Main Menu

Wonder Woman 2017

Started by Apestrife, 03 November, 2016, 08:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

positronic

I didn't see Batman vs. Superman. After seeing the trailer, it seemed ill-advised. Nothing I read or heard about it afterward changed my mind.

SIP

Can't comment on something if you haven't seen it!

positronic

I don't really see a lot of comic book movies. I think the last one I saw before Wonder Woman was Deadpool (which I liked).

Apestrife

Was carefully optimistic when going to the theatre. Thought the ww1 wouldn't fit tonally. But it did. I think the whole movie delivered. Good mix between Casablanca, Batman Begins and Indiana Jones. Loved it :)

Jim_Campbell

Despite a noisy and slightly muddled final act, Wonder Woman is pretty great. Liberated from the Snyder template of grim, Rand-ian superheroics, Jenkins' film gives us a story about strength with compassion, about doing the right thing because it's the right thing to do. Gadot positively shines and brings both genuine warmth and steely determination, whilst Pine lends excellent support.

Well worth a couple of hours of your time.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

SIP

Produced and Story co-written by Zack Snyder I should point out.

Just back from seeing this and it was great!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: SIP on 06 June, 2017, 08:18:28 PM
Produced and Story co-written by Zack Snyder I should point out.

Well, somewhere in its progress to the screen someone, maybe even Snyder himself for all I know, decided that this wasn't going to be that kind of movie. If it was Snyder, fair play.

JayzusB.Christ

I think I'll go and see it.  I really don't care much for the Marvel films (never really followed the source material i suppose) and I was about as impressed with the Snyder DC films as most people were, but this sounds like a return to the form of Nolan-Batman.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

SIP

It's certainly nothing like the tone of the Nolan Batman films. I think if you after more of that then you won't find it in Wonder Woman.

It certainly has serious themes throughout, but the actual script and dialogue is actually more light hearted. Trying to think of a similar style of film but cant quite find a good example. Maybe more in the tone of something like Raiders of the lost Ark? Bad Nazis, people dying.....but light, humorous dialogue.

SIP

On reflection, it does have a Marvel-esque feel to it really, just not quite as wise cracking jokey as some of those films.

Supreme Pizza Of The DPRK

Quote from: SIP on 06 June, 2017, 09:33:29 PM
Maybe more in the tone of something like Raiders of the lost Ark? Bad Nazis, people dying.....but light, humorous dialogue.

Weren't all the Nazis bad? (Mitchell and Webb did come to mind when I read your post)

Seeing this on the weekend weather permitting. Glad to see people are actually going to see this, I was starting to think it could be another Ghostbusters...

SIP

Quote from: Supreme Pizza Of The DPRK on 06 June, 2017, 09:52:07 PM
Maybe more in the tone of something like Raiders of the lost Ark? Bad Nazis, people dying.....but light, humorous dialogue.

Weren't all the Nazis bad? (Mitchell and Webb did come to mind when I read your post)

Seeing this on the weekend weather permitting. Glad to see people are actually going to see this, I was starting to think it could be another Ghostbusters...

Good point. Not many decent Nazis knocking about.

Jim_Campbell

Bad Nazis

Bad Germans. There are no Nazis in this movie.

Best direct comparison is probably a gender-flipped Captain America: The First Avenger. Gadot is definitely the DC movie universe's Chris Evans, just absolutely embodying clear-eyed heroic decency and a fierce moral centre.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 06 June, 2017, 10:29:27 PMGadot is definitely the DC movie universe's Chris Evans, just absolutely embodying clear-eyed heroic decency and a fierce moral centre.

Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman.
Now the world is ready for you,
and the wonders you can do.

Make a hawk a dove,
Stop a war with love,
Make a liar tell the truth.

SIP

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 06 June, 2017, 10:29:27 PM
Bad Nazis

Bad Germans. There are no Nazis in this movie.

Best direct comparison is probably a gender-flipped Captain America: The First Avenger. Gadot is definitely the DC movie universe's Chris Evans, just absolutely embodying clear-eyed heroic decency and a fierce moral centre.

No, no Nazis in Wonder Woman, I was referring to Raiders.

Excellent comparison with the first Captain America, that's spot on. It's very much in the same tone and approach as that film.