Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

Crimson Peak

I found it rather predictable, but it was enjoyable, well acted, looked sumptuous, and the ghosts looked pretty freaky.

What's with Del Toro film ghosts having evaporating blood, though? Not that I dislike the effect, it's just the second film where I've seen this.

[spoiler] Also,why is it that in these films, ghosts who actually care enough to return with a warning for their loved ones,  do it in a scary way? I get that they maybe can't help their corpse-like appearance and gratey voices but can't they just say "Hello dear, don't be scared it's just your old mother. I know I look a bit peaky, and forgive the raspy voice. Dying of the black cholera* will do that for you, and throat lozenges literally go through me. I just wanted to warn you not to go to Crimson Peak."

Instead, old mother ghost wiggles the door handle violently, then when her daughter goes to check, she screeches at her from the end of the hall. When asked what she wants to say, the ghost lunges through the door and grabs her instead of just... you know... telling her. That doesn't even include what she did on her first visit to her ten year old daughter, she was waving her arms about in an eerie way, then grabbing her daughters shoulder suddenly...

Okay, I suppose the real reason is because it's a horror story and supposed to be scary and to add a bit of misdirection. I guess an In-world reason is that the trauma of their death twists their minds and they come back wonky. But even so...  [/spoiler]

*or whatever it was

Rara Avis

Quote from: Arkwright99 on 16 October, 2017, 06:24:17 PM
When it comes to the ending/reveal it's almost as though everyone got bored and decided sod it, let's just finish up and go home. To be honest, I can't say I blame them. Avoid, unless you want to see how far Val Kilmer has fallen from his glory days.

Oh my! How could I have forgotten Val Kilmer, what the hell was he doing in this? Surely he can't be broke?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who found this confusing.

[spoiler]Ok so the plastic surgeon was procuring women for the politician - but why did the killer kill him?What was he getting too close too? Surely a murder will confirm they're on the right track. Also killed him in the same style he killed yer one's father - why? And old was he when he did that? Doesn't the trailer show Chloƫ Sevigny being chased after getting her foot in a trap? And the end 'I know why you hate your Mother' Just stand there .. yeah .. one more second .. ok time to die.. thanks bud[/spoiler]

Keef Monkey

Rewatched Ghost In The Shell: The New Movie (as in the Arise movie) because on a first watch a while back I found I struggled to follow the story. Blamed it on my tiredness at the time and gave it another crack. Still couldn't follow the story particularly, but it's more action-heavy than most GiTS stuff, and the action is very, very stylish and cool so I still enjoyed it a great deal.

Maybe on a third watch while fully alert I'll follow that plot better and will know why everyone is fighting each other.

NapalmKev

The Dark Tower.

A strange one, this. I enjoyed it but felt the story was a bit on the thin side, almost like 30-45 mins had been ripped out of it. Excellent performances from the main cast and some good special effects that actually seem to serve the story rather than be there just for eye-candy. And a few well placed Easter eggs for the fans.

There was a lot of internet tutting knobbery about Idris Elba playing the part of the Gunslinger. I thought he played the part well. And as for the "But he's Black!" argument, well, Fuck off to be honest, it's irrelevant, and can even be explained away with Nerdery - He's a different 'Roland' from a different reality. I would suggest that the way the film starts with [spoiler]Roland holding his dying father[/spoiler] actually tells you this isn't the same Roland from the books, [spoiler]No Ka-Tet, no horn of Eld and he still has all of his fingers. Never mind the fact that he actually beats the Man in Black[/spoiler]

Anyway, enough ranting. It's not a masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination and it crams a lot into it's short running time but it's a solid watch.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Tiplodocus

I quite enjoyed Kingsman: The Golden Circle. It was never going to be as fun as the first and is thirty minutes too long (the three fight finale could have been one) and despite initially liking Julianne Moore's villain, she outstayed her welcome.

Top marks for this vs you don't often see in spy movies [spoiler]the President spending the baddies an - It's not often a film lime this asks you a big question and what side of the fence you sit on.

The Golden Circle of the title not being the criminal organisation  after all

Taking the bum sex gag from the first film and turn I g it I to a relationship... And a couple more good gags. Back stage pass indeed.[/spoiler]

And while I thought the Glastonbury scene was a bit too excessive and adolescent, I could see what they were goi g for. Not sure I get the misogyny - we established that this was the kind of character she was; as was Whiskey (sic) and both she and Eggsy are explouting each other for their own ends. The other females in the film more than show that this is not the film, the writer or the director's attitude to women.

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

The Legendary Shark

Baby Driver. I really wasn't looking forward to this but was pleasantly surprised. It's a lot of fun and jogs along at a pleasing pace. The characters are all interesting and Kevin Spacey and Jamie Foxx both seem to be enjoying themselves enough to give solid performances. I really enjoyed the use of music, with some gunshots popping of to the rhythm of the soundtrack. Recommended.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 18 October, 2017, 10:35:22 AM
Not sure I get the misogyny

I think they could have done 'that scene' a tad more tastefully. And yes, that is the character she is...But someone had to write it like that.

The film comes across like it was written by committee by a group of 13 year olds in their lunch break at a private school. Just because you can write anal sex jokes, and turn them into a plot (of sorts) doesn't mean you should (read that in a Jeff Goldblum voice please.)

But each to their own.

I liked the first one (eventually) but like Kick Ass the second seemed like a bet of how far they could push the envelope of bad taste.

Too far in my opinion.

Mardroid

Quote from: NapalmKev on 17 October, 2017, 10:58:39 AM
The Dark Tower.

[spoiler]No Ka-Tet, no horn of Eld and he still has all of his fingers. Never mind the fact that he actually beats the Man in Black[/spoiler]

Spoilers for film and novels:

[spoiler] Actually, although, it's not clear on film and doesn't appear in that limited flashback, Roland apparently had the horn (snigger) this time round. So you're not far off in your theory. Change 'world' for 'cycle' although that could kind of be the same thing. [/spoiler]

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Mardroid on 18 October, 2017, 06:15:30 PM
Quote from: NapalmKev on 17 October, 2017, 10:58:39 AM
The Dark Tower.

[spoiler]No Ka-Tet, no horn of Eld and he still has all of his fingers. Never mind the fact that he actually beats the Man in Black[/spoiler]

Yes, he did.

Spoilers for film and novels:

[spoiler] Actually, although, it's not clear on film and doesn't appear in that limited flashback, Roland apparently had the horn (snigger) this time round. So you're not far off in your theory. Change 'world' for 'cycle' although that could kind of be the same thing. [/spoiler]

Smith

Nightmare on Elms street 3 This franchise is a lot like the Harry Potter movies.In that the first 3 are good,and the rest are just meh.Its good,really ridiculous at times,but that's why we like it.
Jeepers Creepers 2 Rarely for a sequel,it manages to outdo the first movie.
Also,I kinda remember cellphones being a thing in 2003.  :-\

Mattofthespurs

Life.
Good cast wasted. 5/10

Mardroid

The last two films I have seen were two Tarantino westerns namely:

The Hateful Eight
I enjoyed this a lot. It goes to a rather dark disturbing place, but it was largely good. I kind of like the fact that in Tarantino films, there are long scenes where people can chat a lot of rubbish... and those scenes do not drag, and are not boring. The introduction to this film where nothing really happens at all apart from a wagon driving past, DID drag, though.

Django Unchained

Very different from the Hateful Eight, but also very good. [spoiler]I like that it ended on a more positive note than the previous film. Not sure why Tarantino decided to speak with an Aussie (or was it Kiwi, I'm not good at telling them apart. Apologies to anyone from down-under who reads this.) accent in his cameo,
but it was amusing. Much like the Kiwi girl who suddenly appeared out of nowhere in  The Hateful Eight.[/spoiler]

Mattofthespurs

That'll be Zoe Bell, a New Zealander. She initially started in the business as a stunt person and Tarantino used her as an actress in Death Proof. She's not a very good actress in my opinion.

Rara Avis

She probably has really nice feet.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Mardroid on 22 October, 2017, 07:37:15 AMNot sure why Tarantino decided to speak with an Aussie accent in his cameo, but it was amusing.[/spoiler]

Because he was playing an Aussie character!
@jamesfeistdraws