Main Menu

Day of Chaos 2: a.Covid-19 thread.

Started by TordelBack, 05 March, 2020, 08:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

Quote from: paddykafka on 03 April, 2020, 06:50:31 PM
... I have demonstrated great empathy towards some of my fellow boarders who have written of their own mental-health problems. And I will continue to do so. But when someone starts to use those issues - whatever they may be - as an excuse to run roughshod over everyone else around them, and make other people's lives an absolute misery in the process, then that is where I draw the line.

Fair point, I think though that possibly a degree of compassion may be in order?  Not justifying such behaviour for an instance but here is the question, and once again the thread morphs:

- at what point do we 'give up' on someone who struggles with the psychological impact of their lives?

I'm not asking this in the abstract, this is a real question to me.  I live with the impact of trauma and the BPD(EU) that I have been diagnosed with on a daily basis.  I fight with it.  The thing is though, for a long time I didn't understand it.

Through all the time that I did not understand it, my behaviour was vile.  I cringe when I rethink those moments in my life.  The last 5 or more years I have been working to evolve beyond the experiences that shaped them.  I'm still not perfect but I recognise far quicker when I need to step back.  Now though I have landed myself in a world of trouble through a moment's lapse.  Even before this Covid crap kicked into high gear it already looked like I was f****ed.

I'm not saying that my diagnosis / condition / experience is an excuse to run roughshod.  What I am saying though is that some people might see it that way.  They see only that single moment.  Am I a lost cause?  Should those around me give up on me.  Should I give up on me?

I know that the Christian Gospel is held in low regard round here.  Considering the attitude of some who profess to 'believe' it, that is entirely understandable.  But looking at one line from a purely philosophical point of view.  So Peter turns round to Jesus and says "is seven times enough to forgive", and you can almost hear the cogs turning, the old 'how great and compassionate am I' as he bigs himself up.  Then he gets the reply.  "Seven times?  Try seventy times seven."  You can almost hear the jaw drop.  How the hell am I going to keep track if I've got to forgive that many times?  Isn't that a fair point?  How many times do we want to forgive?  How many times should we?

I've lost count of the number of times over the years that I've learned something about people that explains there behaviour.  Not justifies, mind.  I don't know.  Is the next time we forgive someone the one that breaks the camels back?  Is it the one that does make the change permanent?  I'm not talking about accepting behaviour that is wrong, immoral or obscene.  Hell, I can think of a number of people who I could cheerfully see burn for their behaviour and actions forty odd years ago.  This is a major challenge to me so I get why anyone would have trouble here.

I don't know.  I don't have the answers.  Only so many questions.  Feel free to shoot me down, challenge me, give me more questions.  Feel free to judge me.  Just take care folks.

The Doctor Alt 8

I normally visit my friend Adrian once a week an cook him a meal, do any domestic chores because he can't ( or rather it's extremely difficult for him to do,) Do any shopping (Walking with two crutches mean he isn't able to move and quee )

Well because of the lockdown I have only been round once. I said that if he needs anything to call...I'm just concerned that I could be caught and fined. Although helping someone in his position is supposed to be allowable.

However I haven't seen any police patrolling... yet. Most people seem to be obeying the stay at home except shopping for food. other places are shut. Croydon is almost a ghost town..... This could kill the independent businesses not that there is many... There is a or rather was a V popular puzzle cafe. I hope it weathers this crisis.
At least the panic buying has died down but things are not completely normal supply wise ... things still missing from the shelves.  I think it's a distribution problem.

Old Tankie

Carry on helping your friend, you are obviously a caring person.  Caring is allowed.

TordelBack

Yeah, there are no circumstances where you will be fined for caring for a vulnerable or incapacitated person. From experiences in Ireland, if you're worried just bring a note with Adrian's name and address and tell any cop that that's where you're going, and why.

And good on you, Doc.

paddykafka

Kudo's to you, Doctor Alt 8. The world needs more good peeps like you in it. (And in case the cops give you grief, you can always adopt your Eldster disguise that you recently posted about, then slip back into your normal youthful persona to avoid detection.   ;) )

Stay safe and all the best.

Below are two links to brighten up my fellow Squaxx' days. The first is another timely, cartoon masterpiece by the inimitable Mr Turner.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/martyn-turner-1.4220229

And below, a great, good news story about an 82 year-old Irish War Veteran who has beaten the virus. I wish him many more happy and healthy years ahead.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/jadotville-picnic-compared-82-year-old-tom-gunn-surviving-coronavirus-995121

The Doctor Alt 8

Thanks folks.

I have to be somewhat careful as mother is at the highest risk... being 82 with COPD. My friend Henry is in the same position and was given advice via a letter from the health service. (Like keeping 3 feet away from other members of the household.. and keeping his cutlery and crockery separate from everyone else.)    It's worrying because his brother is a driving instructor... clearly he can't work now and apparently it could be 3 months before he gets anything from unemployment.  The pair don't seem to understand that they now have to save money... they are a pair of spendthrifts and this crisis isn't helping. (Neither is owning 3 spoilt rotten dogs.)  I know we all should treat our pets like royalty but there are limits...

von Boom

Good for you Dr.Alt8. Caring for the vulnerable is more important than ever.

Had an update from my mum about my uncle's bypass surgery. The surgeon saw him and said they can't wait. He's due to go in within the next two weeks. The biggest concern is going to be infection, but there's no way to avoid it. It would be a shame for the surgery to go well only to get the covid virus while trying to recover from bypass surgery.

paddykafka

Best wishes and fingers crossed for your Uncle, Von Boom.

von Boom

Cheers, paddy. I hope your own difficulties turn around.

The Doctor Alt 8

Tjm86

Quote from: sheridan on 05 April, 2020, 09:31:37 PM

(the man is Boris Johnson)

The agony here.  On the one hand, we are talking about Johnson.  On the other hand we are talking about a human being (albeit a Tory politician).  I'm going to go with a soupçon of sympathy.

Are we looking at the first national leader to join the 1% though?

sheridan

Quote from: Tjm86 on 05 April, 2020, 09:48:58 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 05 April, 2020, 09:31:37 PM

(the man is Boris Johnson)

The agony here.  On the one hand, we are talking about Johnson.  On the other hand we are talking about a human being (albeit a Tory politician).  I'm going to go with a soupçon of sympathy.

Are we looking at the first national leader to join the 1% though?

You say one percent, and the 'just as bad as the flu, stop making a fuss' brigade said two percent, but when I look at diagnosed cases and the current deaths in this country, it's more like nine (and that's only hospital deaths and without post mortems of those who died but weren't diagnosed while still alive).

Though this is all assuming he actually does have it and it isn't just a bluff - like when Trump's doctor allegedly said he was healthy.  Just as a reminder of the latter, a few quotes from that medical report:
"laboratory results are astonishingly excellent"
"will be the healthiest individual ever elected to the presidency"
"health is excellent, especially his mental health"

Oh, and a few months later the same doctor said the following, which was a massive surprise to everybody:
"Mr. Trump dictated the letter and I would tell him what he couldn't put in there..."

JOE SOAP

Quote from: sheridan on 05 April, 2020, 10:59:44 PM
when I look at diagnosed cases and the current deaths in this country, it's more like nine (and that's only hospital deaths and without post mortems of those who died but weren't diagnosed while still alive).

UK having done so little community testing and tracing so far means the official infected numbers recorded are way too low in comparison to deaths, and most likely far below actual number of infections. Still a high death rate, unfortunately.

Professor Bear

All politics aside, here's hoping the Prime Minister's illness is a short one.