Main Menu

Dr. Who ~ oops

Started by Tweak72, 11 March, 2005, 12:59:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tweak72

heres something a friend at the beeb sent me...

Doctor Who escapes before time

Billy Piper and Christopher Eccleston

The BBC is trying to establish how the first episode of Doctor Who - 'Rose' - appeared on the internet yesterday.

It is believed to be the first time a landmark BBC show has been leaked on to the web before it has been broadcast.

The BBC issued a statement last night urging viewers ?not to spoil their enjoyment and to wait for the finished version?. Thousands of people have already downloaded the episode from online file-sharing service BitTorrent.

Echoing the modus operandi of the Tardis, BitTorrent breaks up the programme into fragments which are then shared across the internet and automatically reassembled on the downloader's computer. However the viral nature of the programme means that it is now impossible to stop people downloading it.

Evidence that illegal downloading of untransmitted programmes - which represents a significant breach of copyright - is now on the radar of broadcasters came yesterday at the FT new media and broadcast conference. Andy Duncan, chief executive of Channel 4, noted that the number of illegal downloads of Desperate Housewives has shot up, from 40,000 of episode one to over 60,000 for the most recent episode.

Members of staff posting on Talk.gateway who were discussing the story agreed to remove a link to the material
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

Bico

Yup.  Seen it.
The only reason execs are up in arms isn't because people are sharing these shows across the internet, but because they're editing out the ad breaks before they do - for which I, for one, am grateful.

Noisybast

What ad breaks? It's a BBC show...
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

MUD

Perhaps just the adverts that a bound to be at the beginning advertising a BBC3 show.

Bico

The ad breaks in tv shows shown in America, then distributed on the internet, not Dr Who specifically.
It says 'screener' on that new one, anyway, so it's not the finished product - the finished one might be better.

Byron Virgo

Yeah, but they're talking about this Dr. Who download, aren't they?

Stick to the topic you...hairy Russian Fenian!

Bico

I'm no fenian!  I'm a taig, you mutant-handed monologue mangler!

Eck

Fucking hacking pricks!

/hates kids/geeky fucks who have nothing better to do than be fucking hacking pricks.

Fuckers.

Adrian Bamforth

Isn't it obvious? They simple sent a copy of the tape back in time.

ADE