Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PreacherCain

Quote from: Bat King on 25 January, 2012, 11:37:35 PM
Green Lantern and Ironman are probably a heck of a lot more well known in USA than Dredd.

Iron Man, maybe. But before the film came out, I don't think GL was very well known. Probably why it spent SO much time trying to explain every nuance of continuity throughout that awful, awful film.

Again, i think JD and the idea is at least as well known as that character based purely on the fact there was already a big budget blockbuster made 15 years ago. Poeple still talk about how terrible it is :P

Hell I'm pretty sure I saw it referenced in an episode of Community not too long ago!

MR. ELIMINATOR

Hey I don't know if anyone has brought this up before, but I was watching Magnum Force (Dirty Harry) the other day and realised that the intro is the same as the intro for the leaked script. Thought it was pretty clever of Garland considering Judge Dredd was partially  inspired by Dirty Harry.

JOE SOAP

It's one shot that's similar in the intro to Dredd the character.

Gonk

I'd still like to see a series of ~Judge Dredd. After the 9.00 watershed of course, although that's lost it's relevance nowadays.
coming at a cinema near you soon

radiator

Green Lantern and Iron Man are INFINITELY more popular and well known than Dredd, especially in the US.

It still surprises me just how much fans of Dredd overestimate the popularity and marketability of the property.

In terms of broad awareness I'd say it's more on the level of something like Jonah Hex.

James Stacey

Conversely I'd say a lot of us underestimate the cultural impact he has had in the UK. It often surprises me when he's mentioned in mainstream press or caricatured but it really shouldn't.   

radiator

QuoteConversely I'd say a lot of us underestimate the cultural impact he has had in the UK.

Yeah, in the UK. Even so, I'd be willing to bet that most people would be surprised to learn that Dredd/2000ad is still going. But everywhere else, he is known - pretty much exclusively - for the Stallone film.

Bat King

Quote from: PreacherCain on 26 January, 2012, 12:12:03 AM
Quote from: Bat King on 25 January, 2012, 11:37:35 PM
Green Lantern and Ironman are probably a heck of a lot more well known in USA than Dredd.

Iron Man, maybe. But before the film came out, I don't think GL was very well known. Probably why it spent SO much time trying to explain every nuance of continuity throughout that awful, awful film.

Again, i think JD and the idea is at least as well known as that character based purely on the fact there was already a big budget blockbuster made 15 years ago. Poeple still talk about how terrible it is :P

Hell I'm pretty sure I saw it referenced in an episode of Community not too long ago!

Quote from: radiator on 26 January, 2012, 11:03:42 AM
Green Lantern and Iron Man are INFINITELY more popular and well known than Dredd, especially in the US.

It still surprises me just how much fans of Dredd overestimate the popularity and marketability of the property.

In terms of broad awareness I'd say it's more on the level of something like Jonah Hex.

Look here, http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2011/2011-12.html, as Radiator says, Green Lantern is pure and simply way ahead of any 2000AD character in USA.  Quite why anyone thinks that one of the top DC characters can be less well known in USA than Judge Dredd is beyond me.

Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, Green Arrow. In other words the central characters of Justice League since Silver Age...  They outsell Marvel.

Don't misunderstand how well the UK market knows US products with how well USA know UK products - in almost any market.  US Comics, TV & Film have constantly been imported to UK.  USA mostly watch and buy domestic products.

Of course as a Dredd fan I know they are missing out.  If they give 2000AD a far crack it should be a huge market force.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

James Stacey

Quote from: radiator on 26 January, 2012, 11:20:59 AM
QuoteConversely I'd say a lot of us underestimate the cultural impact he has had in the UK.

Yeah, in the UK. Even so, I'd be willing to bet that most people would be surprised to learn that Dredd/2000ad is still going. But everywhere else, he is known - pretty much exclusively - for the Stallone film.
Agreed.

Gonk

I accept it's only wishful thinking on my part. I never really thought of Dredd being a cult thing though. Well not in the U.K.. Him becoming a cult figure would be as bad as him becoming Disneyfied by the American markets.... "buy your Judge Dredd pencil case.." :lol:

Bat King

Mega City One Theme Park.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

blackmocco

Hate to say it but beyond a hardcore bunch of comic fans, Dredd isn't well-known at all over here in Los Angeles. Even finding Dredd material in the well-known comic stores is a tough slog. People may not know the ins and outs of Green Lantern but they are at the very least aware he's a comic property in the same way they know that with Thor and Iron Man. Dredd is associated first and foremost as a movie Stallone was in that cost way too much and everyone laughed at as his career flew into a mountain. And everyone mixes it up with Demolition Man. So that's great.

To be honest, as we get closer to September, I'm starting to get a little concerned about what kind of reception it'll get. I don't know what Priest brought in box office wise but I can't help but think it'll be treated, marketed and received similarly as in an extreme niche release.

Also, I know we've been through the whole "director locked out of Dredd" nonsense and come through the other side but that story really seems to have stuck in people's consciousness. It made pretty big news here when it came out and I'm willing to (sadly) take bets that practically every review will begin with that story.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Danbo

If it's a good Dredd film that sticks to the feel and badassitude of the comic then I think the yanks will be in for a shock.

If.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: blackmocco on 26 January, 2012, 03:55:24 PM
Hate to say it but beyond a hardcore bunch of comic fans, Dredd isn't well-known at all over here in Los Angeles...
Also, I know we've been through the whole "director locked out of Dredd" nonsense and come through the other side but that story really seems to have stuck in people's consciousness. It made pretty big news here when it came out and I'm willing to (sadly) take bets that practically every review will begin with that story.

Was it pretty big news to people who never heard or Dredd?

Gonk

Quote from: DanboJohnJ on 26 January, 2012, 04:51:44 PM
If it's a good Dredd film that sticks to the feel and badassitude of the comic then I think the yanks will be in for a shock.

If.

Only another eight or so months and we can find out.