Main Menu

Best One Off Series

Started by Alski, 19 August, 2010, 11:56:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin Zeal

I read The Dead and Metalzoic for the first time recently. Didn't think too much of the former, while the latter just left me utterly confused as to what the hell was going on.

W. R. Logan

TordelBack

Staz Johnson

Quote from: Cushing1967 on 25 August, 2010, 03:36:43 PM
Leviathan, Necronauts (I'm still haunted by the last few panels), Meltdown Man and I always really liked a story about a guy with square scars on his face in a post apocalyptic city that turned out to be a spaceship?

Bad City Blue?

Is that real or am I imagining it?

I think you got that right. It was drawn by former 2000AD art editor droid, Robin Smith.

Staz Johnson

I would also place my vote for 'Meltdown Man', that was the first time I'd really taken the time to look at Bellardineli's art... & I realised how phenomenal it was.

That said however... when the 'Planet Of The Apes' twist was revealed, it came as a huge disappointment to me, & lacking in imagination on the writer's part.

I'd also like to make a mention of 'Summer Magic'.. which may be ineligible, since somewhere in the mists of my memory, I seem to remember a sequel, which would make the original not a one off series.... but I could be wrong about the follow up.

The Corinthian

Summer Magic was the first Luke Kirby serial, though I think the overall title wasn't introduced until later stories.

JOE SOAP

So when to we get "the Dead" in a collection, either stuck to the back of the Meg or on a shelf in some snobby shop?

Belardinelli's finest hour FFS.

Greg M.

Quote from: Garageman on 26 August, 2010, 06:17:46 PM
So when to we get "the Dead" in a collection, either stuck to the back of the Meg or on a shelf in some snobby shop?

Belardinelli's finest hour FFS.

Seconded. And a rather fine scripting job by the great god Milligan too.

Darren Stephens

Quote from: Staz Johnson on 26 August, 2010, 02:34:41 PM

That said however... when the 'Planet Of The Apes' twist was revealed, it came as a huge disappointment to me, & lacking in imagination on the writer's part.

Ummm, I have yet to read Meltdown Man. I hope thats not a thrill sapping spoiler there, Mr Johnson!  :P
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Staz Johnson on 26 August, 2010, 02:34:41 PM
I would also place my vote for 'Meltdown Man', that was the first time I'd really taken the time to look at Bellardineli's art... & I realised how phenomenal it was.

And another vote.

Theres a lot of elements or the whole social/political commentary in the strip is just as relevent now as it was when it was written when it was addressing Apartheid.It might not be relevent in relation to Apartheid but the slavery aspect is totally relevant to what is going on today.

We are all Yujees living in a world wide plantation with the Humans being the Plantation owners/ Slave owners.

The Plantation owners being the various banking/industrial/political elites lording it over the Yujees under a Fascist system that is totally exploitative and ruthless.The vast majority of Yujees/People go along with it all apart from a minority of resistance until "the One" - Nick Stone appears......

Theres so much content in this strip i comment on but i will save it for now but the story struck a chord then and it still does.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

staticgirl

Wouldn't it be great if a great big phonebook sized edition came out with these stories all in them? The mammoth book of 2000AD one-shots or summat....

(Firekind and Cradlegrave for me.)

flintlockjaw

A 'case Files' type volume collections a few of these together would be great...Ant Wars, Shako, Visible Man, Angel etc

Also, I'd love to see a 'Case Files' of all the one-offs - Future Shocks etc

Greg M.

I was thinking they could do collections of these stories by era or author - I'd love to have, say, a 'Best of Pete Milligan', covering Tribal Memories, The Dead, Freaks and Shadows, for instance, or a 'Best of John Smith' with Firekind, Slaughterbowl and so on.

I, Cosh

Firekind.
Leviathan.
Cradlegrave.
The Dead.
Bonjo from Beyond the Stars.

Sooner or Later was great, but had a sequel. Rain Dogs (which I liked a lot) and Dead Signal (which I didn't) are interesting choices in that both were clearly set up for further instalments which never arrived rather than being truly one-off series in the way that, say, From Grace or Shadows were.
We never really die.

The Corinthian

Ideally (and lawsuits permitting) we should eventually have everything from Tooth compiled in one form or other, though it does raise the dreadful prospect of 'Junker: The Michael Fleisher Collection' at some point.