Main Menu

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)

Started by Goaty, 07 April, 2016, 12:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

THREADJACK: interview with Mark Hamill. He talks about Rogue One, Force Awakens, Lucas, and the prequels, but the bit I found most interesting * was his observations on what the deleted scenes from the original Star Wars reveal about his character. No wonder the Emperor thought he could be turned.

Hamill also does a mean Harrison Ford impression and reveals why Larry Hagman shat his pants.

* Along with the tales of alternate Star Wars casting. That never gets old.

I, Cosh

Finally saw this tonight. Liked it a lot. There follow a few observations which have undoubtedly been mulled over earlier in this thread.

Could've trimmed a few shots of generic rebels running around and getting exploded in the last third but that's about my biggest complaint.

Jyn was great. Largo Winch was a decent foil. Yer big robot man had all the best lines. Obviously loved Donnie Yen and, more importantly, the fact that they learned from TFA and actually gave him a couple of good extended fight scenes. Slightly bemused by Brother Ghost Dog's weird combination of Vader, Immortan Joe and Frank from Blue Velvet. In a good way.

Callbacks to earlier films were there but seemed far less obtrusive than the greatest hits package of TFA. Also, it actually makes sense for R2D2 and C3PO to be in this rebel base.

The blatant parallels between the initial rebel ambush and similar attacks on occupying forces in desert countries of the real world was unexpectedly ballsy for a Star Wars film as was the brief exploration of different levels of commitment vs fanaticism.

I took it that Bale Organa's parting line is a major revelation for future installments but maybe it's just something I've missed by not reading the Poe Dameron comic?

Overally, very surprised how much I enjoyed it.
We never really die.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: I, Cosh on 16 January, 2017, 12:35:13 AMI took it that Bale Organa's parting line is a major revelation for future installments but maybe it's just something I've missed by not reading the Poe Dameron comic?

The Leia reference?

[spoiler]Mon: Despite what the others say, war is inevitable.

Bail: Yes I agree, I must return to Alderaan to inform my people that there will be no peace. We will need every advantage.

Mon: Your friend, the Jedi.

Bail: He served me well during the clone wars, he has lived in hiding since the Emperor's purge, yes, I will send for him.

Mon: You're gonna need someone you can trust.

Bail: I would trust her with my life.
[/spoiler]

I, Cosh

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 16 January, 2017, 01:14:55 AM
Quote from: I, Cosh on 16 January, 2017, 12:35:13 AMI took it that Bale Organa's parting line is a major revelation for future installments but maybe it's just something I've missed by not reading the Poe Dameron comic?
The Leia reference?
Ah. I have somehow misinterpreted this as "her" being the Jedi and, therefore, a new character.

As an aside, my girlfriend said afterwards that being made out of computers made Tarkin look "too evil." I suggested that Peter Cushing had been a singularly evil man when he was real but she wasn't having it, concluding with the inarguable assertion that "at least he had human eyes."
We never really die.

SIP

Disney just need to put out a new special special edition of bree hope with added cgi evil eyes to tarkin. Sorted.

Professor Bear

I have to agree with the people saying that CGI Tarkin looked fake compared to the one in the originals.  I don't know why they didn't just use a puppet again.

Mardroid

Quote from: Professor Bear on 16 January, 2017, 04:01:20 PM
I have to agree with the people saying that CGI Tarkin looked fake compared to the one in the originals.  I don't know why they didn't just use a puppet again.

I, Cosh

Quote from: I, Cosh on 16 January, 2017, 12:35:13 AM
The blatant parallels between the initial rebel ambush and similar attacks on occupying forces in desert countries of the real world was unexpectedly ballsy for a Star Wars film as was the brief exploration of different levels of commitment vs fanaticism.
On reflection, I should add that (like Tordelback) I'm not convinced this is what future generations really need from a Star Wars film but it's definitely one of the things which has stuck in my mind about the film.

Sub-nerd question. When does Anakin actually give in to the dark side? Is it when he kills the younglings or when he butchers the sanndpeople. The latter for me.
We never really die.

Krakajac

"When does Anakin actually give in to the dark side?"

Sub-nerd answer...:)

I'd say during the confrontation between Mace Windu and Palpatine.  Just prior to that, Anakin had advised Windu that the Chancellor was a bad apple - so he might still have been salvageable up to that point.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Krakajac on 17 January, 2017, 09:19:39 AM
I'd say during the confrontation between Mace Windu and Palpatine.  Just prior to that, Anakin had advised Windu that the Chancellor was a bad apple - so he might still have been salvageable up to that point.
Surely he gives in to his anger (like what Yoda predicted) in AotC and it's all inevitable from there.
We never really die.

sheldipez

He's always had a mean streak but I'd agree that the turning point was with the Tusken Raiders, it was a slippery slope from there with things like killing Dooku until he finally was christened Darth, before then I'd say he was with the darkside and the name was merely a formality. It always bothered me when Padme has a line of dialogue in  Sith where she says something like "I don't know who you are/ What you've become" as when he tells her about slaughtering a mass of Tusken Raiders she just says something like everyone gets angry. Like slaughtering Sand children was fine but Jedi children was a step too far. Shocker your husband is a killer.

TordelBack

I'd always hoped that Palps was in some way behind the Sandpeople's inexplicable treatment of Shmi.  I mean, what was all that about? The problem with seeing Ani actually falling to the Dark Side at that point is that everything we see afterwards in the two Clone Wars series must depict a man already lost, rather than a boy still struggling with his demons. I like and understand cartoon Anakin in a way I could never grok live-action Anakin.

As to the Jedha ambush, as I probably already droned on about somewhere upthread, Saw is just repeating the ambush tactics we see taught to him by Anakin, Ahsoka and Rex on Onderon, which even if not intentional adds a marvelous layer to the allusion.

Speculating on some of the cuter Episode VIII rumours (POSSIBLE MAJOR SPOILER[spoiler]intelligent puffin natives on Ach'too[/spoiler]) with the Boy during our morning run yesterday, I was struck afresh by the fear that this Mature Readers! take on SW is all that the 'fans' will accept from now on. Which, fun as Rogue One is, would be awful.

Hawkmumbler

As far as Tarkin's inclusion, or indeed exclusion, from Rogue One could be concerned, there where only really three options.

1) Leave him out completely. This would no doubt annoy fans, including myself, if for no other reason other than he's fairly integral to A New Hope. And this being the immediate precursor to ANH he's kind of required.

2) Bring back Wayne Pygram to reprise his role cameo from Episode III. The only problem with this is though he might look the part...from a three quarter length shot...for a few seconds...I'm not convinced he could have pulled off the kinda of scenes Tarkin had in RO.

3) The CGI, which IMHO was the best course of action. This kind thing is of course a slippery slope, but as I said before I was chuffed with the execution and so long as it doesn't become a regular occurrence i'm happy with this irregular method used for such an irregular movie.

CalHab

Quote from: TordelBack on 17 January, 2017, 10:21:23 AM
Speculating on some of the cuter Episode VIII rumours (POSSIBLE MAJOR SPOILER[spoiler]intelligent puffin natives on Ach'too[/spoiler]) with the Boy during our morning run yesterday, I was struck afresh by the fear that this Mature Readers! take on SW is all that the 'fans' will accept from now on. Which, fun as Rogue One is, would be awful.

I totally agree. I watched Rogue One with my nephew and, while he enjoyed it, it's certainly not a child-friendly film. I worry that the internet has made the opinion of moody teenage boys too powerful. Not everything has to be "dark" or knowing. Sometimes things can just be fun. Of course 2000AD has struggled with this historically as well.