Main Menu

Day of Chaos 2: a.Covid-19 thread.

Started by TordelBack, 05 March, 2020, 08:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Wells

Woah, just read this thread from the start and it was fascinating to see it go through the gamete of emotions and approaches from lighthearted and/or sceptical, to realisation, to alarm, frustration, fear and anger, acceptance and everything in between. A journey I think we have all been on.

It's very hard not to be political with this, in my eyes Johnson has been shambolic with fundamental mistakes made early on, despite the very real evidence from elsewhere. I can't even bring myself to write about Dominic Cummings, I swear that man is a psychopath. I've seen a few social media posts from people who I thought were intelligent praising Johnson's performance and I just can't believe it!

My biggest irk as been the lack of clarity for schools. Those who know me will know I am a very passionate special needs teacher. The government's handling of schools (particularly special schools) has been nothing short of atrocious. Saying all schools will be open for children with EHCP plans is beyond insane. For those who don't know, the H in EHCP stands for 'Health', so I've personally seen confused parents (many of whom have learning difficulties themselves) sending children who are very poorly, highly at risk with Health needs, to school because the government is telling them too. It took a LONG time for Johnson and Williamson to be more explicit that, where possible, children should stay at home. Several parents in my setting are STILL ignoring this advice however.

At the end of this crisis, I wonder just how much blood jolly, cuddly, bumbling Bojo with have on his fat, incompetent hands?

Robin Low

Steve Green

auxlen

It's all politics/conspiracy theories until someone you know dies...and in my case, it's a colleague 50 (no underlying health conditions), and an uncle 45 (high blood pressure).

von Boom

Very sorry to hear that auxlen. Condolences.

Rately

Quote from: auxlen on 28 March, 2020, 06:32:33 PM
It's all politics/conspiracy theories until someone you know dies...and in my case, it's a colleague 50 (no underlying health conditions), and an uncle 45 (high blood pressure).

Condolences, Auxlen.

Steve Green

paddykafka

Very sorry to hear of your losses, Auxlen. My sincere condolences to you.

shaolin_monkey

I'm so sorry to hear that.

sheridan

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 28 March, 2020, 11:28:17 AM
This is 30 mins walk from my front door. A dose of reality I could really do without.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-union/news-comment/coronavirus-nhs-field-hospital-principality-stadium-beds-welsh-rugby-a9431236.html

I know the feeling.  When I left the office the other day, for the last time before starting home working, the following had been put up and the generators were about to cool it down for use as a temporary mortuary to double the capacity of Westminster Coroner's Court.

sheridan

My condolences.

shaolin_monkey

I'm starting to see many CORVID19 death announcements on my Twitter feed too. They're not all elderly folk either. The youngest I have seen so far was 35 year old. They are a mixture of folk from the U.K. and US.

IAMTHESYSTEM

How's you're queue time at the shops? Thirty-five minutes this morning to get into the big local Supermarket. Both the floors inside the building and outside have marked lines six-feet in width. When you're inside, you can move about okay, but it is weird for me buying a whole weeks worth of food at one go. The aisles seem well-stocked, and over the tannoy, the woman announced they had a 'Store Marshall' doing the rounds,  which felt very Judge Dredd and Mega-City One. As Zarjazzer worryingly pointed out to me when I'd hefted the five bags of shopping home; 'January, Fire, February, Flood. March we have pestilence.' so as you can imagine we're somewhat concerned about what April has in store!     
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

shaolin_monkey

I've not been - my partner has been to a Tesco once for fresh fruit and veg (our Brexit stockpile has all else covered), and said she wants to avoid going again if she can possibly help it.

What you describe above was very similar to her experience, but also she saw big signs on the doors saying 'Anyone abusing our staff will not be served and will be removed from the store immediately'. So the mood there was tense, as clearly shit had already gone down in a noteable way.

She's actually a 'key worker' in all of this. As an Ops for a mental health charity in Wales she's been working incredibly hard procuring beds for the NHS. These have come from wards run by the charity normally taken by mental health patients, from ligature-free buildings and suchlike. She's been on Zoom calls with NHS managers day and night this last week or more. It's been tough for her.

She's also prepping for call-up to support the NHS at the frontline. I'm so incredibly proud of her, but I'm so scared for her also.

I'm 'high risk' due to my asthma, so when she goes I won't see her until it's over.

TordelBack

Sorry for the loss of your uncle and your colleague, Auxlen.