Yeah I'm still sniggering over that one!  :lol:

reminds me of the old Rodney Marsh anecdote

sheridan

QuoteGone to space wizard, IOU one child corpse

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: sheridan on 19 June, 2018, 07:27:39 PM
QuoteGone to space wizard, IOU one child corpse

That's Fox's favorite!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling hundred and sixth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 342-345 of 2000AD, covering November and December of 1983. This week Johnny Alpha fights a necromancer, Dredd heads to a rumble, Slaine does the bull dance, and it's time for more BIG JOBS!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Lobo Baggins

Post 'Eye of the Traitor', it increasingly looks like Rogue Trooper has forgotten about the Main Quest and has become determined to finish all the Side Missions, even the stupid ones and the weird off kilter dream sequence one.  He even dodges out of an NPC trying to railroad him back into hunting for the Traitor at one point...
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 25 June, 2018, 03:29:27 PM
Post 'Eye of the Traitor', it increasingly looks like Rogue Trooper has forgotten about the Main Quest and has become determined to finish all the Side Missions, even the stupid ones and the weird off kilter dream sequence one.  He even dodges out of an NPC trying to railroad him back into hunting for the Traitor at one point...

That is an amazing analogy! It's so true too, like "hey let's so this optional quest to gain telekinesis powers!" "let's finish off the major magnam questline" and stuff. They know once they have the final showdown Rogue is in trouble!

Steve Green

Shame the Fr1day DLC pack never took off.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 25 June, 2018, 03:29:27 PM

:lol:
@jamesfeistdraws

sheridan

Quote from: Steve Green on 25 June, 2018, 04:45:50 PM
Shame the Fr1day DLC pack never took off.

It had a promising start but later expansions failed to live up to expectations ;)

Leigh S

The Moses Incident is probably my favourite Stront story ever, so glad Conrad called that as his top after the disappointment of Fox dropping it behind Rogue and those darned killer dames! Honestly, its now Sister Sledge, the Scan Sector Dancing Queen, Venus and now bubble girl as bad uns... it is worse than the casual comedy racism for me as a "hard to justify to modern eyes" flaw of those early progs.

And not just to knock to opposition: In Stront's favour, here is an excerpt from my Dogbreath review of TMI:

What is particularly well pitched is the balance between a mature and introspective tale of consequence, all out action set pieces, humour and intrigue. Malak Brood's chillingly calculated manipulation of Alpha's guilt drives the tale to its perfect conclusion. 

Yet despite the deeper than usual themes, nothing feels forced, preachy or overly maudlin.  Wagner and Grants true talent has been in how they make this mix look so effortless – there's no showboating here.  So many lesser writers would signpost how clever and mature they were in their use of the themes this story touches upon, but Wagner and Grant's light touch and keen eye for rollicking adventure mean that their more subtler talent for characterisation often goes unsung

Greg M.

Quote from: Leigh S on 26 June, 2018, 04:35:14 PM
Honestly, its now Sister Sledge, the Scan Sector Dancing Queen, Venus and now bubble girl as bad uns... it is worse than the casual comedy racism for me as a "hard to justify to modern eyes" flaw of those early progs.

In a comic aimed at young boys, the 'Ugh! Girls!" aspect of Rogue Trooper is more akin to Calvin's G.R.O.S.S. club than anything. I've long found it amusing how much the bio-chips echo the playground attitudes of the prog's then-contemporary readers: "Stop being all mushy and hanging out with girls, Rogue! Get back to shooting people!"

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: Greg M. on 26 June, 2018, 06:47:08 PM
Quote from: Leigh S on 26 June, 2018, 04:35:14 PM
Honestly, its now Sister Sledge, the Scan Sector Dancing Queen, Venus and now bubble girl as bad uns... it is worse than the casual comedy racism for me as a "hard to justify to modern eyes" flaw of those early progs.

In a comic aimed at young boys, the 'Ugh! Girls!" aspect of Rogue Trooper is more akin to Calvin's G.R.O.S.S. club than anything. I've long found it amusing how much the bio-chips echo the playground attitudes of the prog's then-contemporary readers: "Stop being all mushy and hanging out with girls, Rogue! Get back to shooting people!"

You could read that as a reflection of the GI's training and development - they've been designed, built and trained to be organic killing machines, but otherwise have the emotional maturity of children.

I don't think Rogue Trooper was ever that deep, though, and that would make Venus Bluegenes' status in Millicom Memories even more disturbing (the visiting officers appear to be using the Dolls as little more than comfort girls, after all).
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

The Monarch

you uncultered american swines did not just diss terrahawks  :P the last great gerry anderson puppet show with the goddamn creepiest villian who haunted my nightmares as a kid....well until killing time took zeldas place

Dandontdare

The "Y-Bob" thing is a bit weird - it definitely means youth, as in YMCA, but I'm unaware of an other real-life examples of it being used this way - Wagner likes it though as it crops up a few times.

It's a testament to the quality, of the progs around this time that every single strip has been collected - in fact, you could probably spend the first 20 minutes listing all the various re-prints and different editions that they's appeared in.

And yes, Rogue is by far the weakest story in this line-up. The hunt for the Traitor General was okay, but has been spread out far too long, and once he gets him the strip loses focus completely. I was never a huge fan of Rogue - loads of great future war concepts (biochips, chem clouds, bio-wire etc) but, even as a kid, I found the usual narrative of "show up, save some Southers, shoot some Norts and then moodily wander off" to be a bit dull.

Colin YNWA

I've made no secret of my distaste when it comes to Rogue. Always pretty but dumb. I find it endlessly fascinating that in a line-up this good there could be any doubt its the weakest strip.