Main Menu

Shazam! Constantine movie

Started by Art, 12 March, 2005, 01:32:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adrian Bamforth

Yeah the final scene is the only bit I really don't like, the set looks cheap and it seems tacked-on to make way for sequels (in which he fights crime in his own inimitable way).

Jim_Campbell

"To be honest the film might have worked if it was called Bill Smith, Psychic Exorcist. But it wasn't. I actually know a couple of people who like it, but they have never read the source material."

Well, this is the thing that I found utterly mystifying about the whole exercise:

Why bother? Hellblazer is a well-regarded but really quite obscure title, which is far eclipsed by the box office pull of Keanu. If you're going to jettison so many key elements of the original material, even going so far as to wilfully mispronounce his fucking name, then why bother at all?

As I understand it, Hellblazer's sales are in the tens of thousands, so it's not like the comic is going to bring a ready-made audience to the film, and if Spider-Man has proved anything it's that a wildly successful film version (or two, or three) doesn't guarantee any kind of sales bump.

So ... why bother? There must have been a point where they were discarding key character elements at which someone must surely have said: "Well, this isn't John Constantine any more ... Why not call it Bill Smith, Psychic Exorcist? Why not make Harry Dresden: The Movie?"

You may colour me baffled on this score.

Cheers!

Jim

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

ThryllSeekyr

Tordel Black says.....

Simon Pegg as Constantine? Interesting idea, wonder if he could pull off suave?

I often thought that a young Dennis Waterman might have done the trick, and there would have been feem toon fringe benefits to boot

I never really thought of this character as sauve. What I know of him from reading the comic fifteen year earlier, is that he's alittle rough abit of nasty type of person, a occasional criminal , a con artist most of the time but still a god guy most of the time. Has short blonde or rediddish hair, always wearing trademark tan coloured trench coat and smoking packet of silk cut ciggies a day. Occasionally drinking something that should be really used for paint stripper. Practices a modern version of old magic, and happens to know the true names of alot of demons and angels. Had his own Punk Band and was most likely a Punk also.  I would find it hard to be sauve after all that.

Captain Jack from Dr who and Torchwood is suave.

Just ask Alan Moore if he ever considered Gordon Summer ( Sting ) former lead singer from the Police for that role as well.

Hearing the name 'Dennis Waterman' conjures up scenes from the old 'Minder' series. Surely you mean he might make a good Chaz. 'Minder' could very well be a very good template for for 'Hellblazer' show. Despite being set in the U.K. instead of America. You have a good guy, sometime criminal con artist Arther Daley who I think would make a great role model for John Constentine. Despite that fact that Arthur never used that type of magic that John had access to and that Arthur was middle aged man. Terry is almost perfect match for Chaz who provided back up muscle for him and the free in the cab. Almost the same with Terry. Of course the similarities end right there.    

Noisey Blast replied to my early comment with ........

Which would be grand if Constentine wasn't from Liverpool.

Well, I guess I don't know everything about the man. Incidently what type of english is used in this area. Perhaps they should have hired Paul Mcartney. Who happens to be very sauve, I guess.

Keef Monkey

Never read the comics, and loved the movie. My girlfriend has read the comics, and she loved the movie.

JayzusB.Christ

'And another thing. I've always pronounced it Con-stan-tyne, like the river, not -teen like the agers. I'm prepared to accept I might be the one who's wrong there.'

I watched the DVD recently and Jamie Delano is the only person out of all the DC/Vertigo staff who pronounces it like you. I used to say it like 'COnstantyne' until i heard the Roman Emperor's name pronounced like 'teen'.

As for the film: Wellll.... not bad, but could do better. I don't like Keanu Reeves as an actor (seems a nice chap though) and would have loved to see an English actor in the role. I liked the whole lung cancer / hard drinking elements and also the way the love story didn't take off. Also hell looked freaking amazing. But all in all i prefer the comics
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

SamuelAWilkinson

Am I sufferring from a menthol overdose-induced hallucination, or did I just read Thryllseeker putting forward Paul McCartney for the role of John Constantine?
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

Peter Wolf

We had Hugh Grant suggested to play Johnny Alpha the other day as well.

Hugh  Grant !

Takes all sorts you know.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Mardroid

That'd be the curly hair.

Could you imagine that though. "Huh ya right. I'm gonna totally pop those rascals, get loads of dosh and have a Devine time."

"Ho no Red, keep those fangs sheethed, whilst your down there.". (Possibly went to far there..)

(Imagine with posh accent to get the gist. Quite poor actually.)

Peter Wolf

Wot me ? typecast ? you must be bloody joking , i have just landed a part playing this bounty hunter chappie ,cant remember his bloody name Johnny Alpha strontium i think from some comic thingy...terribly good stuff and a jolly good romp.

Its jolly good fun as i get to arrest [after getting awfully flustered and stammering ] lots of nasty alien beasties ,get paid rather lots ,and relax in the doghouse with a jug or two of Pimms and lemonade afterwards.

Jim_Campbell

"I watched the DVD recently and Jamie Delano is the only person out of all the DC/Vertigo staff who pronounces it like you. I used to say it like 'COnstantyne' until i heard the Roman Emperor's name pronounced like 'teen'."

Leaving aside Delano's allusions to the correct pronunciation (the line from On The Beach:"I am the constant serpentine" doesn't really work otherwise), and the fact that Moore also pronounces it Constantine-not-teen, there's the fact Constantine himself corrects Chester's pronunciation in Swamp Thing #73.

For me, that's game over for the Constanteen pronunciation.

Cheers!

Jim

Jim_Campbell

"Which would be grand if Constantine wasn't from Liverpool."

From Liverpool, but I'm certain that the text pieces that accompanied #1 and 2 referred to Constantine's accent as being basically London with a remnant of Liverpool.

Cheers

Jim

ThryllSeekyr

FegBarr replied to my comment with.....

Am I sufferring from a menthol overdose-induced hallucination, or did I just read Thryllseeker putting forward Paul McCartney for the role of John Constantine?

If I was only being serious about casting him in that role if being suave and having a Liverpool accent was needed.

Peter Wolf says.....

We had Hugh Grant suggested to play Johnny Alpha the other day as well.

Hugh Grant !

Takes all sorts you know.

Well, It's time that this actor would actualey do a tole that that would alter hi type cast nie guy reputation. Find out if Johhny Alpha is wit in his range. You know this is why actors make alot of money. Because they can act. I think it would be good experiment for him.

I would careful;, apparently been arrested just recently for chucking a tin of baked beans at some papparatzi phtographer. Now, looking at the rare image I have supplied here. Just imagine he's Johhny throwing a Time Drogue.

http://blogs.nypost.com/movies/archives/GrantBeansGOF_468x456.jpg">

Mardroid

Girly throw!

He'd end up resetting himself at that rate.

Peter Wolf

Bloody photographers !

Go away !  GO AWAY !!

LOOK  if you dont jolly just fruq orf i am going to throw this plastic container at you !

ThryllSeekyr

About the correct pronunciation of Constantine.

If it's ever was siad like Constan(t)- Teen.

Would that mean that he is always young?