Main Menu

Art & short story comp crossover?

Started by Minkyboy, 17 June, 2016, 07:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minkyboy

Not sure if this has ever been done or considered?

I wondered if it would work as a one-off sometime for the art comp and short story comp to use a chosen month's entries (not necessarily the same month) as the brief/starting point/inspiration for that month's competition?

So for example, if the short story comp was based on March's 'Swords & Sorcery' then we could have stories inspired by Mongrol the Ogre, Nemesis vs Slaine, Tharg the Mystical, Knight Dredd, the savage axe of Ukko and so on.

Similarly, if the art comp were to take it's inspiration from the "Twothy TV" stories we could get pics of Steptoe & Son with Tyranny Rex, Johnny Alpha in the Spaced flat, Dad's Army featuring Rogue and just about every idea from Echidna's TV listings: Jerry Springer "I'm a Mutant... and My Dad's Nelson Kreelman!".

I thought it might bring a bit more attention to the short story comp as well as getting the old creative juices going across the board.
So what do you think as a general idea? Good plan or a stinker?
Fiddling while Rome burns

"is being made a brain in a jar a lot more comen than I think it is." - Cyberleader2000

Daveycandlish

I think illustrating the short stories after the short story comp has finished, making it the next art comp and not directly influencing the judging of the stories is a great idea as long as they are spot illustrations and not comic strip adaptations ( cos drawin comics is hard!)

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Minkyboy

"is being made a brain in a jar a lot more comen than I think it is." - Cyberleader2000

james newell

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 18 June, 2016, 07:49:41 AM
I think illustrating the short stories after the short story comp has finished,

I would like to try some thing like this, a spot illo for a story entry if the writers ware on for it as a whole, any other artist on the forum into this, what do the writers think, maybe just try it for one month this summer as a type of sci fi special text story and spot illustration.

love McMahon work on this, check out his brilliant interview : http://2000adthrillcast.podomatic.com/

CrazyFoxMachine

We did this a few years ago for the 35th anniversary: https://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php?topic=35279.0

It didn't quite work out but that was quite some time ago and this is something that pops up as a plan every now and then, so clearly people have a taste for it. The artists providing a spot illustration for the short stories sounds like a really nice idea actually!

hmmm

Echidna

My favourite story comps have been the alternate-worlds ones, and I think they'd be particularly suitable for illustration - I'd love to see artists' interpretations of, say, Eamonn's Shakespearean Rogue Trooper or Dr. X's zombie M.A.C.H. 1.

The reverse could work, too - I'd like to read (or maybe write!) a story based on stuartcatley's medieval Dredd, for instance.

Echidna

Quote from: Echidna on 18 June, 2016, 09:16:34 PM
I'd love to see artists' interpretations of, say, Eamonn's Shakespearean Rogue Trooper

Actually, Steven Denton already kinda nailed it

Eamonn Clarke

Thanks for the mention, Echidna. I did like that story.
And I'm up for a crossover theme.

Jon

I'd be up for this. Sounds like a great idea.

CrazyFoxMachine

Perhaps it would go

Month 1 - Story Comp as per normal
Month 2 - Art Comp, pick any one of story comps stories, get doodling!

Thoughts?

Bad City Blue

I approve of this idea - bring it on
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Minkyboy

Simple, elegant, workable - sounds like a plan.

Bolt-01

If the art comp was to provide illos for the winner of the story comp, then there would be a greater number of votes for the story, and it would also increase the number of entries for the writer comp, too.

I can see this being a mutually beneficial thing.

Fungus