Main Menu

Prog 2013 - Infernal Investigations

Started by Mattofthespurs, 09 January, 2017, 09:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattofthespurs

The first prog I have received in 2017 and it's rather super, I think.
Dredd: Deep in the Heart. Absolutely loving the art work from Trevallion. Nice, crisp and clean and the story is getting very interesting.

Kingmaker Part 3. The one story from five that's not exactly floating my boat at the moment but it could be too early to tell.

Hope...For The Future part 3 Again, it's the art that is blowing me away with this feature. Reminds me of the EC stuff towards the end of those comics and the plot is going along nicely.

The Order never been a massive fan but once again the artwork is teriffic.

Kingdom. Little bit too much action and not enough to read for my tastes but still decent.

If anything this issue sums up exactly what 2000 AD is. Stories of wildly different concepts and artwork spanning the whole gamut of styles and ranges. In other words; something for everyone.

A cracking read 8/10

Trent

No one else got their prog.
Clint cover is bright but murky.
Dredd ticks all the boxes with lovely art to boot.
Other stories all continue satisfactorily with a particular tip of the hat to the main image on the opening page of Hope. Very striking stuff from Jimmy Broxton.

Mattofthespurs

Oops, forgot to mention the cover.
Love it but to be honest would not want to make me pick up the Prog for the first time.

moly

Colin YNWA

Quote from: moly on 09 January, 2017, 08:04:31 PM
the cover is fantastic this week

Doesn't it just SCREAM Vertigo circa 1993 - not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

Anyway inside the Prog we have much to enjoy. Dredd  continues to be beautiful and developing very nicely. I'm really intrigued to see how current Dredd deals with the laws of Diana.

Really enjoyed Kingmaker Ian Edginton does rather rely on these exposition heavy world builders like this episode but I'm intrigued by the world he's crafting and the way he playing with the familar.

Hope ... for the Future continues to look grimmy beautiful and I'm beginning to accept the way this one leans heavily on the fimilar.

The Order continues to look sublimely beautiful and the story shifts in a pleasing direction. God I love this strip.

Kingdom continues to look simply beautiful and this all action number is an effective jolt to remind you what the Prog is all about as it draws to a close (the Prog not the story that is). God I love this strip.

Good dog Tharg, good dog.

CalHab

Needs a few random pictures of objects photoshopped in for the full "90s Dave McKean cover" effect.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: CalHab on 10 January, 2017, 02:12:54 AM
Needs a few random pictures of objects photoshopped in for the full "90s Dave McKean cover" effect.

For the full McKean effect, it really needs to be about four feet high and composed using physical objects...!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

So in a very strong Prog under a classy cover, I'm inclined towards .Dredd being the top thrill. I confess my heart sank a little as Carroll's Dredd-and-foreign-partner dyad headed toward another new floating/underground/reconstruction settlement, but I was wrong: everything about Diana worked, and the twist was a good'un. Lovely stuff.

Three strips with dog-men in the same Prog: is this a record? (I scoured the background of Kingmaker for a gnoll, werewolf or even kobold, but alas!).

The Enigmatic Dr X

Still not got mine. What about you lot?
Lock up your spoons!

Pegasus P Artichoke

Another cracking prog with a cracking cover

Dredd continues its fine form, art is superb and the story moves up into another level for me at the end. Really looking forward to seeing this one pan out

Kingslayer looks fantastic and enjoying it

Hope is a corker the opening page is excellent, really enjoying this story

The Order still has me on board, last time I got a bit lost with it but so far so good

Kingdom more action than dialogue but that's no bad thing for me

All in all another top quality prog
We'll give them back their heroes

Hawkmumbler

Fello digital subs, is it just me or are the 2017 prog still materialising weekly in the 2016 folder?

Molch-R

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 12 January, 2017, 10:51:58 AM
Fello digital subs, is it just me or are the 2017 prog still materialising weekly in the 2016 folder?

Fear not, the droids are working to correct this problem!

I, Cosh

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 12 January, 2017, 10:51:58 AM
All fine here...

We never really die.

Frank

The prog review section (and the forum in general) is really more of a support group for people who have ordered stuff online and are worried because it hasn't arrived yet.

'YOU SHOT MAH PAW!'

© Tommy Cooper, 1978. If Michael Carroll has a section planned where Dredd and Brass travel on horseback, I can let him have a joke my dad used to tell about how cowboys deal with chapped lips.

Tiernen Trevallion's art is a revelation, especially that BLAM! BLAM! panel of Rufus taking a pop at Dredd. If Tharg's looking for someone to join the holy trinity of MacNeil/Flint/Willsher on the next 6 month epic*, the man with the name that looks like an anagram of itself is one to consider.

* Are Grindstone Cowboys, Lion's Den, Reclamation, and Deep in The Heart already part of some kind of Tour Of Duty-style epic in instalments?