Main Menu

It's a bit warm/ wet/ cold outside

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 24 July, 2019, 09:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 20 October, 2020, 06:54:35 AM
Re cattle, besides deforestation, cow burps, and desertification caused by grazing etc etc, what really startled me was how much soy was eaten by livestock! It's about 75% of all soy grown. It's insane! Why not just cut out the middleman and farm soy just for humans? We'd cut down on land use for agriculture by 50% overnight!

https://wwf.panda.org/our_work/our_focus/food_practice/sustainable_production/soy/

Yeah, vegetarians and vegans have been having that argument for years. Maybe Sir David will have people trolling him with "But... bacon... nom nom nom" now.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Funt Solo

Pretty sure that what tastes so great about bacon is the salt. Politically, it's difficult to sell giving up red meat, or gasoline even, due to vested interests and loud morons.

Will humanity cause its own mass extinction?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Funt Solo on 20 October, 2020, 02:38:04 PM
Will humanity cause its own mass extinction?

Unexpected asteroid impacts notwithstanding, it's starting to feel pretty inevitable.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tiplodocus

Pretty sure that what tastes so great about bacon is the salt.

And grease.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 20 October, 2020, 03:10:58 PM
Pretty sure that what tastes so great about bacon is the salt.

And grease.

And the bacon.

Although to be fair I miss pork scratchings far more than I do bacon. And pepperoni pizzas.

Ah well.

Barrington Boots

Pepperoni pizza is also what I really miss since I became veggie. There's no substitute for all that grease. I still think it's the right decision though.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

IndigoPrime

I still get a little jealous about people going veggie. Mrs IP and I were heading that way and were really happy about it. Then she got severe late onset oral allergy syndrome and I got badly sick for two weeks and have ever since had an undiagnosed condition that severely limits fibre and FODMAP intake. I'd go batshit without eggs and chicken—and I can't tolerate coconut, which wipes out a lot of vegan substitute foods (like basically all cheese).

If someone could wave a magic wand tomorrow and eradicate our allergies/intolerances, I don't know if we'd go veggie immediately, but I imagine we'd be back to eating meat perhaps only a few times per week (and in much smaller portions). Bah @ reality.

shaolin_monkey

shaolin_monkey

A bit of a history lesson for you today!

This is a cracking thread about the woman who was the first to document the heat trapping properties of CO2 in 1856, Eunice Foote.

Enjoy!

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1320478123033530371.html

shaolin_monkey

Have you ever wanted to be able to quickly write the correct chemical compound formulas, but could never figure out a way to get the tiny numbers? You know, on things like:

CO₂

and

CH₄

Well now you can with this great website!

http://symbolsalad.com

shaolin_monkey

You may recall me discussing crop yields worldwide being hit hard due to climate change, and associated chaotic weather patterns?

To recap, enough calories to feed 50 million people are lost EVERY YEAR, cumulatively, to climate change related crop failures.

Well, it's now becoming quite a problem for U.K. crops. 20% reduction in some areas (see article).

Bear this in mind for this January coming, as we rip up the trade agreements we have with the trading bloc from which we import about 30% (it may be a lot more than that) of our food.

https://www.farminguk.com/news/uk-sees-significant-drop-in-yield-across-all-major-crops_56862.html

The Doctor Alt 8

Two Dalihas... (One of which I thought was dead) have started to FLOWER ... It's nearly Christmas and they have buds... You'd think the lack of sunlight would tell the plant's it was too late but... nope!

IndigoPrime

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 31 October, 2020, 03:34:41 AMas.we rip up the trade agreements we have with the trading bloc from which we import about 30% (it may be a lot more than that) of our food
I was helpfully informed by someone on Twitter this past week that this doesn't matter, because doesn't the EU know we can import food from elsewhere? I don't even.

JayzusB.Christ

It's a bit hurricaney here in Ireland; you notice it all the more when you live on a boat.  Also, where were the blackberries this year? I waited and waited but haven't seen more than one or two struggling to grow in the spots where I usually pick loads. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

It's a bit draughty here, too - but plenty of blackberries, raspberries and such to snaffle. I have a couple of raspberry bushes growing outside my cabin and it's great to grab a couple to chomp on now and then.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]