Main Menu

Prog 2119 - Cops and Robos

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 16 February, 2019, 02:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout

Quote from: robert_ellis on 20 February, 2019, 06:35:29 PM
What off planet disease could be eating a certain person?
It's a puzzle! (6,7)

I wondered something similar. If not this, then something from the same world?

Magnetica

Don't think it can be [spoiler]Jigsaw Disease. [/spoiler] If it was she would have [spoiler]random pieces missing.[/spoiler]

Richard

norton canes

Can't say much more about Dredd than I said a couple of weeks ago - this is one of the best comic stories I've ever read, simple as.

(Did anyone else read the line-up of strips and do a double-take? I counted five and thought no surely it's six and then slowly realised... Brink wasn't there :) )

By coincidence the other three regular strips were a bit slow-burn, with more exposition than usual. Good reads though. The F-Shock was a bit too verbose and overly intricately plotted I thought, could have been stripped back a bit and might have been more effective as a result.

And the cover... as I do occasionally mention I'm not a massive fan of guest cover artists. I know it's great for upcoming droids to get some exposure and variety is fantastic and all that but I just find that nine out of ten guest-drawn covers don't really work. I mean this one is fine and I'm honestly not denigrating the efforts or abilities of Luke Preece (give him a strip, Tharg!) but I'm guessing he didn't get the correct reference material 'cause that's clearly nothing like a Judge droid on that bike. Sorry but I'd rather have seen a MacNeil cover complementing the story </rant>.

robert_ellis

I wasn't joking. Who knows what square shaped holes that giant chief judge shield's been hiding all these years? It would be just like Wagner to pick up a 40 year plot point!

Leigh S

Just read Origins, and I agree the public announcement aboout Fargo strikes as off, as they are quite clear that they are going to keep it their secret.  Maybe they had to come out with it but put some spin on it - like his body was returned, or something!

It was also interesting to see the interplay between Dredd and Hershey in the last page in light of this - anyone got a scan? The start of the falling out between them?

Richard

No, although they lied to each other they didn't fall out yet. Not long after that, she backed mutants' rights for him and lost her job over it when it backfired. Then Dredd didn't resign, even though he'd told her he would if he didn't get what he wanted. She was off planet for three years, during which she (prog 2119 spoiler) [spoiler]caught a fatal disease[/spoiler]. So no wonder things went downhill from there!

Steve Green

Quote from: robert_ellis on 21 February, 2019, 06:32:58 PM
I wasn't joking. Who knows what square shaped holes that giant chief judge shield's been hiding all these years? It would be just like Wagner to pick up a 40 year plot point!

I quite like that as a way to kill off Dredd. Lopez' revenge and the chin last to go obv.

Tiplodocus

Cracking prog. Really enjoyed it all but DREDD and Jaegir top of the pile closely followed by Grey Area then pretty good Skip Tracer and FS.

Again, kudos to Tharg for matching art droids to script REALLY well.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Steve Green on 21 February, 2019, 08:49:32 PM
Lopez' revenge and the chin last to go obv.

Better if Dredd suddenly starts sprouting a luxuriant moustache that grows back faster than he can shave it off. Eventually, he has to give up and ends up looking exactly like Carlos...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

sheridan

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 18 February, 2019, 10:49:09 AM
FShocks arReally like the idea of the cover, but think that the Mech should be 'much' bigger.

In relation to what?  The mech-head is pretty big and there's nothing to compare scale with on the be-biked mech.

sheridan

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 16 February, 2019, 09:17:19 PM
So there's some good stuff in there but CHRIST ON A BIKE nothing is getting close to Dredd is it!

Nope, it was Harvey on the bike!

Leigh S

Quote from: Richard on 21 February, 2019, 07:54:02 PM
No, although they lied to each other they didn't fall out yet. Not long after that, she backed mutants' rights for him and lost her job over it when it backfired. Then Dredd didn't resign, even though he'd told her he would if he didn't get what he wanted. She was off planet for three years, during which she (prog 2119 spoiler) [spoiler]caught a fatal disease[/spoiler]. So no wonder things went downhill from there!

Yrah, falling out is the wrong word, but everything that has happened since has stemmed from them not admitting to each other what Fargo said, but going about trying to "fix things" (Dredd most notably on the Mutant issue, which Hershey felt compelled to go along with due to knowing what Dredd knew?)

Tiplodocus

I thought it would have been a cool idea to take one of the iconic DREDD covers from the past, but replace DREDD with Randy or Harvey.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Leigh S

Any Questions?

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 22 February, 2019, 04:28:26 PM
I thought it would have been a cool idea to take one of the iconic DREDD covers from the past, but replace DREDD with Randy or Harvey.