Main Menu

Sin City Trailer

Started by LARF, 21 March, 2005, 09:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art

Um, we had a change of plan and went and got drunk instead. Report will follow as soon as we see it...

ukdane

That looks rockin', and a definate DVD purchase!

Huge fan of the comic series.
Cheers

-Daney

Art

OK, saw it. It started off a little shaky, and I wasn't quite sure that what they were doing was going to work, but then the story of Marv the unstoppable lunatic started and the film really kicked in: It's horrifically violent, massively over the top and completely hysterical - I loved it. And it's very, very like the comic, down to a lot of the graphical touches, almost up to the point of parody. Perhaps beyond it.

And most importantly the most important message of the comic - that Frank Miller is a frightening maniac - remains intact.

Gothmog

Despite the film only just opening in the US IGN have some comments from Robert Rodriguez about his plans for the DVD.

Link: http://dvd.ign.com/articles/600/600858p1.html" target="_blank">Sin City breakfast tacos

dave@eatmyhat.co.uk

I agree, it looks awesome, it's not often i see a film i actually want to see in the cinema, but this is one of them :)

Buddy

Might be seein this TONIGHT!!!

Art

Some kind of advance screening, or are you on holiday?

johnnystress

Sin City Flash Site

Link: http://www.sincitythemovie.com/flash/flash.html" target="_blank">Sin City Site

Buddy

This film rocks!!!

It's a total transition from book to screen, visually stunning and very brutal.

It just oozes style and is a joy to watch.

My only concern is that it so far removed visually from the norm, it may alienate the average cinema goer... I can just hear cries of 'what happened to the colour?' and 'why is his blood white??'.

Great stuff.

James

Seen it. Loved it. If you're a fan of the books then you'll find no fault in this.

Script is word for word perfect, visuals are panel to shot perfect.

Nice work Robert and Frank.

Tiplodocus

Well, I just read through THAT YELLOW BASTARD courtesy of BORDER's and a STARBUCKS (still cheaper than buying the thing).

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

I'm not sure I enjoyed this one as much as the other SIN CITY stuff I've read.  It could just be familiarity breeding contempt (never read John Irving novels consecutively) but there's a pretty dubious core to the story.  

"NANCY is all filled out".  It just seems all kind of wrong and creepy. Obviously women as sexual objects don't just fall, fully formed off trees and in a different kind of comic or book I'd have put this down to the author trying to get us to question the way we look at such things but, this being SIN CITY, I don't reckon this is the case.  It all just left me feeling uneasy.

The reveal of who That Yellow Bastard (TYB) is is also a bit crap and clunky for my tastes.  The well-spoken side kicks are a pretty cheap joke and I didn't get why we had a prison guards thought bubbles intruding on various scenes.

And is it just me or is there a gigantic big lump of logic missing from the plot.

Hartigan makes parole, and goes looking for Nancy by leafing through the telephone book.  "Ooops, I've led the baddies to her" he says later.  Didn't the baddies have access to a telephone book?  My original thought was that TYB was after "Cordlia" (Nancy) but that doesn't ring true with some of the later lines he says at The Farm.

Anyway, definitely the least of the books I've read so far, probably because I didn't enjoy looking at the usual eight pages of Nancy dancing for some reason...

Or is it just me?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

paulvonscott

It's an entertaining movie, visually really engaging, with some great performances.  It's three stories they vaguely try and link together, but there's no overall story linking them.

Worth a watch, it might be a bit depressing for a night out, as it's fairly grim, but if you miss it at the cinema, worth a DVD rental.

ukdane

's in the news.

Sequel is in production.

Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/4561547.stm" target="_blank">A Dame to Kill For

Cheers

-Daney

James

Interesting, as IIRC the Dwight character from the Big Fat Kill is the main character from Dame to Kill for post plastic surgery.

Mudcrab

To fiddle with an Alan Moore quote (unrelated to this), it's not the best comic film ever, it's not the best film ever, it's the best thing ever!

But of course I haven't um, seen it yet and will be scuttling to the pictures to see it as soon as.

Seriously, it's feckin awesome. The Hard Goodbye chapter (as it's now called, the one with Marv, first GN) really is a film of the book, quite literally. I reckon about 50% of the dialogue must be used straight from the book, pretty much every major scene is replicated beautifully (or uglully).

Even if you haven't read Sin City, you'll love it (adjust for taste obviously but well, most of you would agree I'm sure). I could honestly state that it's the best film since Pulp Fiction for being seriously cool.

"Interesting, as IIRC the Dwight character from the Big Fat Kill is the main character from Dame to Kill for post plastic surgery."

Yes indeed, someone says to him "Like the new face", which hilariously inspired theories from a mate about the 3 characters being the same person, linked with Marv's delusions etc. Dear oh dear. I'll leave them to think that till the next film's out :o)
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!