well under the bags per day limit. 

My point (I'm sure there was a point).  Oh yeah - the clampdown at the HRCs seemed to have a strange correlation with an increase in fly tipping.  Now I am not condoning such behaviour but imagine the shock at council HQ when they realised that if you make it harder for folks to get rid of stuff then some people will just lob it in a ditch somewhere.  In my opinion, excessively penalising people because of our over-packaged, throwaway society is not really tackling the problem at source.

The good news is that the booths have disappeared from the HRC and I am now trusted to put my cardboard in the skip sign-posted 'cardboard'.   :D

Molch-R

Quote from: Recrewt on 16 April, 2014, 12:22:34 PM
My point (I'm sure there was a point).  Oh yeah - the clampdown at the HRCs seemed to have a strange correlation with an increase in fly tipping.  Now I am not condoning such behaviour but imagine the shock at council HQ when they realised that if you make it harder for folks to get rid of stuff then some people will just lob it in a ditch somewhere.  In my opinion, excessively penalising people because of our over-packaged, throwaway society is not really tackling the problem at source.

Tea break interjection as I used to work in the comms team for Leeds council and we dealt with a lot of fly tipping: the shirtiness is undoubtedly because councils have to be eagle-eyed about tradesmen using waste recycling centres to avoid charges for the disposal of commercial waste. The increase in fly tipping is down to those businesses trying to avoid costs, coupled with government-imposed charges for removal of larger items from residential properties - it's not a recent thing either.

Theblazeuk

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 15 April, 2014, 06:34:59 PM
Litter.

It doesn't seem as much of a problem in Britain as it is here in Ireland, but fecking hell, it gets my goat.

I listened to an old Adam and Joe podcast the other day which holds a revealing anectdote; a guy is on a train in Ireland and asks the ticket conductor where the bin is. The conductor holds out his hand, takes the kitkat wrapper - and then opens the window on the train and throws it out. He says "There's a bin that never gets full" and walks off.

Which led to the famous tourism slogan "Ireland, the bin that never gets full" (and lots of Irish accents which oi refrained from spelling out here).

Recrewt

Quote from: Molch-R on 16 April, 2014, 12:29:34 PM
Tea break interjection as I used to work in the comms team for Leeds council and we dealt with a lot of fly tipping: the shirtiness is undoubtedly because councils have to be eagle-eyed about tradesmen using waste recycling centres to avoid charges for the disposal of commercial waste. The increase in fly tipping is down to those businesses trying to avoid costs, coupled with government-imposed charges for removal of larger items from residential properties - it's not a recent thing either.

Oh yes, I remember the time I moved to my first flat and used the rental van to take some stuff to the Tip.  They were very interested in me that day but eventually I was able to persuade them that XXXX Van Rental, as written on the side of the van, was not my business.  ;)

Jon

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 16 April, 2014, 10:03:58 AM
Software update

Not sure what happened but a new Wacom update rendered my tablet inert. I had to reinstall it from scratch to get it going again - roll back the update.

THANKS WACOM. THACOM.

Yeah, if it's the Intuous 2 (or 3, I forget) you're talking about then don't try using up to date drivers. It gives it the jitters. Sorry, should've said.

radiator

Enormously petty and first world problems and all that, but it always grinds my gears when I go to use the computer or iPad and have to wade through several hundred* browser tabs that my girlfriend has left open - and she goes apeshit if I dare to close them down. I've given up trying to explain bookmarks.

*That's not an exaggeration.