Main Menu

Prog 2150 - You want Thrills, Earthlets?

Started by Leigh S, 23 September, 2019, 08:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomwe

With the majority of the prog excellent, the new art on Defoe has my squirming and not in a good way. The use of blurs really is a turn off for me. The last page is much better for the simpler approach. Overall it reminds me of the arrival of Simon Harrison to SD. I expect some will be big fans, not least Uncle Pat himself who often works with artists who use digital effects in their linework. Hopefully it will settle in as the run goes on. Sorry.

McNulty

Don't apologise, your views are as valid as the next person's.

Dredd: Very sad farewell. [spoiler]I wonder when the Judges will learn that the so called alien pathogen was actually down to Judge Fear?[/spoiler] Strange that her last request was to put down a robot revolution in a foreign country.

Sin/Dex: [spoiler]I am of the opinion that the sentient AI downloaded herself onto Ray's headcase in an act of self preservation.[/spoiler] We'll see how that plays out.

Future Shock: The ending was confusing and it didn't make sense.

Anderson: The art style wasn't for me in this one - I found some of the faces elongated. The story was fine though.

Hope has been away for a while now, so it'll probably take me a few weeks to get back into it. It's starting well.

I am afraid I didn't like the art in Defoe at all. It was hard to make out what was going on. The white handwriting script was almost impossible to read and the artwork and I didn't like the character designs. For such and exposition heavy opening episode I was completely lost by the end.

Brink: I skipped it. I've never warmed to the art or the story and I can't see anything in this episode to make me change my mind. I know 2000AD is an anthology publication and Brink does have its fans. I am not one of them.

In conclusion: Dredd was the best one for a long time. Sin/Dex and Hope were good, Anderson was okay, the rest were not for me.

Richard

QuoteFuture Shock: The ending was confusing and it didn't make sense.

The robots were released from their programming by the virus the protagonist used to get them to turn against the tyrant. The robots then turned against all the other humans too. They were the real slaves.

TordelBack

I thought the art in Defoe was really nice, apart from the aforementioned blurs mucking up certain panels. Let me see your art man, it's good! I feel the same way about Langley's B&W, loads of lovely linework and then fade and blur...  it's the comic art equivalent of botox and life-fillers: artists, you're beautiful just the way you are!

Delightful to see Will Simpson on a neat little Future Shock too.

TordelBack

broodblik

In general I liked the art on Defoe I had a bigger issues with the lettering on the first page (thank goodness for the zoooom capability)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: TordelBack on 27 September, 2019, 11:45:19 AM
I thought the art in Defoe was really nice, apart from the aforementioned blurs mucking up certain panels. Let me see your art man, it's good! I feel the same way about Langley's B&W, loads of lovely linework and then fade and blur...  it's the comic art equivalent of botox and life-fillers: artists, you're beautiful just the way you are!

Agreed. All the heroes of high-detail pen-and-ink - Fabry, Bolland, McMahon, O'Neil, Belardenelli, Hicklenton etc - did just fine without photoshop.  For my money, some of Langley's best work was on his first Sláine, the Robin Hood one.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

DrJomster

I'm really liking the current run of Sin Dex. There's something about the pacing of script and framing of the panels that's really working for me. I'm intrigued to see where this goes next.

Hats off to Brink and Hope too.

Good prog that. Wasn't 100% sure about the cover though tbh.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Dandontdare

Cover - awful, truly awful

Dredd - no disrespect to Mssrs Carroll, Williams et al, but when Wagner takes the helm it just feels more weighty somehow. I like to think that was Dredd's helmet on the bed (why would hers be there?) - there's not many people he'd take it off for. I had a real lump in the throat,it was beautifully written. I'm liking the speculation about PJ being el Presidente, but I think the dark judges connection is tenuous. However it plays out, I know with certainty it will be awesome

Hope The last series didn't really grab me, but I'm intrigued by this opener - makes me want to read on

Brink -glad to have this excellent strip back - are we moving on to new protagonist, or will we see Kurtis again?

Future shock - nice, enjoyed the twist

Anderson - I would prefer a million snappy, throwaway Anderson strips like this than the ponderous mess we've been subjected to lately - Cass is at her best when wrong-footing perps with her psi powers, and quipping as she does.

Defoe - this has never been a fave of mine. I like the space angle, but I couldn't read most of the text on page 1 so was a little confused

Sinister Dexter
QuoteSin Dex is not even remotely an accessible New reader story but I love it so there.
Don't really get this - little happens, but all the main characters get together to recap to each other 'What Happened So Far' - is that not the definition of jumping on episode?

Deadworld - I have loved this from the start and nothing has changed - we've see the horror sweep pseudo-MC1, now we're seeing how it went global. Masterful

A fantastic prog overall, I'm a happy squaxx over current thrillpower levels.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Dandontdare on 27 September, 2019, 11:07:46 PMall the main characters get together to recap to each other 'What Happened So Far' - is that not the definition of jumping on episode?
But it's not back next week. So we get an epilogue that's also a set-up, but then a gap. Bit weird, to my mind. I'd have more happily seen this run last week, or before whenever the next Sin/Dex happens.

DrRocka

Never ever bloody anything ever

M.I.K.

The text from page one of Defoe, mostly copied and pasted from online editions of the genuine 17th century works of John Wilkins, (some of the spelling varies)...

Quote from: John WilkinsTime will come, when the indeavors of after ages, shall bring such things to light as now lie hid in obscuritie.

As wee now wonder at the blindnesse of our Ancestors, who were not able to discerne such things, as seeme plaine and obvious unto us; so will our posterity, admire our ignorance in as perspicuous matters.

Thus I believe there may be some meanes invented for a conveyance to the Moone, and though it may seeme a terrible and impossible thing ever to passe through the aire, yet no question there would be some men who durst venture this.

Yet I do seriously and on good grounds affirm it possible to make a flying chariot in which a man may sit and give such a motion unto it as shall convey him through the air. And this perhaps might be made large enough to carry diverse men at the same time, together with food for their viaticum and commodities for traffic.

Its engine may be contrived from the same principles by which Archytas made a steam-powered dove, and Regiomontanus a mechanical eagle.

Tis probable there may be inhabitants on the Moone, but of what kinde they are is uncertaine. I dare not myself affirm anything of these Selenites.

...and on the second page...

QuotePosterity however might invent some means for our better aquaintance with these inhabitants.

Jacqusie

Quote from: Dandontdare on 27 September, 2019, 11:07:46 PM

Dredd - no disrespect to Mssrs Carroll, Williams et al, but when Wagner takes the helm it just feels more weighty somehow.

Wagner does indeed has the gravitas that makes him the Godfather when it comes to Dredd, no one pens the words or thoughts of Joe so well alongside those rather poignant and game changing moments.

Saying that I do think that Rob Williams is the sucessor in his delivery and scripting from the School of Wagnarian meaning, depth and weight and I hope he's kept on Dredd for a good while yet.

Anytime Wagner's stories are drawn by Colin McNeil means we are in for a treat and although Wagner's Dredd's are rarer and becoming more like events these days, they are appreciated all the more for this...

JayzusB.Christ

Anyone remember Hershey sitting on Dredd's med bay bed when he got[spoiler] shot up [/spoiler]after Oz?  Who would have thought then that he'd be doing the same thing for her years later, as she [spoiler]lay dying?[/spoiler]
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Fungus

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 25 September, 2019, 06:58:08 AM
Sinister Dexter introdcues the story's just finished plot lines setting up new readers for... well the series return. Its a quiet interesting story, but a slightly low octane one for a launch Prog.

Quote from: Proudhuff on 25 September, 2019, 03:39:05 PM
Sinister Dexter. Its a quiet interesting story, but a slightly low octane one for a launch Prog.

Thirded  :P

Decent jump-on, and I quite like the noticeable spread of opinion. Which makes my own mumblings feel less grumpy...

Cover is icky, Dredd is wonderful. Wagner actually gets even better over time, and MacNeil's helmet-work is perfectly done (hats off to Blythe's great colouring too).

Hope and Brink continue to be favourites, and look so different but deliver on their respective art so well. Broxton is a true find.

I find the other strips confused, muddy or on the juvenile side so not a strong prog overall. Cover aside, it starts so strongly and seems to drop off as the prog continues.