Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apestrife

Pete Doherty on Hunting party should mean Death of a legend is included right :) ??

Quote from: Richard on 26 May, 2017, 03:05:14 PM
Insurrection made no sense. The SJS, who are only the judges' Internal Affairs people who just investigate corruption, for some reason have a massive armada of heavily armed spaceships? An armada that was never used when Mega-City One was fighting a huge, years-long war with some aliens, but which suddenly gets deployed against a small backwater MC1 colony when it mutinies because it was abandoned and left to fend for itself during said war. This small but plucky band of rebels then manage to defeat the massively superior SJS fleet, somehow.  :-\

Insurrections place in the time line isnt set is it? Havent read the book, but ive figured it takes place further into the future.

Richard

No, we've seen characters from Insurrection in Lawless (I think).

Also they mentioned Chief Judge Hershey once, so it couldnt have been intended to be very far in the future (if at all ).

TordelBack

Insurrection does indeed make no sense in terms of the main Dredd strip. Luckily it's a brilliant series with an even more brilliant spin-off, and so this minor detail doesn't matter.

If you want to rationalise it (and I wouldn't recommend it), Space Is Big: what seems like an enormous fleet is actually what you need to keep hundreds of colonies spread across the galaxy safe and in line: they don't show up elsewhere cos they are usually scattered across many parsecs. The SJS gets ths job because skullz r cool Justice Dept and its Marshals are the de facto governments of these worlds, and keeping Judges toeing the city line is very much their thing.

Dash Decent

Quote from: Richard on 26 May, 2017, 03:05:14 PM
This small but plucky band of rebels then manage to defeat the massively superior SJS fleet, somehow.

That's what small but plucky bands of rebels always do!
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

sheridan

Quote from: Richard on 26 May, 2017, 11:36:27 PM
No, we've seen characters from Insurrection in Lawless (I think).

Also they mentioned Chief Judge Hershey once, so it couldnt have been intended to be very far in the future (if at all ).

Maybe, maybe not - it could be that Hershey has a secret stookie stash and that she'll be CJ for a very long time (look at immortal rulers such as [spoiler]Queen Anne in Luther Arkwright: Heart of Empire[/spoiler], or the Emperor of the Imperium of Man.

A lot is said about how Anderson doesn't seem to be aging much, but not so much about Hershey, who was introduced a year later...

Richard

Tharg / Cyber-Matt should just tell all the artists that Anderson and Hershey are in their 50's now. They can still look hot, but they're MILFs now.

abelardsnazz

I enjoyed some of the stories in Tales from the Black Museum more than others, but as they're one-offs the next one is never too far away. Some great art and links to other stories in the canon, and this is a good companion volume to Horror Stories.

sheridan

Quote from: Richard on 28 May, 2017, 01:25:52 PM
Tharg / Cyber-Matt should just tell all the artists that Anderson and Hershey are in their 50's now. They can still look hot, but they're MILFs now.
Motorcyclists I'd like to...

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

abelardsnazz

I really enjoyed Brothers of the Blood, my only criticism is that the original Vienna story wasn't included to complete the Dredd family tree. Could that be a repro issue?

That aside, the volume is a great examination of the nature of Dredd and his relatives, well reflected in Michael Molcher's thoughtful and extensive article.

Looking forward to The Hunting Party, not so sure about Behind the Iron Curtain as I share the not-so-fond memories of Red Razors. Any clues as to what else might be included in that volume?

TordelBack

Yeah, Brothers of the Blood is a really fantastic collection, but definitely could use that original Vienna story. The other minor wobble is The Satanist, which is less painful in one go, but a rare example of Wagner dropping the ball: two successive scenes of Dredd improbably breaking his chains? Numerous repetitions of 'what has Vienna got herself into?'. Plus it's at least a dozen pages too long. Can't help thinking that the alpacas must have had an attention-consuming ailment that month.

On the plus side, could Mrs Pasternak in the shower be Adlard's first printed zombie?

Skullmo

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 11 June, 2017, 01:10:01 PM
I really enjoyed Brothers of the Blood, my only criticism is that the original Vienna story wasn't included to complete the Dredd family tree. Could that be a repro issue?

That aside, the volume is a great examination of the nature of Dredd and his relatives, well reflected in Michael Molcher's thoughtful and extensive article.

Looking forward to The Hunting Party, not so sure about Behind the Iron Curtain as I share the not-so-fond memories of Red Razors. Any clues as to what else might be included in that volume?

Inspectre? Samizdat Squad?
It's a joke. I was joking.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Skullmo on 11 June, 2017, 06:01:59 PM
Frankenstein Division!
The Last Invader? I guess he wasn't actually behind the Iron Curtain at the time.
We never really die.

abelardsnazz

Quote from: I, Cosh on 12 June, 2017, 12:53:31 PM
Quote from: Skullmo on 11 June, 2017, 06:01:59 PM
Frankenstein Division!
The Last Invader? I guess he wasn't actually behind the Iron Curtain at the time.

Frankenstein Division was included in the Inferno volume, although I can forgive anyone for forgetting that. Would be good to see The Last Invader though.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 13 June, 2017, 12:19:38 PMFrankenstein Division was included in the Inferno volume, although I can forgive anyone for forgetting that.
Ha! I'd managed to block that from my mind. *demands mind bleach*