Main Menu

New Luther Arkwright coming - just be patient

Started by Colin YNWA, 22 August, 2019, 07:21:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

So I know there's a few Luther Arkwright fans, certainly a number of Bryan Talbot fans still hanging around this quiet corner of the internet. If you are you will be delighted to hear that there a new volume coming... in 2022!

So settle down, get a cup of tea, maybe something to read. Heck you've even got time to pop to the shops and I'll see you back here in three years.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/08/21/bryan-talbot-legend-of-luther-arkwright-after-almost-twenty-years/

karlos

That is beyond exciting!

Just want to add that, if there's anyone here who hasn't yet grabbed the Dark Horse Luther hardcover - do so as fast as you can, as it's the very best way to read this amazing work.

maryanddavid

Colin YNWA

Quote from: karlos on 22 August, 2019, 08:43:43 AM
That is beyond exciting!

Just want to add that, if there's anyone here who hasn't yet grabbed the Dark Horse Luther hardcover - do so as fast as you can, as it's the very best way to read this amazing work.

Yeah I only saw that existing when reading the linkie below. What is the extra content?

Proudhuff

Good news! I read em at the time, but have forgotten most of it  :-[
Maybe time to buy the collection?

I'm going to the Lakes Comic Con in Oct so hopefully see Mr Talbot there.
DDT did a job on me

Dandontdare

Excellent news, big LA fan here! I loved the pseudo-Arkwright that appeared in Nikolai Dante.

Tjm86

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 22 August, 2019, 09:07:41 AM
Yeah I only saw that existing when reading the linkie below. What is the extra content?

Awkwright Integral is a sumptuous tome that would only be improved by a slipcase (as DH did with the Complete Martha Washington).

Extras:

Introduction by Michael Moorcock (I think this was also in the DH tab - nope the original UK tpb, my bad).
Cover gallery (Dark Horse, original UK tpb trilogy and Valkyrie).
Interview by Steve Bissette
Heart of Empire cover gallery
Afterward by Warren Ellis

I'd say that DH did miss a trick by omitting quite a bit of the material from the Valkyrie Press Arkeology which includes Talbot's history of the printing of the original series, "The Debentures of Loofah Bathknight", "A vision of Albion", an analysis of the work compared to Blake's poetry by Dave Thorpe, "An overview of the Arkwright Cosmology" by Mike Brunton, illustrations by Grant Morrison, Dave Gibbons, Ian Gibson and Hunt Emerson and a closing strip by Dave McKean.  Some of the illustrations from the various articles have been used in Integral, mind.

If I'm honest, if DH were to address these faults I would be sorely tempted to double dip!

Dandontdare

Yeah I felt no need to replace my 2 paperbacks with that collected version as the extras weren't that impressive, but I would buy one with all those other bits you mentioned - just been looking at "The Debentures of Loofah Bathknight" on t'net which I'd never heard of

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Dandontdare on 22 August, 2019, 01:35:11 PM
Yeah I felt no need to replace my 2 paperbacks with that collected version as the extras weren't that impressive, but I would buy one with all those other bits you mentioned...

I really don't think the two series sit together particularly well - Bryan's style changed so much! I was hoping for two separate hardbacks together in a slipcase, myself.
@jamesfeistdraws

I, Cosh

Think I've asked this before, but what size are these collections?

Like the old Titan Nemesis and VCs collections, you'll have to take my proper, 2000AD sized reprints of old Luther from my cold, dead hands.
We never really die.

karlos

Not sure about exact dimensions, but it's a size!

Also, it's the only, to date, remastered version available outside of (I think) the Polish release.

Note that the current Dark Horse Integral hardcover is now out of print, so find a decently priced copy asap!

sheridan

For those not familiar - the Dave McKean 'strip' is illustrations to go with Neil Gaiman's Villanelle (which was also in a later one-off, with piccies by somebody else).  May be misremembering, but I think the later publication was called The Great Exhibition of 1851.

sheridan

For those not familiar - the Dave McKean 'strip' is illustrations to go with Neil Gaiman's Villanelle (which was also in a later one-off, with piccies by somebody else).  May be misremembering, but I think the later publication was called The Great Exhibition of 1851.

sheridan

(and was very small-press in feel, though emulating the Valkyrie editions).

Robin Low

I have pretty much every printed version of the first Arkwright series, a signed poster, and even a jigsaw of the in-world painting 'The Battle of London' from Heart of Empire. So, I'm really excited by this.

I'm gonna spoil that enthusiasm by saying I'm not a great fan of his current style. I far prefer his earlier style to the thicker lines of his current. This hasn't stopped me buying all his Grandville stuff, though.

(Also, another opportunity to beg for large hardback editions of Nemesis, please.)

Regards,

Robin