Main Menu

Does my Art look big in this?

Started by staticgirl, 10 February, 2010, 02:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noisybast

I done coloured this in:

To reiterate, I didn't actually draw it. The line art is by Shane Heron (see MarcusNinja's Commission thread), and I nicked the background image from a guy named knotlikeyou2 on DeviantArt. Both very nice pieces in their own right, in my opinion.

I'm still at least some kind of minor deity of colouring things in, though...

Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Woolly

Thats a nice, bold colour job. Not a bad Dredd too.
My only advice would to have a little less shadow on Dredd's chin, looks a bit like a goaty!  :)

IAMTHESYSTEM

You had the vision to put it all together Noisybast and it looks very good. These three seperate elements look like they belong together despite being done by different artists.  

If you want Dredd to blend slightly more with the background the old Matte Painter trick was to take the colour in the background and mix it with the colours in the forground. You could lightly dust with the blue/green colour the back of Dredd's helmet, shoulder pad, Eagle, arm etc but only if you want this effect.  

If you want Dredd standing boldly in the foreground then you've done enough. You could try putting a Nightstick or gun in his hands but if colourings you're thing then say Nyet [no in Russian] to that suggestion. :)
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

uncle fester

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 31 July, 2010, 07:53:24 PM
If you want Dredd to blend slightly more with the background the old Matte Painter trick was to take the colour in the background and mix it with the colours in the forground. You could lightly dust with the blue/green colour the back of Dredd's helmet, shoulder pad, Eagle, arm etc but only if you want this effect.  

This sounds interesting, System. Could you elaborate? I've never heard of this technique.

Ta muchly :)

Danbo

Quick Sunday morning Dredd,might colour it later if i can suss out photoshop.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

Zarjazzer

The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Danbo

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Quote from: uncle fester on 31 July, 2010, 08:09:50 PM

This sounds interesting, System. Could you elaborate? I've never heard of this technique.

Ta muchly :)

As you can see I've gently painted some of the background colour the blue/green grey into Dredd's visor, shoulder Pad etc and elimanated the black, horizontal box lifting Dredd fully into the foreground.

This is a fairly common technique often used by Painters. It's not just used by Matte Painters who often use the colour of the sky to fade off the background elements. This is called atmospheric perspective objects in the distance tend to get bluer and greyer and have less contrast.

So if you want to add a little subtlety to your comic strip colouring then add a little halo of the background colour. We're helped here by the fact the blue/grey background contrast well with the yellow orange of the Shoulder pad and Red of Dredd's Helmet. Yellow/ orange/red tend to work well with blue/ green which is their complimentary colour opposite.

Hope this helps somewhat Uncle Fester. :geek:

The work here is for illustration purposes only and the Authors of the work retain their full creative rights. So sayeth the Law!
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Noisybast

Neat trick, IATS. I'll hang onto that one!
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

CrazyFoxMachine

Cheers for the comments - I WISH I WAS DOING SOMETHING WITH THE HOOF. They're quite fabulous - playing The Big Chill this coming weekend do check them out if you are there.

Love the Dredd colours - BOTH OF THEM

staticgirl

My cousin's little lads always like me to draw them things when I go to see them. Josh (8) wants to be a SCIENTIST but isn't sure what kind. He has started a Field Notes book for his nature explorations and I illustrated the covers...

Red Kite

A Rabbit. Not a Hare.

uncle fester

Very nice indeedy, Staticgirl. Nice tones. (What is the difference between a rabbit and a hare anyway?)

And cheers for the explanation, System!

Professor Bear

Quote from: uncle fester on 06 August, 2010, 01:37:28 PM(What is the difference between a rabbit and a hare anyway?)

Rabbits don't grow on your fanny.

CrazyFoxMachine

Darren Stephens

Nice pics Staticgirl.  ;) (makes a change from zombies and robots!)
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^