Main Menu

Prog 2010: The Eye of the Storm

Started by Leigh S, 03 December, 2016, 12:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

DREDD: Carrol and Currie make a good thrill, though seems like two ideas not quite long or strong enough to hold a story on their own mashed together - we had a previous (Rennie?) Dredd about Necropolis deniers I recall?  It is a fun conceit, but given that both disasters were City wide, they dont hold up to a great deal of scrutiny - I doubt there are any astronauts who deny we landed on the moon for instance?

Flesh fails again, and I am sure it is the art that has one this for me - i enjoyhed and could follow it back when it was hand drawn, for all the drawbacks that art style had in comparison to this technically more impressive stuff

Savage works really well for me - bring on the cliff edge of craziness that Savage's world morphing into Ro Busters etc will bring.  The idea of an inane future impinging on the past to make itself happen is very Millsy and is just about perfect - to see Savage caught up in that - perfecter!

Counterfeit Girl sseemed a bittoo long for the story it needed to tell -dropa couple of the chase episodes and i would feel a lot warmer towards this I think - solid enough though

Leigh S

"inane" future of course being "insane", though your mieage may vary!

Leigh S

Southstreeter

Those three words you dread, that always end a Mills story - "To Be Continued". Much as I like most of Pat's work, it would be nice if he could ever finish something.

Leigh S

Pat's cliffhanger endings do seem weird, but are standard fare in TV surely - Game of Thrones springs to mind?

Richard

It's annoying when Game of Thrones does it too. But I suppose you have a point.

I think though it may be because some writers care more about how it will all look in the graphic novel than in the weekly prog. I wonder if every third book if Savage has a proper ending?

Leigh S

Quote from: Richard on 03 December, 2016, 03:09:46 PM

I think though it may be because some writers care more about how it will all look in the graphic novel than in the weekly prog. I wonder if every third book if Savage has a proper ending?

Good point - weirdly, Pat rails against "writing for collections" as one of the many reasons 2000AD lost its way, IIRC, aas recently as in the 2000AD Thrill Cast of a week or two back!

GordonR

Quote from: Leigh S on 03 December, 2016, 04:04:13 PM
Quote from: Richard on 03 December, 2016, 03:09:46 PM

Good point - weirdly, Pat rails against "writing for collections" as one of the many reasons 2000AD lost its way, IIRC, aas recently as in the 2000AD Thrill Cast of a week or two back!

You've got to be fucking joking. Everything he produces these days is clearly written in big collection-friendly blocks.

The Monarch

yeah isn't mills one of the big supporters of big european style hardback gns? sorry but Gordons right its so obviously written for the trade these days

IndigoPrime

60% Mills and clearing the decks. Savage sort of regained my interest but Flesh somehow feels like it's been going for 65 million years, despite not much happening. I'm just bored of it now, and I bet after the next ten-prog run we'll get another TBC.

Dredd was decent enough and Counterfeit Girl ended well. Looking forward to next week's giant prog.

Jacqusie

"...A zarjaz finale to flesh"

Someones printed the wrong episode in my prog, as guess what... there was no finale! Jazarg or otherwise!

Pat Mill's emperor's new clothes have been wearing very thin of late, there seems to be very little substance over design in Slaine, ABC and this 9 part offering of Flesh, where as many have said... Nothing happened!

2000AD editorial staff are trying to sell this stuff by giving it 3 covers and the big build cinnematic build up's, which take up enough space in the prog and bank accounts, but not much else...

I've started to really wonder about the editorial staff and how they are marketing this stuff at the readership now, as I'm getting the impression they think we'll keep on swallowing it regardless (you fools and your late progs!)

Their golden goose will keep churning out book after book of this stuff (the clue is in the name), which will go on and on filling up the pages, whilst the stories become ever more tenuous and tedious.

ABC next up... I'm on the edge of my seat...

dweezil2

In fairness, 2000AD is no more guilty of this than U.S publishers, so the accusations are a little unfair.

This series of Flesh has been a bit of a misfire, but considering uncle Pat has been in the game over 40 years, he's entitled to a few duds from time to time-and I've been really enjoying Savage, somit's no biggie for me.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Steve Green

The bigger problem I have is so many unfinished strips the prog has in a holding pattern.

Cliffhangers are one thing, but at least you have a good idea when a TV series is coming back.

Stickleback
Brass Sun
Brink
Kingdom
Absalom (Though on that one it Gordon has said it's going to be wrapped up)

I can't honestly remember where Slaine or ABC Warriors left off

Ampney Crucis - ditto, something evil/duplicate universe?

Greysuit

At the moment it feels like every other strip is in a Dan Dare will return mode.

Colin YNWA

Okay before I go on I need to get this bit out the way. The quote at the end of Savage this week... and  know I'll kick myself... but for the life of me I can't place it. I know it, but can't put my finger on it and its nagging me something rotten. I've tried a search but no joy, so I open the door to wails of derision but where is

"I want to than the Devil for all that he ain't done.
'Cos the Devil is innocent
It was me that was the one."

Anyway to Prog reviews in the Prog review thread, of all crazy things, I know.

Love the cover, so eye (ahem) catchin'

Inside really enjoyed Dredd, nice sharp done in one and Andrew Currie's art was pleasently restrained, which was entirely fitting. Top stuff.

Flesh was alas indulgent fluff again. This story has felt like its been just a vehicle for Clint Langley's art at times. Alas its not been that effective a vehicle and this has been a detriment to the series which up to this point I'd still be enjoying. I didn't hate this story, but I didn't love it the way I have this series in the recent past.

Double Savage was a lovely treat. This seems to be losing some folks and while the ending was very open (as was Flesh) it was a thrill ride. I enjoy the dynamic between Savage and Nika and look forward to her rescue next time so that both her and Bill can be on the out of their respective 'sides'. That's whats coming right? Good fun this one.

I've adored Counterfeit Girl to this point, one of the best new thrills in the last few year. Its propelled itself forward at wonderful pace, with art that has been suitably vibrant abd energetic. Its been a great examination of Mr Milligan's fav theme of identity so that makes it all the more disappointing that the end was a little weak. It might work better in re-read, which I very much look forward to but as read diappointing after a glorious thrill. Kinda wanted this to be a done in one story, but now I want it back so it can redemn its ending!

Overall very strong progage and the X-Mas Prog seems to have A LOT to offer and the line-up for the new year (I think), two new thrills, Kingdom, The Order joining Dredd could mean we have a stonking next line-up. Good work Tharg, good work.