Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 14 June, 2019, 04:29:09 PM
Ha, no, but that is excellent and now I need to see that. There is no movie ever made that would not be improved at least 50% by the inclusion of a giant spider.
SBT

I knew Citizen Kane was lacking something.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Tiplodocus

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 15 June, 2019, 12:22:20 PM
Ha, no, but that is excellent and now I need to see that. There is no movie ever made that would not be improved at least 50% by the inclusion of a giant spider.
SBT

Yet somehow, it didn't help EIGHT LEGGED FREAKS.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

I, Cosh

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 15 June, 2019, 02:10:11 PM
SBT

Imagine how bag it would have been without the spiders!
We never really die.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

I have a great deal of affection Eight Legged Freaks- as it was a favourite of my kids when they were small. However, the decision to give the spiders squeaky voices sunk it for me. The short film that got them the gig to make it in the first place (included on the UK dvd) is far, far better.

SBT

Greg M.

It's got pterodactyls (and rubber octopus footage borrowed from a Fu Manchu movie) - what more do you want?

A giant spider, evidently.

Mardroid

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 14 June, 2019, 03:25:22 PM
Tarzan's Desert Mystery (1943)

Johnny Weissmuller stars as Tarzan, no Jane is present but she writes to him asking him to go get some "fever medicine" that is located in a mysterious jungle across a desert and at the end of the film.

When he gets to the end of the film,  and reaches the jungle, Tarzan finds giant lizards, lions, carnivorous plants and eventually a giant spider. And it that huge arachnid that concerns me.

This is THE Tarzan film of my childhood. And the giant spider was at least as memorable as any number of Dr Whos,  Hammer House of Horrors or episodes of Nationwide in which Frank Bough warned us all about werewolves.

However, it wasn't this spider.

Honestly, the sequence is great but it's nothing like I remember. Wrong spider,  wrong size,  Wrong web, wrong location, wrong person in the web,  wrong wrong wrong.

So- is this a case of memory cheating? And if so, how do you explain my mate having the same memory as me? Is there another Tarzan vs Giant Spider epic? Do we both remember a completely different film, not Tarzan at all? And if so,  how? Were Weissmuller Tarzans always shown in a certain slot during the mid seventies and then one week something different was shown, so confusing two ageing men prone to reminiscing about.such things?

Argh.

SBT

I don't remember the names, but I think I remember 2 Tarzan films ( or maybe once was a TV episode) featuring giant spiders. Iseem to remember one being like a huge hairy tarantula (possibly more than one), and another being a more hairless thing. I thinking of the latter as a big pink monstrosity, but that might be my memory playing tricks,as I'm not sure it would have been colour, and I remember having a toy spider that looked similar.

I'm referring to memories around 30 years old.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Tarzan and giant spiders seem to go together,  I feel. At least on screen. In the original ERB novels I'm not so sure, as I've only just started reading them. Maybe it's the cryptozoological stories of the J'ba Fo'fi, but deepest colonial Africa and giant arachnids seem a good fit. So much so I would be surprised if they weren't featured on a semi regular basis.

That said, extensive Googling has revealed only Desert Mystery. I would LOVE to see any more.

The Ron Ely tv show, which was the Tarzan of many people now between 35-45 (being slightly older, my Tarzan is Weissmuller) was surely too low budget, and low on special effects to have featured them? And in colour, which my memories aren't. But- we had a black and white tv until at least 1973, and I had one in my bedroom a lot later than that. And memories, eh? Who can trust them?

SBT

Tiplodocus

STAR TREK II: The Wrath of Khan.

Practically perfect in every way. It was a Director's cut which has a few extra scenes and some extended ones.  Most of which work though I don't remember Bones being quite so harsh to Spock in the original cut (he uses  very strong "You green-blooded inhuman etc." insults which seemed a bit harsh given how long they've been the holy trinity but as my memory is failing, I can't remember if these were always there or additional).

What amazes me is that I always remember it as being more action packed than it is; there are only two big set pieces in the whole thing; both space battles but both are so brilliantly paced with clear stakes laid out that they seem much more.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

broodblik

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 17 June, 2019, 10:02:09 AM
STAR TREK II: The Wrath of Khan.

Practically perfect in every way. It was a Director's cut which has a few extra scenes and some extended ones.  Most of which work though I don't remember Bones being quite so harsh to Spock in the original cut (he uses  very strong "You green-blooded inhuman etc." insults which seemed a bit harsh given how long they've been the holy trinity but as my memory is failing, I can't remember if these were always there or additional).

What amazes me is that I always remember it as being more action packed than it is; there are only two big set pieces in the whole thing; both space battles but both are so brilliantly paced with clear stakes laid out that they seem much more.

This is one of my favorite Trekkie movies. What is interesting of this movie is that the director Nicholas Meyer has never seen an episode of  Start Trek.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Keef Monkey

Finally saw Aquaman and thought it was great fun. Like a big campy underwater Flash Gordon, really benefited from not taking itself anywhere near as seriously as all those other dour DC movies, and seeing a superhero movie that's just throwing as much bonkers stuff around as possible was really refreshing.

Theblazeuk

Double bill last night of Destroyer and Overlord.

Both pretty violent though very different. Destroyer is a good watch, Nicole Kidman is good in the lead and the noir cred is pretty good throughout. Overlord was also fun, though objectively a lesser movie it never dragged and had some good performances and did its range of cliches pretty well. I would have enjoyed a more nightmarish descent into Eldritch forces in WW2 but I'm not complaining.

von Boom

I finally saw Captain Marvel. That's about all I can say for it.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: von Boom on 17 June, 2019, 04:12:13 PM
I finally saw Captain Marvel. That's about all I can say for it.

That's pretty much my thoughts on Justice League,  which I watched last night.   Wonder woman  was great, and Batman was far better than previous Affleck Batman (touch of the Lego Batman about him, in a good way) but it was a mess. The bad guy was rubbish, and a waste of Ciaran Hinds' talents.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Mardroid

I liked both. And really liked Captain Marvel.

I don't disagree Justice League could have been better mind.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 15 June, 2019, 02:10:11 PM
SBT

On the other hand,  it's hard to imagine Eight Legged Freaks without spiders.