Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abelardsnazz

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 02 March, 2018, 09:46:55 AM
I suspect a Dredd set would soon start scraping the barrel. We've already had enough duff volumes, and I don't want to see more. Really, we could have knocked at least 10 out of what we already had and improved the collection, and so 90 and done is fine by me.

Quote from: The Amstor Computer on 02 March, 2018, 11:32:45 AM
It's a pity, as having got used to setting aside £20 to commit to the Dredd partwork, I'd have been a relatively easy sell to smoothly transition to the Ultimate Collection but having a 5-10 month patch where my commitment would have to double (depending on whether I went for the extension on Dredd) was just too much of an obstacle. I don't know how critical it is to Hachette's business that they hit certain release windows, but if they had been able to delay the 2000AD partwork to March 2018 they'd have made the decision to skip it far tougher.

The extension volumes so far are top quality, and it would have been great to have these in the original run rather than the duff volumes, so it might have made things easier to stop at 80. I guess business & marketing decisions may outweigh what we as customers would ideally like. Red Razors will however remain on my shelf not to be read again, its function making up its part of the spine image.

Tomwe

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 02 March, 2018, 12:28:25 PM
You'd have to contact the publisher, but as far as I'm aware, it's subject to stock, and you just end up running X months behind.

If they have any sense, they'd actually advertise this when the Dredd collection ends, and offer three options:

- Sub from issue 1
- Sub from whatever issue they're at by that point
- Catch-up from X and sub (which, natch, would require a hefty initial payment)

yeah you'd be behind but thats not the end of the world. subscribing page here

IndigoPrime

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 02 March, 2018, 12:30:49 PMThe extension volumes so far are top quality, and it would have been great to have these in the original run rather than the duff volumes, so it might have made things easier to stop at 80. I guess business & marketing decisions may outweigh what we as customers would ideally like. Red Razors will however remain on my shelf not to be read again, its function making up its part of the spine image.
Yep. I genuinely don't understand what the criteria was in selecting some of these volumes. By all means have a broad selection of Dredd's world, but you don't have to dedicate entire volumes to crap. It's rather weird to trudge through a shitty volume and at the end have an essay or interview saying how crap it was.

There are books where I'd say curiosities of dubious quality do somewhat work. The Day The Law Died including Helter Skelter is one such example. The latter's an oddball story and not much cop, but I was happy to see it in a volume that had quality content in it. But you could strike the likes of The Heavy Mob and Red Razors from the collection, and it'd arguably be an improvement. And that's a problem. To some extent, it feels like a 60-volume collection was suddenly 'stretched' to 80 at relatively short notice.

I'm still happy I subscribed, but it's a pity to sometimes be sitting there looking at a nicely produced book and thinking: "This could actually have been filled with decent content".

abelardsnazz

Really enjoyed the new Anderson volume. Great idea and stunning art from Dave Taylor on Big Robots, and fascinating to see the evolution of Boo Cook's style on the rest of the stories.

The intro says the next Anderson volume will be Dead End, but that won't fill it, hopefully we'll get the Steve Sampson stories too. And, if there's room, it would be great to see a few remaining annual/special stories. They aren't essential but I like how the collection has included a lot of these.

Jade Falcon

The new Anderson one was quite a good volume.  Stories were unusual and the art style for the most part was nice.  Thoroughly enjoyable over all.  If only all the collection had been to this standard.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Apestrife

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 04 March, 2018, 01:41:10 AM
Really enjoyed the new Anderson volume. Great idea and stunning art from Dave Taylor on Big Robots, and fascinating to see the evolution of Boo Cook's style on the rest of the stories.

The intro says the next Anderson volume will be Dead End, but that won't fill it, hopefully we'll get the Steve Sampson stories too. And, if there's room, it would be great to see a few remaining annual/special stories. They aren't essential but I like how the collection has included a lot of these.

My guess is that Dead end will collect some of the cadet Anderson stuff. Remember some of it tying into Dead end.

robert_ellis

I know it won't happen but I'd be happy to see the Carl Critchlow IDw series included.

Dark Jimbo

So the final volume will be War on the Streets; with a creator line-up including Wagner, Grant, Bolland, Wilson, Ezquerra, Dillon, Gibson, Robinson, Ron Smith and Barry Mitchell it's gonna be an old-school classic!
@jamesfeistdraws

Apestrife

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 05 March, 2018, 06:57:22 PM
So the final volume will be War on the Streets; with a creator line-up including Wagner, Grant, Bolland, Wilson, Ezquerra, Dillon, Gibson, Robinson, Ron Smith and Barry Mitchell it's gonna be an old-school classic!

Sounds awesome. Reveal from one of the books? Can't find it on the fb page or on the dredd mega collection website.

Dark Jimbo

Yes. A little titbit from Tharg's human avatar Matt Smith as he writes the last Mega Collection intro.
@jamesfeistdraws

Apestrife

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 06 March, 2018, 08:53:11 AM
Yes. A little titbit from Tharg's human avatar Matt Smith as he writes the last Mega Collection intro.

Thanks. Cant wait to read it :)

GaryUK

oddballuk

Quote from: GaryUK on 06 March, 2018, 03:58:12 PM
Issue 84 is 'Blood of Emeralds'.

Nice, looks like Every Empire Falls collected then.

QuoteIn the wake of the Day of Chaos, Mega-City One's resources are stretched to breaking point. So when raiders called the Grindstone Cowboys start attacking Cursed Earth farms, cutting off vital supplies, Dredd is dispatched to promptly deal with the perps. But there is more to the mutant outlaws than meets the eye – and the ramifications will threaten the very heart of Justice Department... Scripted by Michael Carroll (Jennifer Blood, DeMarco P.I.) and John Wagner (Button Man), and featuring the art of Colin MacNeil (America), Henry Flint (Shakara), Carlos Ezquerra (Strontium Dog), PJ Holden (Dept of Monsterology) and more, this explosive epic travels from the streets of MC-1 to Brit-Cit, from Murphyville to the Cursed Earth – and uncovers a conspiracy that rocks Dredd's world!