Stuff you don't see anymore.

Started by Suede1971, 22 April, 2017, 09:49:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Supreme Pizza Of The DPRK

Kik Jeans, Stash Pants, Dreadys....whatever they were called in your town

Oh how I miss the late 90's

sheridan

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 12 June, 2017, 09:26:28 PM
My street/ garden is a veritble Attenborough documentary.

In the last few weeks we've had snails, slugs, a frog, hedgehogs and foxes. My kids love it.

We also get deer if it snows too much.

We only get robins, cats, squirrels, slugs, snails and puppy fox tails!

JayzusB.Christ

People flicking the V-sign. It's been overtaken completely by its inferior yank cousin, the middle finger.
Two fingers: lost in history with the Pistols, Rik Mayall and Liam Gallagher when anyone give a rat's arse about him.
And Pat Mills' origin story for it is a myth.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Mardroid

After moving to the relative country (well... the outskirts of Dartford, if that counts. One direction, is really towny, but there are fields in the other direction and a river and a bunch of lakes not far away) I was disapponted in the actual lack of wildlife

Near my old place I used to see foxes regularly, and a variety of birds, and squirrels were regular visitors to the garden.

Foxes are about here, (I've heard them) but I've only seen them a mile or so away. We do have a lot of robins though. I think my dad might have seen a squirrel a while ago, but I had to wander in the woods nearby before I saw one, and that was a way into the walk.

I soon changed my mind concerning the lack of wildlife when a toad and a grass snake turned up recently. I never saw snakes in Bromley! (I held the toad, by the way. It's skin is actually dry! I thought it was a slightly unusual frog to start with, but then it walked... They hop too, but they tend to just stroll most of the time. I didn't try to hold the snake, just in case it turned out to be an adder.**)

We have a pond (hence the attraction of the toad and the snake* I guess.) which we inherited from the previous owners. It's full of fish. They're nice to view (when I can see them in that murky water), but I'm not sure they quality as wildlife.  When we cleared out the pond recently, there were an abundance of frogs too. (They were a lot of fun to relocate to/from the paddling pool. Hint: curve your fingers around in front of them so they can't use your palm as a launch pad. We had family friend's kids around too, that day. Imagine the squeals...)

*I saw the snake in the pond. Apparently grass snakes like to hang out in water areas. Kinda like anacondas, I guess except much much much much much smaller.  Their prey tends to be frogs rather than peccaries and crocodiles. :lol:

**Unlikely, but why stress it? I mainly picked up the toad as I wanted to relocate it off the patio where the sun could fry it, or it might get stepped on.

The Legendary Shark

As I was mowing the campsite the other day, what appeared to be a young starling (possibly on its first flight) came hurtling around a hedge and almost collided with my chest. After a brief moment of panic (for both of us) it settled on the handle of the lawnmower, gasping and quivering, as I continued on. It looked up at me like a cartoon character, seeming to suddenly realise that I might be Wile E. Coyote, and then flew away in an erratic panic (I could almost hear it going, "Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit," as it went), hitting and narrowly avoiding becoming entangled in the hedge before weaving off into the woods at an altitude of around six inches.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Doctor Alt 8

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 12 June, 2017, 09:26:28 PM
My street/ garden is a veritble Attenborough documentary.

In the last few weeks we've had snails, slugs, a frog, hedgehogs and foxes. My kids love it.

We also get deer if it snows too much.

You lucky so and so. You should take photos....

sheridan

I saw a couple of badgers the other day - and not long after a bat or two.

The Doctor Alt 8

Careful now.the government will be popping round to gas them...

JLC

Definitely Not Mister Pops

That's because they don't put bonemeal in dog food anymore due to EU regulations. Thank god for brexit, eh?
You may quote me on that.

JLC

Quote from: Mister Pops on 24 June, 2017, 12:19:12 PM
That's because they don't put bonemeal in dog food anymore due to EU regulations. Thank god for brexit, eh?
I know...

Mardroid

Not so long ago people seemed to keep to the left in tube or train stations/concourses between stations, etc (well not everyone, but due to signs it was the convention). Now it seems the majority keep to the right... Not everywhere, but the places I've been recently, it's increased.

I wondered why. I wondered if it was the influx of tourists in recent years*, but lots of tourism in London is nothing new. Then I saw the signs:"keep right". Wonder when they changed that...

A silly small thing to bug me, but I  just get a bit anxious amongst crowds, and getting in peoples' way, so find it mildly annoying seeing a whole bunch of people walking down the steps I'm autopiloting towards... 😂

*, And most of them coming from countries that drive on the right, and and thus presumably walk on the right in train\tube stations, and etc.

Theblazeuk

Mardroid it has been "keep right" on the tube signage for best part of a decade! :o Still walk on the left on stairs, 'Keep Right' is solely for the escalators so that people can walk past you if they are feeling energetic/in a rush/etc.

Now I know who it is that keeps blocking the escalators at least...