Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidXBrunt

So very sad? Bollocks it is. To go through the horror of the first World War, to live through a tumultuous century but die peacefully? That's not sad? That's awe inspiringly wonderful and something to envy. A life lived well? Nowt sad about that.

vzzbux

Well said Mr Brunt couldn't agree with you more.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Daveycandlish

That's beautifully put, Mr Brunt. RIP Harry
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Mike Gloady

Couldn't agree more Mr Brunt.

Well done Harry, rest in peace.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Bolt-01

David put it well, but I don't think Steev was saying anything negative. Simply put a death is always sad, even for a life as full as Harry's.

Something Fishy

Quote from: DavidXBrunt on 25 July, 2009, 04:53:47 PM
So very sad? Bollocks it is. To go through the horror of the first World War, to live through a tumultuous century but die peacefully? That's not sad? That's awe inspiringly wonderful and something to envy. A life lived well? Nowt sad about that.

Nicely put mate.

Mike Gloady

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 26 July, 2009, 01:24:50 PM
David put it well, but I don't think Steev was saying anything negative. Simply put a death is always sad, even for a life as full as Harry's.

True.

A death, ANY death, is a sad time for the family - even if the life that preceeded it was full of happiness. 

Steev was right to say it's a sad time and one for reflection.  It's also a time for celebration of that life and all he saw, did and worked for.  The concepts aren't mutually exclusive, although I'd not have used the globular term Mr Brunt did (but that's just me). 
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Dark Jimbo

Aw, no. And so soon after Henry Allingham.

Bit of a momentous event, in its own way - Harry was the last remaining living WW1 soldier. The Edwardian era feels awfully distant and far removed, so it's amazing to think that we're only now seeing the passing of the last of that generation. My Great-great-aunt passed away last week, at the ripe old age of 98, and my paternal Grandmother is 93 (her father, incidentally, fought in the First World War and died in 1919 after suffering badly from shellshock). Genuinely amazes me to think of all the things they've lived through.

Anyway, enough rambling. Here's to you, Harry, and your amazing life. And I recommend the book about his life, The Last Fighting Tommy, if you're at all interested in that sort of thing.
@jamesfeistdraws

Richmond Clements

It was utterly appropriate that he was the lead story on the news last night.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: mikegloady on 26 July, 2009, 01:56:43 PM
Quote from: Bolt-01 on 26 July, 2009, 01:24:50 PM

True.

A death, ANY death, is a sad time for the family - even if the life that preceeded it was full of happiness. 

Steev was right to say it's a sad time and one for reflection.  It's also a time for celebration of that life and all he saw, did and worked for.  The concepts aren't mutually exclusive, although I'd not have used the globular term Mr Brunt did (but that's just me). 

I think you are right because there are different ways in which you could read that comment and the sentiment behind it.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Richmond Clements

Tweak72

+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

Adrian Bamforth

Mr Brunt's family have said he was ill before he died.

Oh sorry, misread that, they said he was 111. (copyright Les Dawson 1972: http://www.connemara.net/video/index.aspx?videoid=jbosNob8GcI

Dandontdare

Only just heard, Koko Taylor, Queen of the Blues, died on June 3rd. She was one of the famous Chess stable of artists and partnered Wilie Dixon. Most famous for her 1965 hit Wang Dang Doodle, i had the privilege to see a free gig by her at the University of Illinois in 1986.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: dandontdare on 27 July, 2009, 08:08:28 PM
Only just heard, Koko Taylor, Queen of the Blues, died on June 3rd. She was one of the famous Chess stable of artists and partnered Wilie Dixon. Most famous for her 1965 hit Wang Dang Doodle, i had the privilege to see a free gig by her at the University of Illinois in 1986.

Hadn't heard this. Damn.