Main Menu

Fallout 76

Started by Link Prime, 30 May, 2018, 03:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Please let this be something that I can waste 250 hours of my life on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ye84Zrqndo

Greg M.

Please let it be better than Fallout 4.

Professor Bear

I unstanned Fallout after Bethesda pulled that shit with the download codes on F4 GOTY.  They'll never get another penny from me, but if I ever miss the feeling of playing a new Fallout, I'll just put on Fo3 or FNV and randomly turn it off to simulate the constant crashes of a new Bethesda release.

jacob g

As I thought, next Fallout will be online game.
margaritas ante porcos

GrudgeJohnDeed

An online fallout could be the best thing ever, but I wasn't too taken with Elder Scrolls Online so I'm wary. Something pretty ruthless and emergent like Sea Of Thieves would be a great direction to take an online Fallout game in for me, where the full world is open to everyone from the start, and players can kill and rob each other whenever they choose and alliances are verbal and temporary. Give people the power to build settlements together and trade and you'd get communities and economies forming over time which would be fantastic, it'd be a super interesting social experiment as well as a game.

Link Prime

Not much interest in an online Fallout game for me.
Could be fun though.

moogie101

Still don't know why but despite loving 3 & New Vegas the fourth game didn't hook me in. And an online version full of constant griefers just sounds terrible.

The Enigmatic Dr X

I'm battling through Fallout 4 just now on the Xbox. Patched at 4K it's pretty damn... pretty.

Just hit 100 hour on it. Fallout 3, with the expansions, took me about 130 hours and I'm close to wrapping up the last DLC before finishing the main game.

It was (is) exactly like Fallout 3. I mean that as a compliment. I don't understand how anyone can distinguish the two.
Lock up your spoons!

Greg M.

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 25 June, 2018, 06:51:38 PM

It was (is) exactly like Fallout 3. I mean that as a compliment. I don't understand how anyone can distinguish the two.

The games are similar, but far from indistinguishable. Fallout 4 gives the RPG elements far less prominence, stripping them down in favour of the FPS aspects. As such, I greatly prefer 3. Your ability to talk your way out of situations is much more pronounced and precisely measured in 3, to the extent that in 4, you're not even sure what you're about to say some of the time. 4 also lacks the consistent eccentricity of 3. It's not wholly absent - the USS Constitution quest in 4 is pure 3 - but the game feels much more tailored to mainstream 'serious' tastes.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Oh. Not got to the Constitution quest yet.
Lock up your spoons!

The Enigmatic Dr X

Problem is I played 3 like I'm playing 4: skulk about until I am ridiculously overpowered, then kill everything and everyone in a homicidal rage.
Lock up your spoons!

Greg M.

Well, fair enough - in that case, I can see where you're coming from. As you can tell, I like taking a more loquacious approach - Fallout 3 (and New Vegas) are both much more conducive to that style of play.

GrudgeJohnDeed

I never got round to Fallout 4, loved 3 though. One change I heard about from 3 to 4 is that the player character speaks and has his own personality, It's not a deal-breaker but I prefer the idea of the blank slate from 3 that I can project myself onto.

Professor Bear

If you do pc gaming, there are many large quest mods for F3 and FNV that expand the life of the game significantly.  Frontier and New California are dropping in the near future, and feature game-sized quests and play areas using the pre-Fallout 4 game engines (and Fallout: Miami for F4 aficionados).

Greg M.

I had absolutely no intention of buying this. The idea of an online Fallout game didn't particularly interest me. And yet... somehow I seem to be playing it, and, despite the rather superfluous onliney-ness, enjoying it. How did that happen?