Main Menu

Website subscription vs app subscription

Started by FredH, 11 February, 2019, 07:13:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FredH

Hi there—

On shop.2000ad.com, a monthly digital sub for 2000AD appears to be 7.99US, but on the iPad 2000AD app it's 9.99US.  Just wondering if there's a reason for the difference?  Thanks.

IndigoPrime

Apple takes 20%, so Rebellion offers cheaper pricing if you go direct. To counter this somewhat, the app gives you back issues: subscribe for a month and you get a month of issues for free. Note that as far as I'm aware, however you subscribe, Rebellion offers alternate means of reading your Prog. So subscribe in-app, and you can use your Rebellion ID to sign into the website and grab DRM-free copies to read in an app of your choosing (be that Chunky on iPad, Simple Comic on a Mac, or whatever).

Molch-R

The main reason for the difference is that you can only use Apple's set of price tiers for products and the nearest one available for that product is £9.99. But also, yes, Apple take a big cut.

FredH

Makes sense.  I'm finding, though, that when I try to enter my Visa debit card as a payment method — just on the site, not tied to an order yet — the system doesn't seem to accept it; I get a message about it being declined, although there are certainly funds on it.  (That's happened before, though when I order items via the app using the same source, there doesn't seem to be an issue.)

Molch-R

If you're having trouble with the shop, please drop a line to shop@2000adonline.com and customer service droid Ka-TEE will be more than happy to help.

2000ADWebDroid

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 11 February, 2019, 09:41:03 AM
Apple takes 20%, so Rebellion offers cheaper pricing if you go direct. To counter this somewhat, the app gives you back issues: subscribe for a month and you get a month of issues for free. Note that as far as I'm aware, however you subscribe, Rebellion offers alternate means of reading your Prog. So subscribe in-app, and you can use your Rebellion ID to sign into the website and grab DRM-free copies to read in an app of your choosing (be that Chunky on iPad, Simple Comic on a Mac, or whatever).

Hi - that's not entirely true, first time digital subscribers who purchase via the 2000 AD web shop also give you the same amount of free back issues as the apps i.e.

Monthly Subs - one free month of back issues
Quarterly subs - two free months of back issues
Yearly subs - three free months of back issues

It doesn't matter where you first purchase a digital subscription, you still get the same amount of free back issues.

Also, as far as I know, Apple actually take a 30% cut of all in-app sales (as do Google), not 20%. Direct sales via the 2000 AD web shop ensure that more of your money goes direct to Rebellion, helping to fund additional Thrill Power.

"Rebellion offers alternate means of reading your Prog. So subscribe in-app, and you can use your Rebellion ID to sign into the website and grab DRM-free copies to read in an app of your choosing"

This is correct, but it also works the other way around - any digital purchases made via the 2000 AD web shop (including issues granted via digital subscription purchases through the web shop) can also be downloaded and read via the 2000 AD mobile apps, if you log in with the same Rebellion ID on both

IndigoPrime

I apparently fail on details. I hereby hand in my "knowing stuff" badge, while idly scraping the dirt with a foot, and looking sheepish. I had no idea about the digital Progs thing. Very interesting. I did know about the Rebellion ID, mind, because I wrote about it at the time for a couple of UK outlets!

One thing I really wish Rebellion would consider, though, is digital backups. I know it's been mentioned previously that it's not a priority, but I'd love to have my paper combi sub backed by a digital locker. (Kind of like the Wireframe model, although obviously not 'open'.)