Main Menu

Day of Chaos 2: a.Covid-19 thread.

Started by TordelBack, 05 March, 2020, 08:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Folks just landed; back from Spain. Originally scheduled to come back in two weeks, but weren't keen on being stuck. They've – fortunately – been in one of the least-affected areas, but it's now in full lockdown. (The Spanish aren't fucking around – looking at closing roads/banning intercity travel/etc.)

I'm not thrilled at them having gone through two airports and flown, but it seemed the lesser of two evils. Here's hoping the right decision was made...

TordelBack

Nerve-wracking to say the least IP but at least they are close by now. Fingers crossed for ye.

As for you DDD, there are surely worse fates than being marooned in the Canaries!

Dandontdare

Leigh S

Wife is back from the shops which are half empty now - God knows what panic would set in if they shut the schools - A google search of "Why are the English so" comes up with "angry" and "entitled"  - sounds about right.

Funt Solo

Quote from: TordelBack on 14 March, 2020, 01:38:52 AM
Sorry for the double post, but if you haven't read this article you must, and then share it.

This is the one that, like the Terminator, lays it all down: hidden cases, judgement day, the history of things to come. Be like Miles Dyson: take it pretty well, but listen.

Thanks for sharing that article. It moved me to start a couple of campaigns of social distancing with the older chunk of my family. And, my (US) school is canceling classes from Tuesday, so I'm emailing all my students and suggesting strongly that they needn't attend on Monday either. Like the article says: one day can make a big difference.

Fuck: I've cried three times in the last 24 hours. I usually only cry at The Waltons.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Really hope your folks are OK,  IP.

I'm in my local, really loving the normalcy of it all. They may all be closing soon so I'll enjoy it while I can.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

Quote from: Funt Solo on 14 March, 2020, 09:12:25 PM
Fuck: I've cried three times in the last 24 hours. I usually only cry at The Waltons.

I'm finding it unbearable, to be honest. I've been digging into the actual progression and likely long-term conseqiences of the illness itself and it's way, way worse than I understood. This is one of those moments of complete transformation for our world.

Pubs jammed to the rafters, parents letting their kids roam around in packs, sick people forced to come into work... we aren't capable of being responsible or flexible, the patterns of our lives seem like railway tracks to us, when we need to strike off crosscountry.

I'm minutes away from putting my head in the sand.

judgeurko

Not sure what to do. I have relatives in their 60s about 200 miles away was planning to visit?

Dandontdare

Ah bollox- just heard that Lanzarote will be locked down from midnight- 12 hours after our flight home.

JayzusB.Christ

Just got off the phone to my dad. I was pleasantly surprised to hear that he and my mam are taking this seriously: staying at home, washing hands, limiting social contact etc.
He was due to come up and see me tomorrow, but I put him off. A colleague of mine is due to get tested ASAP so I'm waiting to see if I have symptoms or not before coming into contact with him.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

IAMTHESYSTEM

Is the bulk-buying a form of survival strategy? By limiting your exposure to a possibly toxic environment, you eliminate some of the risks involved, and shopping is where humans gather together to buy items. By scaling down your purchasing activity, or buying more at one visit, you help reduce any threat of infection to yourself, ensuring you continue to work and support your offspring or dependents. Our local big Tesco Superstore was heaving this morning; long queues, lots of piled up trolleys, and some bare rather than empty food aisles. It looks like this is going to be the way of things for the next couple of months, at least, so keep washing those hands, folks.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

IndigoPrime

Everything's gone fucking nuts. My recommendation to my parents was to shop online. Good luck with that. Even click and collect is no longer viable for three of the major supermarket chains – and I imagine we'll see a full house within 48h. Amazon, notably, now also out of key staples (and arseholes on marketplace are now aiming to fill that particular void).

Trooper McFad

These Doomsday preppers in the US (and other areas) will be grabbing their bug out bags and running to the hills singing " I told you so, I told you so" while the rest of us will just have to sit tight and hope for the best🤞🏻
Better start watching Bear Grylls on how to catch & skin rabbits & squirrels 😳
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Aaron A Aardvark

So I can wipe my arse on a squirrel when the toilet paper runs out?