Main Menu

John Cooper original art

Started by hippynumber1, 28 October, 2012, 02:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hippynumber1

Hello chaps!

I'm currently giving a friend of John Cooper's a hand selling and marketing some of John's work. So, two question: 1 - does anyone recognise the work in photos 1 and 2?
and 2 - does anyone know if John sent these Armitage pages as they appear in pic 3 and someone scanned and greyscaled them?

Cheers for any help...

TordelBack

Those Armitage pics are fascinating!  I'd always suspected that the panels were drawn at one size and then scanned, shaded and composed into a page.  I'd always assumed that John himself did this himself.

hippynumber1

Apparently not - unfortunately John's quite ill at the moment so his friend is avoiding 'troubling' him with this kind of stuff...

Fatboydale

I personally know John , and he has worked with small panels for some time .... easy to change if there is a mistake , he would have done all the work himself ....also he draws on small panels because he cannot find decent Osram board to draw on ...

Fatboydale

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 28 October, 2012, 02:39:05 PM
Apparently not - unfortunately John's quite ill at the moment so his friend is avoiding 'troubling' him with this kind of stuff...

oh shit .... not spoke to him for a while ..

hippynumber1

Excellent Dale, thank you! Now, just need to identify those other pictures...

maryanddavid

John uses photoshop and has done for a long while, so these would be scanned and greyscaled by John.
John also did a lot of book illustrations for the likes of Hardy Boys and Enid Blyton in the early eighties the first pictures are probably from that body of work.

hippynumber1

Thanks Maryanddavid - I don't think they're Famous Five pages (we've identified most of those) but if he did Secret Seven etc also I suppose that's possible. The Hardy Boys is a good lead too, any idea on the publisher for those?

maryanddavid

Possibly Brown Watson, but I'm not sure of that.

hippynumber1

Thanks again! Some of John's pages will be up on e-bay later, I shall provide a link for those interested parties out there...

Spikes

Nice stuff, and this from the seller's description:
'I WILL BE OFFERING FOR SALE OVER THE COMING MONTHS A VAST COLLECTION OF ORIGINAL ARTWORKS OF ARTIST AND FAMOUS ILLUSTRATOR AND A PERSONAL FRIEND OF MINE....JOHN COOPER'

Will have to keep an eye on this.

hippynumber1

Yea, he has BOXES  of John's work, not just 2000AD stuff. He's also got Famous Five illustrations, drawings that John did for ITV News in the 70s/80s (courtroom illustration type), Battle and so on... All good stuff!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 28 October, 2012, 09:19:55 PM
Yea, he has BOXES  of John's work, not just 2000AD stuff. He's also got Famous Five illustrations, drawings that John did for ITV News in the 70s/80s (courtroom illustration type), Battle and so on... All good stuff!

Really looking forward to seeing the Battle stuff, thinking maybe a Johnny Red page might be a possibility?

hippynumber1

Haven't found any yet but it's a distinct possibility!