Main Menu

Scream & Misty Special 2018

Started by Tomwe, 26 July, 2018, 11:31:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: broodblik on 19 October, 2018, 02:30:15 PM
The digital version  looks fine. Jim I liked everything about Black Max and the lettering complemented the strip wonderfully.

Thank you! That's very much appreciated. :-)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

DrJomster

I really enjoyed this special. Lots to love!

I wonder, is the demand there so we could go semi-annual? It does seem to be gong quite well.

The back catalogue reprints have been just splendid so far.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

MacabreMagpie

This is what I was talking about with the low-res thing. These are from the last page of Black Beth where you can see the difference in line quality between the art and lettering, though it only happens on that page as DaNi's lines are clear on the previous ones.

Not a huge issue or anything, and probably not something you might even notice if you're not looking at it with an artist's eye, just a curious occurrence.

MacabreMagpie

Really enjoyed this year's instalment, I might add. I'd like to see more but, if nothing else, I hope it continues as a Halloween special for many years to come.

Fortnight

I noticed that too. It's not disastrous but looks like the lettering was done on (or post-applied to) a downsampled preview copy of the page. I won't pretend to know the process.

CalHab

Is Smuzz the artist formerly known as SMS, of ABC Warrriors Black Hole fame?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: CalHab on 22 October, 2018, 08:13:34 PM
Is Smuzz the artist formerly known as SMS, of ABC Warrriors Black Hole fame?

Yep.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

CalHab

That must be one of the longest gaps between appearances in the prog/specials. Over thirty years?

Proudhuff

Bought this, but slightly underwhelmed by it, and its not cheap  :-X
DDT did a job on me

JayzusB.Christ

My spooky Halloween story from last year - I woke up from a dream about a fascist-style dictatorship with the symbol like a three-armed swastika, then minutes after waking read for the first time the story in the 2017 Scream / Misty special about the dictatorship with that exact symbol.

Anyway, looking forward to this year's, even though the reviews here are a bit underwhelming.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

DrJomster

I would love to see the stories given more space to breathe. I've just finished Misty vol 3 and the pacing as the story develops is a real pleasure, something that you just can't replicate across 5 pages in a special.

Having said that, I did enjoy this and definitely want to see more. What's that? A new monthly title? One can but dream! Please though can it be called Misty and Scream, rather than Scream and Misty?
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

IndigoPrime

Finally read this last night. My print copy has the cock-up in that last page of Black Beth, which is a pity because I liked the art. In a more general sense, it feels like this comic desperately wants to no longer be a special and instead become a monthly (or quarterly). Unlikely, perhaps, in the current comics climate, but waiting an entire year to see what happens in Black Max is a bit ARGH.

As for BFF, I'm not sure what was unclear about that – the gator [spoiler]is about to bite off her head due to being betrayed – you're either BFFs or you're not[/spoiler].

Aaron A Aardvark

I thought this was a bit ordinary to be honest. Like a taster for on going series that won't happen.

The Alligator one was entertaining - and self contained - and it looks great.

Robin Low

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 27 October, 2018, 11:10:55 AM
Finally read this last night. My print copy has the cock-up in that last page of Black Beth, which is a pity because I liked the art. In a more general sense, it feels like this comic desperately wants to no longer be a special and instead become a monthly (or quarterly). Unlikely, perhaps, in the current comics climate, but waiting an entire year to see what happens in Black Max is a bit ARGH.

A quarterly would be pretty good, a monthly fantastic but I expect unlikely. I get more out of these than I get out of the Prog at the moment (with all due respect to The Small House and Kingdom). If I was going to find fault it would be by agreeing with Fortnight's comments about having to make narrative leaps - you get a sense that panels are missing in to order to fit a limited page count. However, it's partly this roughness that appeals to me.

The best thing about these specials, though, is that they feel like their own things, not a side-order of more Prog to go with the Prog.

Regards,

Robin

JOE SOAP

Honour the old school practice of mergers: 2000AD AND SCREAM!