Main Menu

Kill Dredd!

Started by beta, 21 May, 2003, 12:16:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queen Firey-Bou

aaiieeeee, the painnnnnnn ....gnnnn .....make it stop !!

Slippery PD

its pants isnt it. pffffff.

Nope thats the other thread!!!

Yer Slippo :)

beta

Hold on, back up a minute...the "mature 80s nonsense"?!  What are you on, Watcher?

That 80's nonsense revolutionised the comic world...The Watchmen?  SwampThing?Alan Moore? Frank Miller?  The Dark Night? The reason comics are read outside playgrounds?

I'm not saying get rid of dredd completely, but at least turn a corner...and dont give me crap about another world changing epic being on its way, Dredd will walk out of it the same way he walked through the desert on Hestia, the same way he walked out of Sabats cave, the same way he has walked out of the cursed earth one many an occasion.

A man who has lived his entire life behind a mask, a man who has fought wars, laid his life on the line everyday to make the world a safer place, all in the knowledge that the people he is protecting would celebrate his death.  That has to eat at him...remember, dredd has been diagnosed as mentally unstable...can this guy continue on the same path, seeing the corruption around him, the betrayal of a sacred trust, knowing of the his own genetic predisposition to weakness...So, an epiphany.

Take of the helmet, and breakdown...a loss of faith, and not just another problem to walk through.

karne

You don't fool me "Beta", you're Dale Carnegie aren't you.

Something Fishy

Serious Chastisement Outs Jester Oncemore

Leigh S

Well, Alan Moore could do it, but it was a bandwagon that soon collapsed under the weight of a thousand Moore wannabes.  Crisis was born from the belief that comics were not just for the playground, but in the clamour, the comics industry lost touch with its core audience and became a very small niche for people like us.  2000AD tried to be something it wasnt, and didnt actually need to be.  What was more mature - Wagners Robohunter or Millars?

Whenever I hear talk of grim 'n' gritty, I reach for my Dan Dare space pistol....

JayzusB.Christ

I know. What about a story where Dredd gets killed?

(followed by sounds of running and snickering)

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Bart Oliver

"Like Taggart?"

Well General if that's a comparison you want to make- I suppose so.

It's something I envisage happening eventually- never said I liked the idea- the whole thing with A World Without Joe was an
attempt to sugar the pill a little.
Obviously you're not a golfer.

Generally Contrary

"Well General if that's a comparison you want to make- I suppose so."

Perry Mason also continued without the man himself.  I'm sorry, I'm being silly.

I actually think that Judge Dredd could easily continue without Him.  However, I don't think that will happen for quite some time yet...

Devons Daddy

i have agreat comparison for a dredd world without dredd.
 it would be just like that show in teh UK many of you watch
 HEART BEAT.
the main character ( nick Berry?) a policeman left the show,but it carried on. see thats a perfect example.

or a more sill one would be
it would be like the strontuim dog tales we where landed with. ferral and his buddies.

some how i dont see it happening.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Generally Contrary

Yes, but the main character in Heatbeat was always Otto 'Greengrass' Sump.  And though he carries the show in the Yorkshire version of the hard-as-nails-cop-fiction, he's dead in Megacity 1.

Yeah!  Strontium Dogs - shouldn't we be starting a petition to beg Tharg for more?

btw: Yorkshire isn't like that.  In my experience it's much more like Last of the Summer Wine.

Queen Firey-Bou

"What are you on, Watcher? "

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWW (waggling fingers under chin & brandishing a handbag )

Seriously Chaps Obviously Joe's Old-but-stays.

Proudhuff

Queen B what are you doing here? there's somebody trying to get in the shop!! quick!
DDT did a job on me

karne

Bearing in mind that the stars of the strip are really more Dredd's world and it's inhabitants i.e. Mega-city one and it's citizens, the Cursed Earth and it's muties etc, do we really need the original Dredd?

Spaceghost

hands up who enjoys 2000ad for its gritty realism....oh, thats nobody then is it? I don't care if Dredd is pushing 70, as long as wagner can come up with decent storylines and ways to keep him on the streets, I'll be happy. Don't forget, it's a comic and wierd things are supposed to happen, that's kind of the point.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...