radiator

Quotetouted as the best Star Wars movie

That old chestnut!

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: radiator on 13 December, 2017, 04:34:57 PM

That old chestnut!

Well, we'll find out soon enough!

Although my opinion is generally considered invalid as my favourite is Rogue One and I've seen them all on within the first week of release.

Mind you, the excitement of the original will be unsurpassed in my eyes.

Even had a Star Wars lolly during the intermission whilst waiting for the second, most disappointing film ever, on the double bill.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: radiator on 13 December, 2017, 04:34:57 PM

I plan to say this. Until a few weeks later when I will recognise it as flawed. And when it comes out on bluray, it'll be my least favourite. And by the time it comes on telly, I'll fecking hate it.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

Rating Rogue One highly is far from making your opinion invalid, Matt - the whole point of the 'Story' films was (allegedly) to be different to the 'Saga' films, so the fact that it has variable appeal means that's working. 

Expectations managed, and tickets booked for Friday night, no more Facetwittering for me until then, I think.  I just about trust you guys, but the rest of the internet... not a jot. 

radiator

I'm sure TLJ will be fine - all I'll say is, yes, it's getting great (bordering on ecstatic) reviews, but if you remember, so did The Force Awakens.

A friend of mine who's already seen TLJ hasn't given an opinion on it, save to say that he thinks it will be very divisive. Take from that what you will...

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 13 December, 2017, 05:41:17 PMExpectations managed, and tickets booked for Friday night

I'll be at the Savoy, dahling.

TordelBack

Nothing so flash for me, IMC Tallaght representin' (just easier to get to with the kids, and €27 for the 4 of us on a Friday evening!). 

Although now I wish I'd gone for the Savoy, while the old girl is still there.  Maybe for a second viewing! 

Link Prime

As the Gravy Train has officially run out of steam, no more premiere city centre nights in IMAX for me- I'll be slummin it in Liffey Valley this Sunday evening.
Now there's just the difficult task of going internet dark between now and then.

Magnetica

It's probably reached the time to avoid this thread until I have seen it.

Mattofthespurs

Just got back from seeing it.
This will be spoiler free as the spoiler button does not work for me on this browser.

Hmmmm.
Don't think it's even close to being the best Star Wars film. It's not even the best Star Wars film I've seen in the last 14 months.
Overlong, a bit pointless, style over substance, no heart, disappointing. These are my initial reactions.
It does look pretty good, but it's just not very good. 6/10

My Star Wars ranking;
#1 Rogue One
#2 Empire Strikes Back
#3 The Force Awakens
#4 Star Wars
#5 The Last Jedi
#6 The Return of the Jedi
#7 Revenge of the Sith
#8 Attack of the Clones
#9 The Phantom Menace

Still, I'm often wrong or have much different tastes to others.

Magnetica

So it's better than Return of the Jedi at least. Which is my son's (current) favourite Star Wars film.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Magnetica on 14 December, 2017, 01:57:09 PM
So it's better than Return of the Jedi at least. Which is my son's (current) favourite Star Wars film.

Only in my opinion.
But I don't like Ewoks, so...

Pete Wells

I loved it!!!

Four of us went last night, three loved it, one didn't. So yeah, very decisive. PLEASE try and avoid spoilers!!!

SIP

How different our star wars rankings are!

Seeing it in 1 hour and 20 minutes......expecting it to be either 5th, 6th or 7th on my list if it's good.

I really can't stand the ewoks, but Jedi is still my second favourite film (after Raiders.....though they tend to be interchangeable).

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Pete Wells on 14 December, 2017, 03:08:19 PM
I loved it!!!

Four of us went last night, three loved it, one didn't. So yeah, very decisive. PLEASE try and avoid spoilers!!!

Friend of mine saw it last night at the midnight showing and wasn't too keen but then saw it again with me, seven hours after his first viewing, and loved it.

I'm hoping for a similar experience once I've seen it again this weekend, this time in 3-D, at the weekend with my Wife and Son.